Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Barry Do you have the link to that exchange between MS and Carol Monaghan? I'd like to see the rest of the thread but your picture is just an unclickable image as far as I can tell.

Barry and Inara like this.
  2. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's here. It was just a tweet from MS to CM:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/999335448429383680

I subsequently quoted it and commented that he left out the words "perpetuating the" disability.

Elsewhere he said he'd written about CFS not being a "psychological" condition. I'm going to have a look for that...
    In fact, I'm going to ask him. It might actually be the only question that he answers.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    MEMarge, janice, inox and 11 others like this.
  3. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Go Sally!

MEMarge, Barry, Daisymay and 6 others like this.
  5. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, janice, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  6. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like it! Well-said @Keela Too
    (But don't hope to tease emotions where none are...)

7. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was just such a condescending playground type of reply, I couldn’t let it sit there without saying something.

Agree, I don’t expect it to change his views. Yet I hope the comment highlights the distain with which he regards all of us.

He keeps trying to come across as Mr Oh-so-reasonable. But here the facade slipped.

8. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Are you assuming something went wrong?"

Seriously, the trial is being taught at Berkeley as the way NOT to do a study.
    There have been lengthy dissections of the many flaws and improprieties of PACE by fellow scientists, but these are "assumptions"?
    This guy is the king of gaslighting. Too bad there isn't a special Razzie for that, he would win it.

Sly Saint, MEMarge, Woolie and 13 others like this.
  9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LOL - this is what he thinks research looks like when everything has gone well?

MEMarge, Woolie, TiredSam and 8 others like this.
  10. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The trial didn't go wrong, politically speaking, for some.

11. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He's just trolling now. :(

12. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sharpe has proven himself to be a master actor and gaslighter. Still pretending that everything is OK and it's only some silly patients that are misunderstanding everything.

13. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The question I would most like answered is: "who most influenced your early views of CFS, or ME as it them was, and why did they not wish to be associated with the subject?"

Unfortunately I do not know the answer and therefore should not ask it. But I suspect Gelder, otherwise it is difficult to understand his interest in the Oxford conference.

14. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For those unfamiliar with Gelder (like me 'till now):

https://www.psych.ox.ac.uk/news/professor-michael-gelder-1929-2018

15. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wasn't really saying they quoted it that way, but as a statement how far wrong is it?

16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/999669879581134848

No, no assumptions needed at all. PACE is its own proof. It's clear MS 'engages' in this because for him it is a macabre infantile game. He clearly doesn't give a flying f*ck for the detrimental effects his bloody trial has actually had for PwME the world over. One day when this eventually comes home to roost - an enquiry of some sort would be great - his callousness toward the people he is supposedly oath-bound to help, all will be a fabulous audit trail. He seems unable to help digging a deeper and deeper hole for himself, and is in fact very revealing.

17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's too strong. They often leave room for the potential for a range of causes of ill-health to be included within CFS/ME, even if they do not emphasise the potential for physical problems that cannot be reversed through rehabilitation. It's so easy for the topic of ME/CFS causation to back-fire on us, and there are so many other serious problems with PACE, that I think we're largely best avoiding that area (or at least being very careful, and taking the time to provide lengthy quotes, deal with all the ambiguities, uncertainty, etc). Maybe that will change if research leads to a better and simpler understanding of ME/CFS, but right now the topic is such a mess that it seems hard to win over undecideds in any debate on the matter.

18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yes, he is, and I don't think he is doing himself and his reputation any favours with his tweeting.

So keep right at it, Mike. :thumbup:

19. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thats good, i like when reality deniers dig their own grave.

MEMarge likes this.
  20. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Reality always wins in the long run. Always.

Unfortunately deniers can wreak massive carnage in the meantime. :(