Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is that "internal" chest pain, or "external", i.e. the chest muscles? I often get that after I've been moving stuff around, especially if it's heavy/cumbersome.

2. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had my booster yesterday (24 hours past) and so far nothing to report. No aching arm, no falling into a deep sleep afterwards, nothing at all really (so far)! Fingers crossed this holds true in the next few days. Same for my husband. (Though he was wiped out for 24hours following his 2nd shot.)

We had Pfizer first time, and the booster was Moderna. Happy to be vaccinated.

It was done by a local pharmacy who rented an extra shop space to deliver vaccines. Really efficient if quite basic in how it operated. Everyone masked.

3. Dom

Dom Established Member (Voting Rights)

@Wits_End well I had pain in my upper chest after moving stuff. It felt very much like exertion drove the pain as opposed to over use or something like that. First day after the jab it was more like chest tightness and having to breath in a lot. I take an inhaler twice a day but my asthma is very mild so I doubt it's that.

It seems to have gone now though. But my ME is starting to relapse. Not terribly bad at present but my energy envelope has been reduced.

I always wonder with no reaction. Does that mean no immune response occured? You see that in healthy people and severely ill people and it just makes me wonder what that is all about.

alktipping, MeSci, Mariaba and 7 others like this.
  4. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had my booster a few days ago (Pfizer), I felt more exhausted the next day and had nausea. Also that arm was hurting a lot, but I always get after vaccines. I’ve had a long nap today as well. But it’s been fine so far overall, the 2nd AZ was better than the 1st AZ. And this booster has been better than both of them. I had it done at home.

5. Wits_End

Well, FWIW I had a Pfizer booster yesterday, following on from two Astra Zenecas. Very sore arm, possibly a case of the sniffles, possibly a bit of a headache - although there's no guarantee that the last two are related to the vaccine in any way.

A friend who had also had two AZs had the Moderna booster, and reported a racing heart afterwards.

Neither of us have ME.

alktipping, MeSci, Mij and 10 others like this.
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've heard of several people being hospitalized for very high heart rate after the Moderna vaccine. A friend of mine thought that she was having a heart attack 24 hours after her shot, and the EMTs and the doctor in the ER also thought it was a heart attack first of all.

Sisyphus, alktipping, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  7. Wits_End

8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had the booster (Pfizer jab - 1st two were AZ). Headachy the following day but that's not exactly unusual. If anything I felt peculiarly well a few hours post jab and it took a lot self discipline to rest.

They did keep me in the surgery for 30 minutes to make sure I didn't have a bad reaction and also discussed what I would do if I had any problems later in the day.

Lured by the promise the flu jab this year is less likely to cause an allergic reaction than the older ones, I've also had the flu jab for the first time ever.

A slightly stiff arm for a bit and again a brief weird feeling of wellness, or perhaps more accurately, not feeling quite so ill as usual.

edit.- corrected the word usual to unusual.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    alktipping, hinterland, MeSci and 8 others like this.
  9. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good lump of a bruise today!
    (2 days post Moderna booster)
    Otherwise all good.

ukxmrv, hinterland, MeSci and 8 others like this.
  10. Dom

Dom Established Member (Voting Rights)

Day 5 Moderna now. Starting to get relapse of ME symptoms, dizziness with fatigue. It's not a severe relapse of symptoms though, not yet anyway. But incredibly dizzy. Also food seems to be bubbling away in my stomach or causing nausea and me to feel really rather sick. Slept for an hour on Saturday and 2 hours on Sunday - I don't normally nap at all so for me that's very out of the ordinary.

Also with the dizziness brain fog today, but not severe at present. My ME relapses with AZ occurred between Day 5 and Day 10, so not overly surprised really.

ukxmrv, hinterland, Binkie4 and 9 others like this.
  11. Wits_End

Had lunch with a former colleague today. When I mentioned my friend's problem with the Moderna booster, she said that a couple of people she knew who'd had it had been pretty unwell with it, although not with the pounding heart symptom. Presumably neither had ME.

I suppose one day we may start finding out what it is in people's particular profiles which makes them react to something while others don't ...

Binkie4, Ariel, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  12. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Had my booster on Wednesday this week:
    • 1st vaccination AZ - three days of severe reaction like bad PEM including severe headache, eased off and back to normal over a couple of days.
    • 2nd vaccination AZ - only one day of headache and sore arm.
    • Seasonal flue jab about a month ago - not had one for nearly 20 years, when my ME was not as severe, previously it would put me in bed for three weeks. Decided to risk it again this year as did not think I wanted to chance anything that might require hospital admission at present, and only had brief headache and sore arm, one day.
    • Booster Moderna - day after severe negative reaction, PEM like symptoms, chest pain and lung issues, though all potentially my ME symptoms, they got so bad I did wonder if I ought to call an ambulance by early evening in case I was experiencing heart problems. However fortunately today just a headache, sore throat and sore arm.
    Note - My earlier injections were at my GP surgery, but the booster, though a timed appointment, turned out to be at a venue also taking drop ins, so very busy with everything happening in a large hall with sections screened off. Though people were masked, this was probably the most Covid unsafe venue I have experienced since before the first 2020 lockdown. In retrospect I should have waited for an appointment at my GP’s.

13. Agapanthus

Agapanthus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had my booster exactly a week ago.
    1. Had Astra Zeneca 1st and 2nd dose earlier in the year. Felt very fatigued for 2 weeks after just one day's expected side effects for first dose. Second dose no reaction at all.
    2. Had flu vac for first time - no symptoms. Decided to have it on its own in October.
    3. Had Pfizer booster a week ago. Sore arm for 24 hrs, and headache, plus fluey feeling day 2. Headache and slight fluey feeling plus v slight offness of stomach kept recurring in ever decreasing amounts for the next week until yesterday. In the end just slightly in the evening. OK today thankfully.
    Arrangement for booster was a bit odd - went to a local pharmacy to avoid climb up a hill to my GP. At times 6 people quite close together in a small unventilated room.

14. Wits_End

Caree's GP says that surgeries etc. are getting Pfizer and pharmacies Moderna - not sure how widespread that is, but it might be something to take into consideration.

hibiscuswahine, MeSci, ukxmrv and 2 others like this.
  15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I had Pfizer booster at a pharmacy

hibiscuswahine, MeSci, Ariel and 2 others like this.
  16. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had my Covid booster just over 2 weeks ago.
    1st & 2nd shots were AZ
    Booster was Moderna at a pharmacy.

The pharmacy (Boots) was clearly doing it’s best in the space it had, but as masked socially distanced queuing was right next to shelves of products that people were leisurely browsing through maskless, it felt ridiculous. I’ll wait for the GP opportunity another time.

Side effects - headache, shivers/shaking including violent teeth chattering, sore arm, headache, ‘felt ill’, muscle and joint aches, pain around left kidney (for about half an hour?), touch sensitivity and prickling sensation of the skin on my feet and lower legs. Didn’t bother taking my temperature.

Altogether this went on for about 48 hours. The shivering etc was controlled pretty well but not entirely by paracetamol. The foot and leg sensations lasted about 24 hours. Interestingly I had both that and the kidney pain when I had Covid. The joint pain was in joints in my hands that I think I might be developing a touch of arthritis in.

I don’t know that Pfizer would have been any different, but I would prefer to avoid Moderna another time.

17. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes, me too.

am 7hrs post pfizer booster. feel a bit weird now, but all afternoon felt curiously not-ill. i was drowsy, i even dozed off, but not ill like usual. It was lovely, very hard to keep still!

Completely absurd situation getting it though. 13 people crammed into a room about 5x4 metres. 2 without masks, the rest with cloth or ill fitting surgical ones. Jab done it the broom cupboard... tiny room no ventilation. It'll be a miracle if i didnt get it while getting the booster. The hideous irony of giving vaccinations, to protect from something you are likely increasing the spread of while doing them. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

18. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Where did you get your vaccine done at? You can't go into any public buildings here without a mask.

MeSci, Peter Trewhitt, Trish and 2 others like this.
  19. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just had a Moderna booster at my GP at 10:10am , they were very accommodating and did the jab in the cab again.
    Had AZ for 1&2.

I felt OK for an hour then began to feel heat in my right jab arm and side. The jab site also began to ache and a mild headache started and is ongoing.

About five hours after the jab I felt an itching on my right leg behind the knee and found a fever blister welling up there which has since burst. Just one and no others evident so far. I googled it and found reports of various rashes associated with Moderna.

I did notice a mild feverish body heat and chilly feeling and have done my best to stay warm.

I avoided high protein food like meat which since COVID has been more likely to cause me a headache. Just had garri mash (cassava) and mayonnaise for lunch and avoided my usual pistachio snack. I think it would be worse if I hadn't from past experiences. Still feel mildly grotty and fluey.

MeSci, Kitty, hibiscuswahine and 4 others like this.
  20. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

at a local pharmacy. You are allowed anywhere without a mask in uk if you are exempt from wearing one for medical reasons. And in the uk it's a "face covering" not really a 'mask' anyway, so a scarf would suffice.

MeSci, boolybooly, TigerLilea and 4 others like this.