Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, it's shocking, but to be expected.

MEMarge, WillowJ, sea and 9 others like this.
  2. Matt (@DondochakkaB)

Matt (@DondochakkaB) Established Member (Voting Rights)

RE:- MEA

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/research/current-research/current-research-studies/
    http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...r-2018-cmrc-research-conference-19-june-2018/
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/he...octors-to-apologise-to-their-ME-patients.html (argues for better care and research)

In terms of patients involved and money spent, the PACE trial is one of the largest pieces of research ever done on ME/CFS. That naturally makes it a focus of attention especially if there are errors in it. We simply must not waste such precious patient energy and research funding ever again. Its status as a high powered study likely gave it an undue influence on the provision of treatment by health authorities. I'm fairly certain I can remember references to it in previous responses to arguments that the NICE re-evaluate its guidelines for ME/CFS (when the guidelines remained frozen).

It is also essential to all research going forward that PACE is understood and all of its weaknesses are laid bare so that lessons are learned on the right ways to collect evidence of ability and recovery in this kind of chronic health condition. Especially since those same mistakes are being made on more recent studies and it is simply unacceptable.

I am an ME patient, and when the ME Association challenges PACE, they do with my support and gratitude.

WillowJ, JaimeS, alktipping and 17 others like this.
  3. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How did I miss this earlier! This is just what it seems like isn't it!

4. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Alex B, 2kidswithME, WillowJ and 29 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fear of exercise:
    Tackling fears about exercise is important for ME treatment, analysis indicates
    https://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h227/rapid-responses

"We would like to clarify that we did not say that fear avoidance was the cause of CFS [3,4]. We did not state that the illness was psychological or an exercise phobia. Nor did we say that fear of exercise in CFS was “irrational”. Rather, in an illness where exercise increases symptoms, we believe that being cautious about engaging in activity is understandable [4]. The same processes are important in other chronic illnesses such as low back pain where fear avoidance beliefs have been shown to both moderate and mediate the effects of treatment [5]. Whilst some correspondents have complained that the primary outcomes of the trial were self-rated, we argue that these are the most appropriate measures to judge improvement in an illness that is currently defined by symptoms."

29 January 2015
    Trudie Chalder
    Professor
    Kimberley Goldsmith, Peter White, Michael Sharpe, Andrew Pickles
    King's College London
    Department of Psychological Medicine, King's College London, Weston Education Centre, Cutcombe Road, London, SE5 9RJ

Interesting that whereas all other comments there were no competing interests, under this reply:

Competing interests: PDW has done voluntary and paid consultancy work for the UK government and a reinsurance company. TC has received royalties from Sheldon Press and Constable and Robinson. MS has done voluntary and paid consultancy work for the UK government, consultancy work for an insurance company and has received royalties from Oxford University Press. KAG and ARP declare no competing interests.

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tylee is setting that up as a problem that wise Chalder can help them avoid though, rather than promoting it as the right approach in the training video. It's followed by:

There are so many annoying bits in those videos.

To me, that really indicates that it would be best to 'bang on' about the problems with PACE, rather than spend time arguing for 'better' care and research that could easily end up serving the interests of Wessely & co.

sea, JaimeS, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have we previously seen the admission of paid consultancy work for the UK government. It was obviously suspected but, to me at least, this seems a significant statement. Perhaps MS could be pressed for details.

8. Esther12

I thought that was similar to how he usually phrased it, and I always wondered if it was to provide ambiguity over exactly what work he was paid for (I thought there was a COI declaration somewhere where he explicitly said he had been paid for his DWP work)

eg this from Lancet PACE 2011: "PDW has done voluntary and paid consultancy work for the UK Departments of Health and Work and Pensions and Swiss Re (a reinsurance company)." https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(11)60096-2/fulltext

I remember thinking that this COI declaration from White (on a peer review report) provided more detail than usual, but it now seems to be off-line, and I can't find a copy of it anymore.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/imedia/1144466484563326_comment.pdf

edit: White's peer review comment can now be found here: https://bmcgastroenterol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-230X-12-13/open-peer-review

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Sean, alktipping, chrisb and 2 others like this.
  9. Sly Saint

10. Sly Saint

11. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Esther12

Unfortunately that last link says Page Not Found.

Thanks for that. In that Lancet paper, as well as PDW's statement, MS does also state that "he has done voluntary and paid consultancy work for government and for legal and insurance companies and received royalties....." My recollection was that at the outset he only declared an interest with Aegeon. If both statements are correct it would suggest that paid work was being done for government at some stage between about 2004 and 2011. He needs to say what it was, and when.

12. Esther12

Yes, I noticed that, but thought that including the address for when it was there might help anyone who wanted to try and track it down. I've not been able to find where it has been moved to though, and can't remember what paper it was a peer review report for.

13. Esther12

Oh wow - just realised I am amazing at keeping notes on things (even if they are now an inaccessible mess). It was this White peer review report for 'Chronic fatigue syndrome after Giardia enteritis: clinical characteristics, disability and long-term sickness absence':

https://bmcgastroenterol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-230X-12-13/open-peer-review

14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which also occurred to me!

'Endlessly banging on about a clinical trial published in 2011 and blaming all the problems patients suffer on that is both mistaken and a waste of time for all concerned.'

But surely if this trial is taken as the paradigm for evidence being used roll out the IAPT programme for MUS it is very likely to be responsible for a lot of patients' problems, Dr Sharpe?

I do not personally need it to be retracted. I think it will over time become a useful record of just how bad trials can be. Maybe Graham's video should be added as an addendum. But I think it is reasonable to ask Dr Sharpe to agree to make a statement that psychological therapies should not be rolled out on the basis of evidence that uses PACE as 'gold standard'.

15. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought it might be useful (and quite amusing) to put screenshots of some of Michael Sharpe’s “have you read the paper?” Tweets together in one place.

Carol Monaghan, MP and former head of science:
    F199EDB5-2BA2-49C2-B4ED-CB1DED5B0790.jpeg

@Carolyn Wilshire, PhD, lead author of the 2018 PACE reanalysis:
    96A6F02F-5F62-465D-8895-849AD72468AF.jpeg

@Mike Godwin, lawyer, author and old school chum of Sir Simon Wessely:
    1923CF88-2893-4AA6-9D45-3558001E596F.jpeg

Attached Files:

WillowJ, Sean, JaimeS and 24 others like this.
  16. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cheshire, WillowJ, JaimeS and 13 others like this.
  17. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cheshire, JaimeS, Woolie and 17 others like this.
  18. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What happens if both positions are wrong?

Sean, alktipping, Inara and 1 other person like this.
  19. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean, JaimeS, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  20. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Sean, JaimeS, alktipping and 18 others like this.