1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

MEAction: " All I want for Christmas is #ScienceNotStigma"

Discussion in 'Advocacy Action Alerts' started by Andy, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.meaction.net/2018/12/05/all-i-want-for-christmas-is-sciencenotstigma/

rvallee, Binkie4, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  2. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Am I alone in wondering if sending cards like this is a wise idea? Seems like it could play right in to the “abusive bullying patient” persona that the BPS crowd have created.

Personally I think the responses to NICE that this forum has been writing have been much better, excellent in fact.

3. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's a total waste of time and energy. They have received over 2,000 emails and we saw response. I think we should just leave it for now.

Sorry I forget M.E Action's PR person's name but I had hoped that she would be going to radio/newspapers....I know it's shaky ground though. But the cards... get a no vote from me. And what exactly is ME Action PR person doing..

ladycatlover and Skycloud like this.
  4. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure who you mean...

DokaGirl likes this.
  5. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it Espe....U.K co-ordinator

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  6. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, if you mean Espe, she is more than a PR person -- she helps coordinate all UK actions. :)

7. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think NICE are very aware of the unease among patients. The next battle ground for patient advocacy will surely be when the draft guidelines are produced. The last time we know many stakeholder groups were very unhappy with them, yet White was able to bulldoze the guidelines to his viewpoint. Do we need to engage in some way with influential stakeholders? Not sure how but maybe invite them to conferences or build up a portfolio of research.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

In regard to this as an advocacy effort, I think it has value. Not necessarily in regard to convincing NICE to change any decision that it has/might make but in encouraging patients to actually take an action, I think that's where the value is, especially as us Brits can often be too accepting of the status quo than might be good for us.

ETA: This reply was meant in response to the idea of sending cards.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Skycloud, MEMarge, Gecko and 2 others like this.
  9. obeat

Maybe we could draft a letter to make various stakeholders aware of all the conferences next year and suggest someone attend from Association of British neurologists etc. I'm great at ideas not so hot on the technical side.!!!

Hutan, ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Oops, sorry, my, unclear, post was meant in regard to sending cards - I've now added an explanation to it.

In regard to educating influential stakeholders, do you mean stakeholders in the NICE guidelines review or in a wider context?

MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  11. obeat

The professional bodies who are stakeholders. Something like this" as stakeholders in NICE we believe it is incumbent on your organisation to be updated on research pathways. The following conferences will be held in 2019/20. We would urge attendance."

Hutan, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I agree it seems to me like an inclusive way of getting people who maybe haven’t done anything on advocacy to engage with it.

MEMarge, Gecko and Andy like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

OK, so I'm assuming stakeholders in the NICE guidelines review process. For context, here is the latest stakeholder list, https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/gid-ng10091/documents/stakeholder-list, and while I think that, certainly, those who are stakeholders in the process should be aware of the latest research, I wonder if the amount of work involved would be too much.

MEMarge and Trish like this.
  14. obeat

Sorry. I know we're getting away from the cards here. We need to be advocating behind the scenes for the next 18 months. Much of the current research won't be published in this time. Maybe if we picked 15 to 20 professional bodies and gave them only conference details. Most professionals only attend their own speciality for conferences.

Hutan likes this.