Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inara likes this.
  2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Daily Mail article quotes him:
    So an interpretation of this quote I assume.

Edited - the text quoted do seem to heavily imply behavioural therapy will do the trick.

3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, adambeyoncelowe and Inara like this.
  4. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ironically over-generalising is one of the basic 'cognitive errors' addressed by CBT.

WillowJ, alktipping, JemPD and 8 others like this.
  5. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MS says he agrees biological factors may limit improvement with behavioural treatments,
    but by biological factors he might just be meaning the old claim of physical deconditioning and therefore he's not saying anything new, just teasing, manipulating us?

Barry, alktipping, JemPD and 7 others like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course no one ever lies in their Twitter bio.

By the way, my Twitter bio says I'm an animagus.

I prefer the term "Predatory Journal" because that's what they really are...

7. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    DigitalDrifter, Barry, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  8. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My reply would be this epic David Tuller open letter (if someone has twitter and wants to use it)
    http://www.virology.ws/2016/02/10/open-letter-lancet-again/

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  9. large donner

large donner Guest

A monkey could do it in his tea break!

EzzieD, alktipping, sea and 1 other person like this.
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is only ONE issue we can show is scientific misconduct. One. The others are irregular and damage the study, but we cannot prove they are not due to bad study design, incompetence or stupidity. That one is the use of SD for calculation of normal using SF36PF data. Not only is it mathematically unsound, they knew it was mathematically unsound, or at least PDW did. He published on this in 2007.

MEMarge, EzzieD, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I certainly don't.

Mostly coz I don't have a Twitter account. :p

12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it is a reasonable and valid inference from the following quote in the article:-

"Many patients with chronic fatigue syndrome are being held back by a ‘self-fulfilling prophecy’, according to a leading researcher.

Oxford psychiatrist Professor Michael Sharpe said that some people with the condition do not push themselves to recover.

His team today publishes findings which suggest a form of counselling is the most effective way to treat chronic fatigue syndrome, which is also known as ME."
    [My bold]

If that is a fair quote of what MS actually said, then given the bits I emphasised, and the flow of what was said, then the tweet was a fair inference from the above I think. Being as it was a newspaper article reporting on what MS said, however, it may be their report skewed the flow of what was said and so skewed the context; in which case the tweeted inference may be wrong.

13. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would have thought malpractice to be a more likely thing to go for.

alktipping and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  14. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The current claim with the GMC is probably more along those lines. Unfortunately I would need to know a lot more about UK law, and GMC rules, to say much. Its very much up to local laws and regulations.

Scientific misconduct generally has no legal redress. The issue is that it can destroy careers, end tenure, and prevent grants.

EzzieD, alktipping, Barry and 4 others like this.
  15. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you click on the tweet, the heading that is generated in the preview of the article is: “All in the mind? ME can be cured by counselling, says Oxford Professor,” which is where I took it from. But you are right to point out that the exact quote is not currently repeated in the article. Perhaps the heading was changed and they forgot to update the meta tag.

16. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1002646443759423488

I thought this was interesting. I understand that harm was not carefully monitored. Have there not been PACE trial participants stating that no interest was taken when they claimed to be deteriorating?

MEMarge, EzzieD, alktipping and 13 others like this.
  17. Alvin

Somebody please skewer this tweet

Chezboo and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  18. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Done. The trial minutes show they didn't deal with adverse events properly. They knew they were happening, but just told participants to ignore them or, according to patients who were in the trial, these patients were never followed up.

MEMarge, ScottTriGuy, EzzieD and 11 others like this.
  19. Alvin

He will simply deny these things.
    I would respond with the lowering of recovery to worse then entry and if that therapist manual is verified material repost it, and point out denying it will get him nowhere.
    If anyone has links of patients statements that would also work well.

EzzieD, alktipping, Inara and 2 others like this.
  20. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For a psych trial PACE was unusually good at monitoring harm. Their measure for 'harm' relied upon subjective self-report outcomes, and there slightly more adverse events in the GET group, which the PACE researchers then decided were not related to GET, and there have since been participants who've said that their condition seriously declined while doing GET as a part of PACE, but 'harms' is still not a great place to criticise PACE imo.

Kindlon wrote this good summary of the issues: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1359105317697323

We've since had those minutes @adambeyoncelowe mentioned released - there seem to be some worthwhile quotes in there, but I'd still be cautious on this whole issue.

alktipping, Woolie, Inara and 8 others like this.