Cardiopulmonary and metabolic responses during a 2-day CPET in [ME/CFS]: translating reduced oxygen consumption [...], Keller et al, 2024

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Nightsong, Jul 5, 2024.

Tags:
  1. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would be good for someone with a background in exercise physiology to weigh in on this. Cardiopulmonary Exercise Test Methodology for Assessing Exertion Intolerance in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome writes
    I have had a look at “Cardiopulmonary Exercise Test Methodology for Assessing Exertion Intolerance in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome” https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/pediatrics/articles/10.3389/fped.2018.00242/full which is a guideline for performing 2-day CPETs in ME/CFS by van Ness (the person who first published on this subject in ME/CFS) and others. The guideline is very much focused on “this test provokes PEM” and the authors state that “CPET also elicits a robust post-exertional symptom flare (termed, post-exertional malaise)”.

Unfortunately I didn't find any information on how this had been ensured or was somehow quantified (I may have simply missed it).

Other than that the authors do state the importance and give ways to ensure that patients are at their “usual rested levels” before the 1st CPET procedure, which if always adhered to would reduce my worries on people being exhausted more than usual going into the first test

forestglip and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Later in the paper they say:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2024 at 12:19 PM
  3. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not a lot of correlation using Bell scale either. Lower scores indicate more severe disability.

BAS vs change in VO2 at VAT:
    bas_vo2diff.png

BAS vs change in workload at VAT:
    bas__wkld_diff.png

Correlations (only MECFS):
    upload_2024-8-31_10-7-35.png

Correlations (full cohort):
    upload_2024-8-31_10-10-39.png

ME/CFS Skeptic likes this.