1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it was done in mice. They like their vaccinations before breakfast so they can do a bit of scratching. I personally like a vaccination either at 11.30 am so that I can get home for lunch before it starts to itch - or just before tea time.

I can't see health services going in for the idea that when there is a pandemic everyone should be vaccinated at 9.45 precisely. Seems a bit daft to me.

RedFox, FMMM1, hibiscuswahine and 5 others like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RedFox, MeSci, hibiscuswahine and 4 others like this.
  3. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

About a month ago which was 14 months after my third vaccine, I experienced a mild electric shock sensation in the back of my right leg, never experienced before. It has been followed by intermittent mild tingling in both lower legs, never experienced before.

It seems a long time after vacc for a symptom ( assuming that this is what it is - a neuropathy) to develop.

4. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It does, doesn't it? What makes you think it's due to the vaccine, after such a long period?

Milo, Binkie4, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fourteen months later seems rather late for an adverse reaction to a vaccine.

Wits_End, MeSci, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.
  6. Binkie4

I agree. Nothing like the earlier responses which were minutes after vaccination.
    For me, one of the effects of an extreme response to the vaccine has been a loss of confidence in my body, in how I will react to perfectly ordinary things. I did take the flu vaccine this winter as I have for many winters but I was very frightened. Next week I am to have a medical procedure under radiographic guidance and again I am very nervous. Rather than assuming my body will just deal with it as I did before these events, I am anxious about what is happening and how I will react, about whether something unexpected will happen. I do find it difficult.

7. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Covid: Last chance for adults under 50 to get booster
    4 February 2023
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64496025

8. Binkie4

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...r8mpNShviWyiawQ0PntEDhNbOMe_ELLxk1LvKMhKfAkJA

"In a recent study published in Pathogens, researchers discussed the safety of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccines in healthy people and patients with autoimmunity or cardiac issues."

Conclusion
    Taken together, the authors discussed COVID-19 vaccine safety and associated adverse events. The scientific community must determine whether the existing nucleic acid-based vaccines should be continued for at-risk individuals with autoimmunity when the long-term effects of vaccination are unclear (in these sub-populations). The development of COVID-19 vaccines using conventional technologies may be desirable for older adults and at-risk individuals.

I hope this work is done quickly so that consent for the vaccine can be as informed as possible. As someone with both autoimmune and cardiac issues now advised to take no further vaccine, I know I have been exposed to risk in taking the existing covid 19 vaccines. I would have been exposed to risk too had I not taken them: I recognise that. With my adverse effects still ongoing, I would wish for swift developments so that more accurate information can be given re risk at the time of giving consent, and safer alternatives to the current vaccines be developed for those at risk.

9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Autoimmunity is not generally a risk factor for problems with vaccines as far as I am aware. This article appeared in an obscure journal and may be written by people either with no real expertise or with preconceived ideas.

Apart from anything else I am not sure that there is any evidence regarding this new type of vaccine anyway - so it sounds like idle speculation at least from he abstract.

Ariel, Wits_End, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  10. TigerLilea

I can't have any more vaccines either. Before the covid vaccines I'd never ever had a problem with vaccines.

Ariel, Lilas, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  11. Binkie4

Nor I.

Ariel, Lilas, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  12. TigerLilea

:hug:

Binkie4, MeSci and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  13. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to add confusion; over the Millennium New Year I had a bad dose of flue (virus not formally confirmed) which triggered a major relapse in my ME. In the years following that the flue jab would knock me out for three weeks each time I had it, so after several years I stopped having it as I had then had to take ill health retirement and generally could avoid people with flue/colds and avoid others if I was worried I might have a bug.

In contrast I have had no adverse effects from the Covid jabs after the first few days and have now restarted the flue jab with no noticeable effects at all.

(Added - Part of the variation of ME. I have had periods when I seem to get every bug going, and periods where I never seem to catch anything, though often it is not possible to distinguish PEM from a mild infection that doesn’t seem to fully develop. So I guess if we have only ME, it is a matter of trying to guess if we are in the group likely to respond badly to vaccines or the group that is OK with them, and it is possible over time we could switch between groups. Yet another aspect of the natural history of ME that has not been described adequately.)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    Ariel, Binkie4, Lilas and 5 others like this.
  14. Mij

Guillain-Barre syndrome following COVID-19 vaccines: A review of literature.

Objective: This study aimed to retrospectively analyze reported Guillain–Barré syndrome (GBS) cases that occurred after COVID-19 vaccination.

Methods: Case reports of GBS following COVID-19 vaccination that were published before May 14, 2022, were retrieved from PubMed. The cases were retrospectively analyzed for their basic characteristics, vaccine types, the number of vaccination doses before onset, clinical manifestations, laboratory test results, neurophysiological examination results, treatment, and prognosis.

Results: Retrospective analysis of 60 case reports revealed that post-COVID-19 vaccination GBS occurred mostly after the first dose of the vaccination (54 cases, 90%) and was common for DNA vaccination (38 cases, 63%), common in middle-aged and elderly people (mean age: 54.5 years), and also common in men (36 cases, 60%). The mean time from vaccination to onset was 12.3 days. The classical GBS (31 cases, 52%) was the major clinical classification and the AIDP subtype (37 cases, 71%) was the major neurophysiological subtype, but the positive rate of anti-ganglioside antibodies was low (7 cases, 20%). Bilateral facial nerve palsy (76% vs 18%) and facial palsy with distal paresthesia (38% vs 5%) were more common for DNA vaccination than for RNA vaccination.

Conclusion: After reviewing the literature, we proposed a possible association between the risk of GBS and the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccines, especially DNA vaccines. The higher rate of facial involvement and a lower positive rate of anti-ganglioside antibodies may be a characteristic feature of GBS following COVID-19 vaccination. The causal relationship between GBS and COVID-19 vaccination remains speculative, more research is needed to establish an association between GBS and COVID-19 vaccination. We recommend surveillance for GBS following vaccination, because it is important in determining the true incidence of GBS following COVID-19 vaccination, as well as in the development of a more safer vaccine.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2023.1078197/full

MeSci, Hutan, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  15. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long-term effects of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccinations on platelets (2022)

Ariel, Peter Trewhitt, obeat and 5 others like this.
  16. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  17. Mij

Binkie4, RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  18. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved posts

Mentions CFS
    Compensation denied to hundreds of Covid vaccine victims suffering 'severe' side effects

Compensation denied to hundreds of Covid vaccine victims suffering 'severe' side effects (msn.com)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2023
    mango, Binkie4, Sean and 4 others like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, yes, that's exactly what the recently heavily-fueled antivaccine movement needed: more fuel, tankers worth of it. No way this backfires.

Clearly the way to approach a politicized issue is to politicize it further. The amount of censorship in healthcare is seriously absurd.

Wits_End, Hutan, Sean and 4 others like this.
  20. Binkie4

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...s-higher-risk-death-heart-issues-astrazeneca/

"The risk of dying from heart issues was three and a half times higher among young women in the first three months after a single dose of the AstraZeneca Covid vaccine, according to a new study.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) analysed hospitalisations, vaccination records and death registrations in England among 12 to 29 year-olds to assess the impact of the Covid-19 jab and infection.

After one dose of a non-mRNA vaccine, which includes the AstraZeneca jab, there was evidence of an increased risk of cardiac death in young women, the ONS said

"The 3.5-times greater risk among young women following the AstraZeneca jab corresponds to six cardiac-related deaths per 100,000 vaccinated with at least a first dose, according to the study, which was published in the journal Nature Communications.

Most of the young people who received the AstraZeneca jab before April 2021 would have been prioritised due to underlying health conditions, or because they were healthcare workers.

Therefore, the 3.5 times greater risk cannot be generalised to the whole population, the ONS said."

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    RedFox, Ariel, Mij and 6 others like this.