Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I ask as in the original employment adviser in IAPT pilot, employers were contacted to make them aware of the possibility of referring to employment advisers under the pilot in services where referral rates were low. Just wondering if this is a referral tack.

alktipping, Inara and Invisible Woman like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

no the young female GP who said 'oh we dont like to give that diagnosis it is better to treat the symptoms' ,when I asked if I had CFS, gave me a leaflet to 'refer myself' but you had to have done that CBT before you could get referred to the CFS clinic. Im confident that if I hadnt already got signed up for CBT the occupational health adviser I was referred to by my employer would have given that as their recommended action as well as phased return to work........

I worked for a big public sector organisation so they had their own occupational health contract. Seems the organisations that provide IAPT CBT often have an occupational health arm as well

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    MEMarge, alktipping, Inara and 7 others like this.
  3. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Sharpe's issue with David's work being paid for obviously never stopped him making use of the services of the SMC...

MEMarge, alktipping, Jan and 21 others like this.
  7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This point about David being paid is a very strange one to introduce into the argument. Have we not often wondered what payments might have been made by insurance companies for reports, advice, consultancy etc., and when the first such payments might have been made?

MEMarge, alktipping, Jan and 20 others like this.
  8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

...and it's not as if people aren't aware that David is now crowdfunded. David can't be accused of not being entirely open about that. Unlike some people....

MEMarge, WillowJ, alktipping and 19 others like this.
  9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, alktipping, Barry and 13 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So when Wessely comes up with this strange apparently unsubstantiated statement that CBT on its own is no good but it works with occupational... he is not meaning occupational therapy but a visit to an 'employment practitioner'?

Maybe he is happy to give ground on PACE right left and centre because now the 'evidence base' is IAPT which is going swimmingly. Apart from the piece in J Health Psychol this week.

MEMarge, WillowJ, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's already this much of a transcript. A repost of a repost, so I cannot give credit to whoever first did it, and I've not checked for accuracy.

MEMarge, Inara, Sly Saint and 6 others like this.
  12. Esther12

Inara, Sly Saint, Woolie and 6 others like this.
  13. Esther12

Inara, Sly Saint, Woolie and 6 others like this.
  14. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What piece in J Health Psychol this week? I couldn't find anything relevant when I looked. Do you have a link you can give us?

alktipping, Barry and Inara like this.
  15. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Jonathan Edwards

Maybe it was last week. I think we had a thread on it? Somebody did a piece in February that showed that responses to IAPT were 9% instead of 50% and there was a second article in reply to some commentary just recently. Sorry, I cannot remember the name or reference at the minute.

MEMarge, alktipping, Barry and 6 others like this.
  17. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It strikes me that one aspect of this that has been overlooked is that Mike Godwin is an American. Over here it has been almost impossible to get researchers, statisticians, analysts etc. to actually look at the PACE stuff, even those who make a big show of denouncing bad science. The few that we have are greatly treasured. Most of the signatures on the letter to The Lancet were American. I wonder how much of this is that Sharpe and Wessely have got so used to the old boy network closing in around them, they aren't aware that that doesn't cut ice in America.

MEMarge, Alex B, alktipping and 32 others like this.
  18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

From last week's News in Brief:
    Journal of Health Psychology
    ''Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) - The Need for Radical Reform'' February 2018, by Michael J. Scott
    Article here Thread here
    ''Transforming Improving Access to Psychological Therapies'' June 2018, by Michael J. Scott.
    Article here Thread here

alktipping, Barry, Inara and 8 others like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Yes, I don't actually think it crossed Wessely's mind that Godwin would even look at why he was being cited. I think Wessely just thought he would send one of those tweets that 'famous' (sort of) people send to other famous people, to say ' hi, famous person, I just quoted you, you might remember me, I am another 'famous person' (sort of). Famous people of course do not send tweets like this.

MEMarge, alktipping, Barry and 15 others like this.
  20. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)