Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just enough involvement to take any credit. Little enough involvement to deny any responsibility.

Solstice, Sean, Art Vandelay and 12 others like this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

In my previous post I managed to restrain myself from typing "it can't be long now before Simon decides it's time to shit all over the PACE team".

And what do you know? 5 minutes later he's back on twitter with this:

Read you like a book Simon.

MEMarge, Solstice, Chezboo and 13 others like this.
  3. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Alex B, Nellie and 26 others like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Solstice, Sean, Art Vandelay and 12 others like this.
  5. alex3619

Yes, and this demolishes any use of such therapy as a means to get people back to work.

Simone, alktipping, Trish and 4 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder who actually reviewed the PACE manuscript for the Lancet?

Arvo, MEMarge, Skycloud and 15 others like this.
  7. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's been the question! The Lancet of course won't say. One notion has been that perhaps the Dutch colleagues who wrote the commentary were involved. Maybe Sir Simon? Who knows? In any event, we know it was "fast-tracked" so it likely didn't go through anything particularly rigorous. Of course, in an Australian radio interview after the publication, Richard Horton claimed it had gone through "endless rounds of peer review." He has never explained how this squares with fast-tracking to publication, although perhaps he meant it had previously been through review by the ethics and oversight committees etc and at various levels before the draft ever got to The Lancet. In any event, it would be very revealing to see details of how the journal peer-reviewed the paper.

Arvo, MEMarge, Solstice and 27 others like this.
  8. alex3619

Actually I disagree, though David can speak for himself. He was funded to investigate and bring the relevant facts to light. It happens this includes bringing those other things to light, but I think he has the integrity to report on what he finds, no matter what it is, even if it turns out to go somewhere else.

MS's comment also ignores the long time David spent investigating with no funding.

This is classic dirty politics from MS - isolate one key point that can be distorted or misinterpreted, and then sounds bad, and then run with that.

MEMarge, Alex B, MarcNotMark and 19 others like this.
  9. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Simon Wessely said "That’s not true. We started with Oxford and then added CDC 1994 when it appeared. Look at 1997 CBT trial, 1999 trial etc. We even compared the 2 in various papers. It didn’t make much difference to the results. it’s all here if you actually want to check"

If you look at the PACE reanalysis of the improvement rates after they were forced to release the data, you will see a similar statement about it not making much difference. The rate dropped from 60% to 20% (approx). How can that not be a substantial difference? Simply because they argued that the CBT group still did better (on the questionnaires) than the group that had no therapy.

So when they assert that it didn't make much difference to the results whether patients satisfied the Oxford criteria or the CDC ME criteria, they could easily be using language the same way. There may well be a big difference in the CBT group between those with ME and those without, but as long as both had better scores than the group without CBT, that was all that mattered.

Their use of English is as creative as their use of statistics, and neither move the truth forward.

MEMarge, Alex B, Nellie and 32 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have run that clip a few times and I think it is reasonable to interpret him as intending to be understood as referring to all the prior peer review rather than at his office. It would certainly make sense if one of the Dutch team was asked.

MEMarge, Joh, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  11. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Nellie, Milo and 24 others like this.
  12. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent, sir.

MEMarge, Solstice, Lisa108 and 12 others like this.
  13. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow. Did we know this?
    Bit like choosing your buddies to mark your homework.

MEMarge, Milo, Solstice and 18 others like this.
  14. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I LOVE this!

MEMarge, Solstice, Lisa108 and 14 others like this.
  15. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, err, I was trying to provoke a denial, but I'm not sure anyone's listening (or going to talk). I suspect that Knoop and Bleijenberg reviewed it, but who knows whether we will ever find out. But what we do know is that the field has been clique-ified for decades - as long as the research is presented within a "psychological" framework, they know they can get the "right" reviewers for their work.

MEMarge, Solstice, Lisa108 and 21 others like this.
  16. TiredSam

I don't remember seeing this tweet (from Friday 15th, writing to Simon Wessely) on this thread yet:

upload_2018-6-17_23-16-5.png

Since then of course Mike Godwin has learnt of Simon's involvement in the trial, and has had the privilege of an exchange with one of the co-authors.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    MEMarge, Solstice, Lisa108 and 19 others like this.
  17. large donner

large donner Guest

"Nothing to do with me Mike I didn't do PACE ", now that the shit is really hitting the fan. Except that's not strictly true he was involved in PACE, aswell as other things, he recruited patients to it and lets not forget his follow up statements about PACE being "a thing of beauty".

Both things confirmed right here in his very own blog...

https://www.nationalelfservice.net/...syndrome-choppy-seas-but-a-prosperous-voyage/

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    MEMarge, Solstice, Lisa108 and 15 others like this.
  18. TiredSam

I wonder how Michael Sharpe felt reading that? He'll know it's a huge porkie, and that he's being abandoned.

MEMarge, Solstice, Lisa108 and 15 others like this.
  19. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"....it is with some relife that I learned you weren't a co-author."

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

MEMarge, Solstice, Lisa108 and 13 others like this.
  20. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I bow at Mike G's lotus feet for so many reasons, but that he acknowledges the public policy dimension has me prostrate on the floor with gratitude

MEMarge, sea, Alex B and 19 others like this.