1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On Saturday, the Vietnamese authorities revealed they had discovered a “very dangerous” new coronavirus variant that combined mutations first found in India and the UK, and which spreads quickly by air.

Local experts say that although the full genomic sequence of Vietnam's potential hybrid was still unclear, initial reports on the ground were worrying.

Michelle, Sean, Yessica and 4 others like this.
  2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh good, that's just what we need :rolleyes:

TigerLilea, Sean, Yessica and 3 others like this.
  3. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not specific to Covid, and I'm wondering whether (and where) I should actually start a new thread, but I watched much of the Channel 4 documentary "The Anti-Vax Conspiracy" tonight with mounting concern: the anti-vax movement seems to be a lot more powerful and widespread (as well as anti-science) than I had realised, has had a huge boost due to Covid, and is targeting, among others, ethnic minorities by playing on their concerns and fears. It was suggested that it even has enough momentum to prevent the fight against Covid from succeeding :(

For those who can (and want to) watch it, the All4 link is here, available for 30 days:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-anti-vax-conspiracy

It was also quite enlightening on a number of other fronts, and I now have a better understanding of why *we* in the ME community are struggling to make progress, as well.

Binkie4, Ebb Tide, Yessica and 3 others like this.
  4. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Binkie4, Yessica and Wonko like this.
  5. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This was taken from the BBC today
    Can someone explain why it would be controversial to vaccinate teenagers in Scotland and why would vaccinating the rest of the world protect against variants,( more than vaccinating teenagers in Scotland).

JemPD and Snow Leopard like this.
  6. Mij

@BurnA

Our situation in Canada is a little different than the UK. We have limited vaccines available and need to vaccinate the most vulnerable (seniors and immune compromised) with second jabs first before 12 yr olds. We only have 7% of our population immunized with second doses.

Yessica, JemPD and MeSci like this.
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Our vaccine supply has improved significantly over the past few weeks. Here in BC they are now vaccinating ages 12 and up. Also for those of us who are seniors or are medically vulnerable we can now register for our second shot. I'm booked for July 1st.

Yessica, JemPD, MeSci and 1 other person like this.
  8. TigerLilea

It makes sense to me to be vaccinating the teens as they are the ones more likely to be in contact with someone with covid.

JemPD likes this.
  9. Mij

My point from BurnA post was that we should donate/share more of our vaccines with underdeveloped/poorer countries and not vaccination our 12 yr olds right now.

India has 1.2 billion people, and with new variants developing, we will be back at square one if we don't contain the transmission. New variants are a lot more transmissible now.

Wits_End, Binkie4, JemPD and 3 others like this.
  10. BurnA

But I don't see why then teens need to be the ones who miss out.
    I understand that the whole world needs vaccines and before everyone gets vaccinated we are all at some level of risk.
    But that logic applied when they were vaccinating the 20 Yr olds, 30 yr olds etc.
    Now it seems they are becoming conscientious just when it's time to vaccinate teenagers?

I understand that variants might develop more in a country with greater incidence, but if the world's teenagers are going to remain unvaccinated surely they represent a big a risk also.

JemPD and TigerLilea like this.
  11. Mij

@BurnA

Are you aware that over 80% of vaccines have been allocated to richer countries? There is a fundamental injustice here.

Canada dipped into the COVAX supply which is for undeveloped countries. This week a direct cash commitment was doubled to COVAX to help buy COVID-19 vaccines for the global sharing program — but it isn't sending any doses, despite pleas from officials for help.

The 12 yr old can wait imo.

Skycloud likes this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think the point is in countries where almost all the adult population has been vaccinated there will be far less spread of the virus, so that reduces the chances of everyone unvaccinated including children of catching the virus, and with smaller numbers of cases there's more chance of test trace and isolate working to reduce spread further.

Whereas in countries where there is very little vaccination so far, the virus can spread massively, as has happened in India, and more dangerous variants arise which will inevitably spread all over the world. So it's vital more vaccine is distributed to countries with very little as soon as possible for the sake of their people and the whole world.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    Wits_End, Binkie4, alex3619 and 8 others like this.
  13. BurnA

Thanks. But when we talk of herd immunity my understanding was that the herd is a cross sectional % of the entire population.

There are roughly 20% under 18, and all this age category attend school and play sports etc. together. So the virus would run rampant in this age group. I don't see how it would be slowed down eneough just because adults have been vaccinated.

I think it would be very hard to keep schools open without vaccinating teenagers.

14. TigerLilea

I don't agree. I think that they should be vaccinated, and, the sooner, the better.

15. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This comes down to questions of is one life worth more than another, and which countries are best equipped to meet the challenges of variants in my opinion. The U.K is a wealthy country, with the resources to develop a range of strategies, not just vaccine use, to meet the challenge of variants if (eta - if/when!) they arise here. We should, if we are competent, be able to respond with advantages that the vast majority of countries in the world don’t have, to a better level than they could.

For example should my healthy 20something year old children with no children of their own be vaccinated before a grandmother and sole provider looking after her orphaned grandchildren in a poor country? There is a horrible narrative of sharp elbows and entitlement around vaccines. I’m ashamed of it.

Richer more powerful countries are free to do as they want, just as they always have done, but we shouldn’t think the poorer countries don’t see who we are.

edit to last sentence to soften my tone a bit. It’s a difficult area and many opinions on it. I’m glad it’s not me making the decisions.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    Yessica, MeSci, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  16. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

India could make more than enough doses, not only for themselves but for other countries - if not for the fact that the corporations who own the intellectual property have decided to maximise profit and only grant exclusive licenses (Serum Institute of India) nor not grant licenses at all because there is no money to be made.

Michelle, Amw66, JemPD and 4 others like this.
  17. Trish

I agree in principle, it's more a question of the order of priority when there is limited supply. And that is a moral question as well as a scientific one.

Wits_End, JemPD, Mij and 3 others like this.
  18. Trish

I hadn't realised it was that bad. Oh dear. What a world we live in.

JemPD, MeSci and Skycloud like this.
  19. Mij

I won't get into politics, but PM Modi failed the people of India and now they need urgent help.

In early March PM Modi assured PM Trudeau that they would do their best to support Canada's vaccination efforts. We were desperate. We temporarily suspended the AZ vaccines and they were sitting in fridges. Now Canada has decided to extend the expiration dates for second jabs of AZ. I hardly find that noble when India is dealing with a catastrophe.

Yessica, Sarah94 and JemPD like this.
  20. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Getting my first dose of vaccine tomorrow. Pfizer.

My GP surgery texted me yesterday to invite me to come for the vaccine. I was planning to wait a bit, because as a housebound person I'm at much less risk than others in my age group, but since the GP surgery has got the doses, it would make no sense to not get it whilst they're offering it.