Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

24hrs after Moderna booster and muscles and joints ache all over.

owww!

PS my postman had the same jab and said he feels the same.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    AliceLily, ukxmrv, Leila and 7 others like this.
  2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

well i had pfizer thought i was goin get away with it, but yikes 26hrs on same, the aching all over + nausea are gettin intense, no fever yet hope it desnt come.

3. Kalph

Kalph Established Member

I was doing well for some years. Sick, but I would classify it as mild. I did alright if I paced myself. I was able to leave my home.

1st Moderna dose - General flu like symptoms for 2 weeks. At the time I was worried it would not pass, but I had pretty robust improvement.

2nd Moderna dose (June) - I had the dose in the afternoon. By the evening I was in a hard crash.

This time there has been no robust improvement. I have had mild improvement since then, but I am still housebound. I try and remain hopeful as I have eventually rebounded from sustained crashes in the past (although often not to my previous level of activity).

I am worried that with the booster I will erase my gains. I feel that my body is in a fragile state and cannot handle additional stressors at this time.

AliceLily, Ebb Tide, MeSci and 13 others like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

such a hard decision, i feel for you & the others here in similar predicament. the worst of it is having no useful medical involvement, knowledge, support, as usual we get bugger all :emoji_unamused:

5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My ME was mild/moderate for 30 years until the covid vaccines. I had my second Moderna shot on July 1st and I'm still far from recovered. My doctor wants me to go for the next shot (not a booster) as I'm considered immunocompromised. Then I would still need a booster at a later date. It scares the hell out of me getting it because if I get any worse I'm going to be bedridden. I might get lucky and not have an adverse reaction this time, but as I'm not recovered from the first two vaccines, I think it's highly likely that I will have a reaction a third time. I've had to quit working part-time because I'm so fatigued that I can't think anymore. Sitting at the computer and typing is hard to do which I've never had a problem with in the past. Even reading I find much harder to do now. I have to reread things, sometimes several times, to grasp the meaning. :(

AliceLily, Mij, Lilas and 16 others like this.
  6. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

48 hours after Moderna booster I am back to baseline with an arm which feels a bit bruised. Was a nasty 48 hours though.

I should add my baseline is moderate to severe ME similar to where @TigerLilea and @Kalph are at (as above) ever since suspected COVID infection in Dec 2019.

I have been completely housebound since then due to bad PEM for trivial exertion and have had a series of frequent migraine headaches related to PEM + fluctuation + food intolerance (high protein foods except beef) at least once a week which leaves me feeling out to lunch much of the time.

I have the luxury of blaming the virus for these and the vaccines have not made much difference either way, except for the short term affects which have been quite unpleasant for first time with AZ and Moderna though the second AZ and flu jab were very mild.

I have read that having COVID and then Moderna leads to a worse reaction to the first jab but less to the second, whereas if you have not had COVID the second Moderna is reported as worse than the first.

7. Dom

Dom Established Member (Voting Rights)

It's been about 14 days now since my moderna half dose and I am back at about 50% function so really pleased. Side effects were pretty mild in all honesty, must have been 3 days of virally type symptoms. Certainly haven't been any long term effects which is good and heart has returned to normal.

I think I'll be back to normal in another 2 weeks, quite a contrast to the 12 weeks it took with the two az's and the 6 weeks it took with the flu vaccine.

Missense, AliceLily, Sean and 9 others like this.
  8. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

That was on June 8th, the numbness went away again after 2 days. Just had my Moderna booster 6 hours ago. To be honest I was rather apprehensive about side effects, reading everyone else's posts on this thread and anecdotes from people I know, but so far so good. I had the face thing again, but less and it seems to be easing off already.

Missense, AliceLily, Sean and 10 others like this.
  9. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to social media posts by ME-patients at Bragée ME-center in Sweden, Bragée are asking all their current ME-patients to fill out a questionnaire about whether they have had covid-19 or if they are vaccinated, and their reactions.

The aim stated in the invitation is to use this information to give advice to their patients.

Ariel, Missense, AliceLily and 5 others like this.
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Due for my Covid vaccine booster next week, already booked a time. My first two were Astra Zeneca, this one will be Pfizer. Hope to report on comparisons and also because I don't recall reading responses from ME patients who started with Astra Zeneca and moved to Pfizer.

Might be crashed for Christmas. Yippie.

11. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had AZ followed by Pfizer.

I am probably still alive.

I'm not medically qualified so......I can't say for certain.

Missense, Mij, AliceLily and 7 others like this.
  12. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Unfortunately forum rules don't allow medical advice or diagnoses, so I'll just say I suspect you may be.

13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With ME who can say? Some days I feel and act like a slow zombie, but fortunately no flesh or brain eating episodes yet.

14. TigerLilea

My second Moderna was definitely much worse than the first. A good friend of mine had no problem with her first Moderna and ended up in the ER 24 hours after the second Moderna shot because she thought she was having a heart attack. So did the EMTs and the ER physician. All tests came back as normal and within a few hours all of her symptoms disappeared. She's been told that the next time she has a covid vaccine she has to be hospitalized to have it.

Ariel, Missense, AliceLily and 6 others like this.
  15. TigerLilea

My adverse reactions to the Moderna shots took five days to happen after the first vaccine and almost four weeks after the second vaccine. It wasn't immediate.

Ariel, Missense, AliceLily and 6 others like this.
  16. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Out of curiosity, has anyone had any weird rashes after their vaccine, especially vascular type ones?

As reported earlier my overall experience with Pfizer was unexpectedly good with a temporary improvement in ME symptoms after both shots. But I'm speculating about some skin symptoms.

Around the time of shot 1 (I think after, but not 100% sure) I got some weird rash on my hands of a type I'd never had before that looked most like lichen nitidus, based on comparison to Internet photos. If that is indeed the correct diagnosis, then Healthline tells us that "The papules are the result of inflammation by white blood cells known as T lymphocytes [... ] No one’s sure why the T lymphocytes become active in lichen nitidus". I didn't do anything about it and it's slowly clearing up now, so just curious if this sort of thing could be triggered by vaccination?

Some weeks after my second shot I got a different rash. This one looks identical to rashes I've been getting on and off these last 2 years and that a GP thought were "some sort of capillaritis". These past ones were very small patches on the inside wrists and conveniently self-resolving. The new one started about 7 weeks after the vaccination near the vaccination site and slowly spread down the length of the arm with a remarkably defined border, almost as if someone drew a straight line with a ruler down my arm. Plus there's a lot more blood leaking out of the capillaries than with the past small rashes. Looks quite dramatic*. A few weeks later additional but milder patches appeared on the other arm and the legs, too, just to confuse things.

I found some case reports online reporting similar looking rashes post-vax. One was 6 weeks after vaccination, the others much earlier (so my 7 weeks would be an outlier if connected at all). Some case reports were linked to thrombocytopenia. That seems an unlikely explanation for me because I don't have any other bleeding and coincidentally had some blood tests shortly before the rash appeared and platelets were their usual low-normal (I'll be tested again in about a month). Just had a thought: the blood tests were done during my regular venesection which was done on the same arm as the vax and the nurse put a pressure strap straight across the vax site on my upper arm. Could that have triggered anything? Can't really see how, a whole 6 weeks after the vax, but who knows.

Anyway, just curious if there's something in the way the immune response develops after a vax that could trigger such vascular rashes in predisposed people (@Snow Leopard?) so many weeks later? And, though it's clearly not common, if anyone else has had a similar experience?

*I considered posting a photo but I have a feeling militant anti-vaxxers are trawling the Internet and I would hate to see my arm used as "proof" of their claims. With anti-vaxxers I don't mean present company of course. My heart goes out to those of you who had or are having major deterioration after the vaccine. Talk about a choice between pest and cholera when it comes to deciding whether to have further shots! On the one hand there's a risk of further bad negative vaccine reactions but no even half-reliable information on which to base a personal risk assessment. On the other hand the risk of catching the virus itself is higher than ever with the new variants. There just isn't a good solution :(

Ariel, Mij, AliceLily and 9 others like this.
  18. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I woke up from a horrible dream this morning. I was given up to 3-5 COVID booster shots into my knee. The pain!

I'm not due for the real thing until Feb, I hope I can get it sooner.

Ariel, Ravn, TigerLilea and 9 others like this.
  19. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My booster is also due in February. I'm reconsidering not getting it since I'm going to be isolating more during the winter months.

Who knows, maybe another variant will start circulating and I can skip the third and go straight to the fourth jab in the late Spring?

Ariel, Binkie4, Ravn and 3 others like this.
  20. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me, my booster (3rd Pfizer dose) is scheduled for January 14, which unfortunately still means a virtual Christmas via Facetime this year, for me and my loved ones. In my Province, it is currently an explosion of cases of covid, unheard of since the start of the pandemic. Omicron has become a specter here practically everywhere now, and the vaccination for the 3rd dose is really not far enough advanced. At least, our government has just woken up and will do everything to increase the pace, nevertheless our PM could have reacted much sooner in my opinion, given what was already happening in Europe.

Ariel, Binkie4, Ravn and 7 others like this.