Maeve Boothby O'Neill - articles about her life, death and inquest

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by dave30th, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Guardian article
    Comments on the Guardian article are now closed, but there are 69 comments. I didn't read them all, but there are excellent comments there. Thanks to everyone who made the effort to set the record straight.

Miller has been beating that particular drum for a long time. That Guardian article is pretty much a copy paste of his 2017 statement here:
    (Not a recommendation) Alastair Miller on CFS
    where he was upset about the ungrateful CFS patients who weren't appreciating the hard and selfless work of the BPS doctors.

Ariel, Ash, hibiscuswahine and 22 others like this.
  2. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He needs CBT

hibiscuswahine, Lilas, MeSci and 16 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

:rofl:
    There does seem to be evidence of 'unhelpful rumination' there.

Ash, hibiscuswahine, rvallee and 18 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The standard shameless sophistry and lying they have been indulging in since forever.

Ariel, Ash, hibiscuswahine and 18 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

And they have gall to accuse us of being stuck in rigid stereotypical thinking? It is beyond parody.
    Very good question.
    It is the perfect excuse mechanism. Nobody can disprove it. Even if a full biological explanation and cure is found they will still claim there is a 'functional overlay', to avoid having to face up to themselves. They are cowards.
    Exactly. What they are really saying is that they don't want to face what that appalling choice is and why patients are faced with it.
    It is even worse than that. The health system gives out contradictory messages about stuff like this. Don't delay if you have these symptoms! Go straight to the hospital! Etc.

Even if a particular presentation is due to anxiety, that in no way rules out it being a serious cardio-vascular issue next time.

The system is so broken on this stuff it is difficult to know where to start on rebuild job.

Ariel, Ash, hibiscuswahine and 17 others like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I should have put "non-cardiac" chest pain in women in quotes or "so-called" there as of course it's cardiac much of the time.

RedFox, Ash, hibiscuswahine and 11 others like this.
  7. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's literally trying to hijack the narrative with the title he chose now isn't it.

8. Chestnut tree

Chestnut tree Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry to be a Debby Downer but from a money/power standpoint they are so in control because insurers/governments/media seem to be psycho quackery proponents and we have ourselves and ME organization that ar or underfunded or have dubious links to governments/ reseachers who support the psycho quackery. For better outcomes we need to rectify this power imbalance.

Ariel, Missense, Lou B Lou and 10 others like this.
  9. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He was talking about clinical practice not trials. You can find a trial out there for any quackery for cancer including Chinese herbs.

10. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Multidisciplinary approach is a codeword for getting psych involved.

Ariel, Sly Saint, Amw66 and 16 others like this.
  11. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not necessarily - depends on who is using it and in what context!

12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think it is even that specific, it just means passing the buck.

Ariel, hibiscuswahine, MeSci and 8 others like this.
  13. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(post has been copied to the Qeios Management of Nutritional Failure, Edwards thread)
    From the perspective of another potential paper on this subject I think there are several points raised by the inquest, in addition to the context of the RCP working group document, that might be worth considering (there are undoubtedly more but these are the ones that come immediately to mind; I haven't referred back to my notes and am writing from memory):

a) How early enteral feeding should be considered in the context of ongoing oral intake but when there is diminishing ability to eat / nutritional status seems to be declining (RC guidance was raised in this context against Weir's suggestion of early enteral feeding).

b) Roy's argument regarding disuse atrophy IMHO deserves exploration.

c) It might be useful to explore where Weir's view came from that some of the research performed about the necessity of enteral feeding while elevated was performed in stroke patients with impaired cough & swallow reflexes and so the aspiration risks may not be as significant as generally thought in pwME. Roy was adamant this was not relevant and the only relevant factor was that of gravity but may be useful to explore the research, such that it is, around feeding while elevated.

d) Also, from Warren's testimony, in the context of NG feeding, there was a reference to a trial of an NG being dependent on a minimum angle of 30 degrees but preferably 45 degrees. Not sure where the 30 degree angle comes from but the origins of the 30 and 45 degree values may be useful to explore.

e) The variety of enteral feeds available, and the potential lack of tolerance to particular feeds, deserves consideration. In Maeve's case there was discussion of a feed being trialled by NG that she had not tolerated orally. It may be worth exploring how things work in the NHS context - e.g. whether there are a limited number of commercial feeds available.

With regard to PN it may also be worth addressing the arguments in the Lal et al (neurogastro) paper, particularly this paragraph and its imputations:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2024
  14. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m considering writing a letter to the Observer in response to Miller’s article. Remembering that he was a signatory to the JNNP “anomalies” article criticising the NICE guideline, I tried to look up the rebuttal from Barry et al. It seems that both the anomalies article and the rebuttal have been put behind a paywall: https://jnnp.bmj.com/content/95/7/671

Is that something others were aware of? Does anyone have free access links?

15. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Robert 1973

Thank you for considering writing a comment on Miler's Observer/Guardian piece.

Interesting. I probably last checked in May or June when both were still open access. Did you save the articles before? If not, I hope someone will share them with you.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2024
    Ariel, hibiscuswahine, Sean and 9 others like this.
  16. V.R.T.

V.R.T. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Letter to observer - which draft is better im undecided? Not sure if my paragraph on Nice and the low quality research is 100% accurate. Can anyone advise?

I intend to fire one off this afternoon after a decent rest

Attached Files:

RainbowCloud, Ariel, Sean and 10 others like this.
  17. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn’t but someone has now kindly sent me the PDFs. Thank you.

Nightsong, Sean, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  18. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The anomalous anomalies paper is still available here.

19. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure if that needs a registration at research gate?

If so, for citation you could instead use the gift link to the PDF on bmj provided here -- still working at the time of posting:

Edit: It would of course to be good to have a gift link to the rebuttal too.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2024
    Sean, alktipping, Amw66 and 5 others like this.