Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which one's the Sanofi, please? I hadn't heard of that one before.

Ash, Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My decision is made. I will be getting the updated version of Covid vaccine in December.

RedFox, Ash, Sean and 6 others like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ischemic Stroke after Bivalent COVID-19 Vaccination: A Self-Controlled Case Series Study (2023, Preprint: MedRxiv, Kaiser Permanente Vaccine Study Center)

RedFox, Ash, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  5. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just got the Autumn booster - which was the “new” Pfizer vaccine (U.K.) - does anyone know, is this the updated one that covers the variants that are currently in circulation?

Starlight, Ash, Sarah94 and 5 others like this.
  6. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It said on my bit of paper that it's been adjusted to take account of the Omicron sub-variants, so I imagine so. They're always going to be one or two steps behind, but it doesn't necessarily make a lot of difference.

Binkie4, Starlight, Ash and 2 others like this.
  7. Trish

I had the Phizer one a week ago. It says on the documents I was given that it's XBB 1.5 which is the most updated version available anywhere, I think.

Ariel, Binkie4, Starlight and 5 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I wasn’t given any info and because I was distracted by having the Covid as well as the planned flu vaccine I was expecting to have I didn’t think to ask. I had a look on the record I can see online and there wasn’t any detail. I feel like the surgery have got enough on their plate so I will just wait til next time I contact them and try to remember to ask :confused:

Binkie4, Kitty, Starlight and 4 others like this.
  9. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did you get much side effects?

Previously I've had very mild side effects from Pfizer but I don't know if that'll be the same for the updated one?

Wonko, Binkie4, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  10. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I may of had covid at the beginning of 2020 (jan) but this is before it was official.
    It was flu like and reminded me of asthma a bit with the breathing,as this was before official covid I still had the wisdom to keep people away from me saying I had an unusual flu
    I never had the vaccine and don’t feel I need it as I don’t usually get infections
    I think I may of had covid a few times after that and the only symptom is tinnitus which I’ve never had before
    I think it’s made my cfs a bit worse, but it’s not a new thing just a bit more post viral

Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
  11. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had, what I was told, the latest Pfizer booster yesterday. I got it on grounds of age, just scraped it, as I will be 65 next month. My PA got it on the grounds of being my carer (she works with another person with ME too). Had I been a few months younger would have been in the position that my PA would have been eligible and I would not.

So far the injection site is mildly sore and I have a mild headache. Fingers crossed that I will get away with just this, though I have battened down the hatches not needing to open the front door till Monday, partly to allow rest as I have been out twice this week but also to escape Storm Babet. Fortunately we are just in an Amber Warning area here in my bit of the English Midlands. (My heart goes out to anyone with ME subject to natural disaster.)

12. Trish

Very mild again.
    Pretty much the same as previous times - about 2 days of sore arm, increased ME pain and slightly raised temperature (about 1 degree C above my normal). I took some paracetamol.

13. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw my GP today and he has confirmed that it would be unsafe for me to have another mRNA vaccination. He will ensure it is written in my notes.

He did mention an interesting point, that in 2/3 years the flu and mRNA covid vaccine will be combined into one vaccine. I will need to ensure I have one that is just for flu.

He also mentioned that the vaccine invitations which I continue to get frequently are being sent out by Public Health England, not the NHS, which is why even people who are dead are being called.

Wonko, Ariel, AliceLily and 9 others like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

Post-Vaccination Syndrome: A Descriptive Analysis of Reported Symptoms and Patient Experiences After Covid-19 Immunization (2023, Preprint: MedRxiv)
    Putrino, Iwasaki et al

Wonko, Ariel, Binkie4 and 5 others like this.
  15. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ALERT

If you are buying LFTs, check that they are not expired.
    I still ask people who are mixing widely to check with an LFT before they see me and provide an LFT if necessary.
    We had lots of free ones from when the pandemic was very active but are running out so ordered some from Boots. When Mr B collected them he noticed that over half were past or just on their expiry date. They will need replacing but I never leave the house to do errands so it's more hassle for Mr B. Carers do not need this extra work.

Wonko, Ariel, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  16. Trish

What are LFT's?

Edit: I realised moments after posting:
    Lateral Flow Tests.

17. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I took the Pfizer XBB 1.5 earlier this week (this is sadly outdated already with the variants where I live), a bit sore in the arm but not in a way that made me unable to use it. Got influenza at the same time. Haven't felt much different than usual. My boyfriend got problems lifting his arm where he got the covid vaccine, but it went away in a day although was sore for an additional day.

18. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, and a lot of the free ones issued during the pandemic aren't valid beyond January 2024. I fear I may be having to use mine up over the next few days, anyway :(

Kitty, Binkie4, Midnattsol and 3 others like this.
  19. SNT Gatchaman

Peter Trewhitt, MeSci, Trish and 2 others like this.
  20. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

November 30 blog post by Hilda Bastian about next generation Covid vaccines:

Advancing Past Early Trials – Plus Shooting for Lifelong Immunity (Next Generation Covid Vax Update 12)

https://absolutelymaybe.plos.org/20...immunity-next-generation-covid-vax-update-12/