Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How can we know how many times those promoting myths have won? We'd look back and now see it as reality having won in the long run.

MEMarge, Woolie, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  2. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    MEMarge, Woolie, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  4. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Well on the one hand I'd tell him where to shove it because he doesn't get to limit the number of questions, attach conditions (including a promise to regard his answer as honest no matter what it is), tell lies about questions already having been answered, dismiss questions by labelling them loaded, pre-empt any future disagreement by labelling it as unsubstantiated (although that implies that we are allowed to respond with substantiated accusations of dishonesty and fraud) etc etc.

Does he seriously think this is what passes for engagement and scientific debate?

On the other hand keep asking him questions because he seems unable to resist revealing how thoroughly unpleasant, willfully deaf and condescending he is, a record of which might come in handy at some point in the future.

MEMarge, sea, Woolie and 18 others like this.
  5. Lucibee

My OH wanted to ask him: "What's Peru's third largest export to the UK?" :rofl:

MEMarge, 2kidswithME, Nellie and 12 others like this.
  6. large donner

large donner Guest

That's easy, first is Paddington bear, second is blue duffle coats and third is marmalade sandwiches, but only if you are asking about darkest Peru.

Woolie, Nellie, alktipping and 11 others like this.
  7. Lucibee

8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Lidia, ukxmrv and 4 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @Lucibee, I don't know how to copy tweets here. If you click on the blue bird icon on the tweet you will see my whole 'conversation' with him. I was trying to pin him down to giving evidence of approval for and justification for the use of 60 as the SF36 recovery criteria.

As you see, I failed miserably. No surprise there. I have no idea what his answer ''OK not really curious questions are these'', means. Not English as I know it.

I hate twitter anyway - a great medium for frustrating miscommunication and misunderstanding - don't know why I bothered.

MEMarge, ArtStu, ukxmrv and 10 others like this.
  10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LOL - I'd really love to know how it is he thinks he's deciding which questions are 'real' or 'curious', and which are 'accusations' or 'tricks'. He must have some internal rationale that he imagines makes sense, or else why would he be behaving like this publicly?

MEMarge, sea, Chezboo and 9 others like this.
  11. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would translate this as: I can't answer this question without appearing shifty, I don't want to answer this question, I don't like it and so I am going to say it isn't a very good, interesting or "curious" question.

I, personally, am very curious about this question and would like to hear the answer.

Edited : spelling

12. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hrm, no, I'd argue that it was he who failed in a most spectacular fashion right there. In public. On record.
    So, well done Trish!! :emoji_champagne_glass:

MEMarge, Woolie, ArtStu and 19 others like this.
  13. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Lucibee

He has previous used the word "incurious" to mean "showing absence of intellectual inquisitiveness or natural curiosity"
    i.e., as an insult.

He doth not like forensic enquiry. I wonder why?

MEMarge, janice, ukxmrv and 10 others like this.
  15. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To say that it is not a curious question possibly appears to suggest that the questioner already knows the answer, and that by answering in that manner he does not think it necessary to correct any false impression.

16. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Engaging with Sharpe is a waste of time, as I've discovered.

Sly Saint, Atle, ArtStu and 26 others like this.
  17. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well...it does no harm for his attitude and answers to appear in the public domain.

It could come back to haunt him soon. Hopefully.

MEMarge, janice, Joh and 8 others like this.
  18. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Seems odd that none of his BPS colleagues have tapped him on the shoulder and told him to stop it. I reckon they're all hiding under a rock somewhere but haven't told him.

MEMarge, Woolie, Joh and 8 others like this.
  19. large donner

large donner Guest

Its too evidence based.

Arnie Pye, Trish, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  20. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You may have 'failed' to get a sane answer out of him Trish, but you actually succeeded in getting him to demonstrate yet more of his mind games, which I strongly suspect his response was, and most are. It comes across as word salad, which to me suggests your question hit the spot and he didn't like it. It's a pity the WaybackMachine does not archive this stuff properly, because we really need to be capturing this stuff. What is the best way to archive these twitter posts @Adrian, do you have any thoughts?