Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

good sparring @Robert 1973

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I actually got my reply a bit muddled, and mistakenly had some of an old edit in the mix, which I thought I'd abandoned :oops:

Invisible Woman and alktipping like this.
  3. large donner

large donner Guest

Any minute now he will claim he didn't make that quote in the Daily Mail and that his remarks were taken our of context by them. That may or may not be true, however as he is such a social media bunny why hasn't he denounced that article. Perhaps because they are his beliefs and the same as the nonsense remarks he made on Australian radio after the first set of PACE results.

4. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

It is best they all step aside, they have been toxic, they can never be trusted again with ME research.

5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given their track record with ME, I'm not sure they can be trusted with any research.

6. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

I think Sharpe should leave medicine and go into pantomime, he has demonstrated his skills this evening.

7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The cunning plan involves a sports car.

8. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

janice, Invisible Woman and Joh like this.
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"So here is a challenge for ME activism:
    Can you articulate what treatment you want as opposed to what you don't want?"

Yep. No treatment aside from palliative support is better than treatments that make us worse and are sometimes forced on very sick patients, or where they are coerced into doing them or lose their entitled benefits, both private and state benefits.

10. Carolyn Wilshire

Carolyn Wilshire Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The positions are usually exhaustive.

This example from eyewitness testimony research:

Does information presented after an event get incorporated into witnesses' descriptions of the event it self?
    Position 1: yes
    Position 2: no

(In reality the question would be phrased in a much more specific way than that).

11. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am doing great on symptomatic treatment = sleep, OI, inmune mods, and anything I need!!!
    I have kept a job and a family! That is more than the CBT and GET people ahve been able to hold! If they step aside, the symptoms on Cfs are not that uncommon that cannot be treated until we get a cure or better things .

12. Carolyn Wilshire

Carolyn Wilshire Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would have thought his connections with the authors and with the project would need to be disclosed, and would disqualify him. But then the Lancet doesn't seem at all like a scientific journal, more like a magazine, and the editors had already promised to promote it even before it was peer reviewed, so I don't expect peer review was anything more than a rubber stamp.

I don't think they would need Simon Wessely as a reviewer, they could pick any one of a huge number of pro-BPS ideologues (in consultation with the authors), and even if a reviewer recommended 'reject', they would be under no obligation to take that reviewers' advice.

13. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or MAYBEEeeeeeee they are working for the dwp ( whatever your insurance for government is)?

alktipping likes this.
  14. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

15. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

16. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

UGH I almost cited every ME organization but figured he'd view it as Summoning them with my magic Twitter wand to swoop in for the attack.

So creepy, because it seems as though he's gently encouraging us to 'think positive', and because it seems like that's really bait. While the retraction of PACE is an important goal, it's hardly our only concern.

17. JaimeS

18. JaimeS

19. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I myself volunteer to try drugs that are potential treatments as suggested by the ME experts hthe real experts) Cyclophosphamide comes to mind, but there are other drugs such as the ones used in rheumatology.

alktipping and Woolie like this.
  20. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another thing to point out to him is that we are positive and looking forwards. But the legacy of the PACE trial is holding us back. Medical professionals are still quoting the results to stop us from getiing benefits, insurance payouts, other medical treatment which might even be as basic as supplements. But we can't get any of that because we are still told to excercise and have counselling. That is why we are still banging on about it!

MEMarge, janice, alktipping and 16 others like this.