Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. LightHurtsME

LightHurtsME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The thing is: ME sufferers (and their supporters) are sending a strong positive message. The message is of courage in the face of adversity and persistently trying to get better treatment while being very ill and often maligned.

Thank you @Keela Too for all your work and @large donner for such a lovely gesture.

So at least he got the first part of the name right ;)

2. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I should say that I'm pretty sure I've used the phrase "false illness beliefs" at some point but NOT as a direct quote from the PACE authors. I have used it as an objective description of the theory they have promulgated. It is clear from everything they have written that the theory at its core posits the absence of an organic disorder. When I have quoted them directly, I have often used the word "unhelpful," since that is the word used in PACE. But the reason the beliefs are "unhelpful" is because they are presumed to be false; in this case, if they were true, they wouldn't be unhelpful. So I can easily defend the argument that the phrase "false illness beliefs" is an accurate description of their theory even if they themselves have never used the word "false."

Simone, MEMarge, janice and 34 others like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But then we have this sort of 'pragmatism' from Wessely and co:

"the belief that symptoms are due to a persistent viral infection of muscle may or may not be true but more importantly is clinically unhelpful." http://www.simonwessely.com/Downloads/Publications/CFS/85.pdf

They do occasionally make references to the possibility of an unidentified organic disorder too.

Also, I think that some of them can see themselves as scientists following the evidence, with rigorously conducted research (*cough*) showing that certain beliefs are 'unhelpful', even though the matter of whether they are 'true' or not has yet to be settled. In the same way they can argue that GET is a useful treatment for CFS, even though the model of CFS which assumes the deconditioning plays an important role in the perpetuation of CFS seems to be false. They present themselves as being in the business of rehabilitation, focussing on outcomes, not obsessing over unknowable issues of causation.

A problem with all this is that they're not very good at conducting research, and so their pragmatism is misdirected. One of the problems with pragmatism is that it's often very difficult to measure the outcomes that people most value, and those who have the power to decide what outcomes are measured can choose those which serve their own interests.

Simone, MEMarge, alktipping and 14 others like this.
  4. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Indeed the 'nice' Michael tweeting is performative. All for show.

5. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

I already did ask, I was ignored.

Simone, alktipping, Barry and 5 others like this.
  6. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was "chronic fatigue syndrome" in the title because that's Lancet policy. ME was disappeared in the 90s, I presume after Wessely had words with The Lancet over their editorial on the RCP report in 1996. We weren't allowed to use the term "ME" in editorial when I was there, and I suspect that's still the case (although at a push they'll stretch to CFS/ME if they have to).

I asked Sharpe why they didn't exclude patients with ME if it was about CFS and not ME. I haven't had an answer. But he'll probably just mention the sensitivity analysis again if he does.

Simone, MEMarge, janice and 14 others like this.
  7. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I keep wondering whether "false illness beliefs" started life as one of those derogatory medical acronyms...

8. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given a lot of people conflate the two terms or use them interchangeably, Sharpe is really just clutching at straws.

MEMarge, alktipping, JaimeS and 7 others like this.
  9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

no tweets or replies since 1.30:muted:

MEMarge, alktipping, Barry and 7 others like this.
  10. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably drafting his apology

janice, alktipping, Barry and 13 others like this.
  11. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Well if he has the effrontery to show his face again, I'm looking forward to seeing the word "unbecoming" worked into every reply sent to him.

Simone, janice, MSEsperanza and 21 others like this.
  12. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The birth of the "unbecoming" meme? I welcome it, for the vexatious activist meme has become stale.

Simone, alktipping, Jan and 13 others like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

14. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

15. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Simone, alktipping, Hutan and 14 others like this.
  16. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be fair to Sharpe not all of our problems and the lack of medical research can be blamed on PACE, but PACE and the ideas behind it have been extremely convenient for governments and other insitutions shirking their responsibilities

MEMarge, janice, MSEsperanza and 12 others like this.
  17. Indigophoton

MEMarge, benji, Milo and 11 others like this.
  18. Indigophoton

Sean, Chezboo, Woolie and 10 others like this.
  19. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

the troll has come out of his cave again

MEMarge, alktipping, Chezboo and 7 others like this.
  20. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Yes, but PACE was just the distillation of years of Wessely-fuelled ignorance re GET/CBT and unhelpful illness beliefs...