David Tuller crowdfund: Trial By Error: Reporting on ME/CFS and Related Controversies

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Andy, Mar 27, 2019.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

$65,835, 69% of total, 654 donors.

10 days left.

Starlight, Barry, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He does write in English!

There are lots of people whose investigative work I respect and value, but actually donating to it is quite a different thing. It doesn't surprise me that many Ifewer people donate than support David's work.

Dolphin, Sean, Barry and 5 others like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've seen Hello Hello, all Germans speak perfect English.

ladycatlover, TiredSam, Sean and 6 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought it was called 'Allo 'Allo and it was all in French wasn't it? The English people could hardly speak at all.

ladycatlover, Sean, Barry and 8 others like this.
  5. Wonko

This may be so, if so my French has improved, and surely after many years of cognitive impairment you can't possibly expect me to remember the difference between words that not only mean the same thing but also mean the same thing?

ladycatlover, Barry, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Allô. Please, we are civilized and do not leave pronunciation to guesswork. :p

Lisa108, Barry, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

That's not wot it says on Wikipedia.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apparently both are technically valid but I've only ever seen the civilized form in use.

But the convenience of accents is more than made up with having to know the gender of every damn noun. That is one big annoyance for anyone learning the language.

9. Jonathan Edwards

Not sure there was anything civilised about René and thingamyjig.

Barry likes this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

You should remember to say things only once!

Barry and Wonko like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Starlight, Lisa108, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  13. Fernweh

Fernweh Established Member (Voting Rights)

I am also a bit saddened to see this and wonder why this is the case.

I think that David writing in English is only part of the problem (I had contact with a patient who grew up in East Germany before the wall came down, and like many others, she didn't have the oppurtunity to learn English, so there are quite a number of people who don't speak or read English at all). I have to admit that I didn't even try to search for German groups/ forums during the last decade. But when I started looking for information over a decade ago, there was almost nothing of interest from German websites and I was of the opinion that most German PWME are following UK or US based groups. In this case there certainly have to be a lot more patients who are aware of David's work.

I have donated the first time and also donated this time and I haven't regreted a single Cent so far, which means a lot for someone from the southwest of Germany (there is this joke where they say that we are Scots who were banned from Scotland for being too parsimonious...)

I can only encourage people to donate, since we desperately need more people to stand up against bad science in public and to protect (or re-establish?) common sense in order to create an environment for real progress to happen (regardless if it is about ME/CFS or any other subject).

Great work @dave30th !

Auf geht's, Leute! Bitte spendet, wenn Ihr könnt!

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

ukxmrv, Hutan, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  15. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I think that might be a biased sample. All the German actors who couldn't speak English weren't allowed to be on it because the British audience wouldn't understand them. Blatent discrimination, with subtitles or dubbing they could have thrown the roles open to everyone.

Ja ja, mach' ich gleich.

MEMarge, Inara, NelliePledge and 2 others like this.
  16. Wonko

Nah - it's been going on for as long as there has been video, it's only recently that anyone european has started speaking anything other than English on any video, even aliens from other planets speak perfect English. Even the ancestral Klingons picked it up within a few episodes.

They only start speaking other languages when someone from a known English speaking country enters, probably to show how much they dislike us.

I've met lots of Germans (3, that must be nearly all of them), they all spoke good English. I've met people from all over the world, and if they weren't involved in a public service industry (taxi drivers, customer services, doctors, etc.) they all spoke perfect English.

Everyone speaks English, it's just most of them hate us, so like to have a means of communicating this. It's got much worse since the world became in colour, it seems we were hated less before that, but I don't know as I wasn't personally present during the black and white age.

ladycatlover and TiredSam like this.
  17. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Now come along, the BBC has recently shown some crime series where everyone is Scandanavian and only Scandanavians got the roles, whether they could speak English or not, and nobody spoke any English in the film. You could tell they were all Scandanavian because of their jumpers. Although I must admit that this equal opportunities policy only became possible once the technology of subtitles was invented.
    If you could make to it my village I could show you a few Germans who don't speak a word of English. Although it's entirely possible that they just say that when I'm around, but if so they've been keeping it up consistently for 20 years. I thought it was only the French who did that.

Hmm. I'll see if I can catch them out.

18. Wonko

You appear to be suggesting that either the historical records, those on video, are wrong, or that the people who made them were liars? What would be their motive? Their gain from doing so?

My hypothesis seems much more likely, given how the English have behaved towards the rest of the world, and for all I know, the universe. Which would also explain why everyone knows English, how could they predict what dastardly sneaky thing we were going to do next if they didn't? And mines backed up by the video historical records.

:rofl::rofl:

ladycatlover and TiredSam like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

JaneL, MEMarge, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  20. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like we won't make it unless some wealthy donors have held back to see how much will be needed.

Barry, MEMarge and Starlight like this.