Monitoring app - Visible - a platform "designed for any invisible illness that benefits from resting and pacing - including ME/CFS & Long Covid."

Discussion in 'Monitoring and pacing' started by Andy, Nov 25, 2021.

1. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, yes as you’ve discovered, once you’re in the red it takes time to get back out of it, stopping what you’re doing isn’t enough as the heart rate needs to drop.
    Comparing points is a zero-sum game, I’m on 90 per day and I’m moderate, I am working on ways to stay closer to my budget but it isn’t easy. I’m also going to ask to be investigated for POTS.

Peter Trewhitt and NelliePledge like this.
  2. LJord

LJord Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well I go through periods where I am endlessly over budget but currently have managed to stay under some days alot under others barely. And yet continue to get worse. What I am not doing is crashing. I look forward to seeing what the research shows given that there is so much data coming in from this monitoring. What I haven’t found is that the HRV is predictive of anything for me. I did want magic from this and once I gave that up I have found this useful in helping me not push myself into PEM.

Missense, Hutan, MrMagoo and 3 others like this.
  3. Daisy

Daisy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@SteveFifield I don't know if you saw this in the Visible app but there is a bit more information on the impact and intensity of tagged activities.

On the HR graph screen tap Activity Insights and you can toggle between Impact / Intensity of tagged activities.

If you tap the information ℹ️ at the top RHS of the screen there is a blog post on Activity Insights.

One way to assess how well you are pacing your activities is by keeping an eye on what your heart rate does afterwards. That's one of the reasons why it's a good idea to know what your RHR is.

If you can undertake an activity, and when you stop and rest afterwards, your heart rate returns to resting heart rate within a couple of minutes, then it is less likely you have exerted beyond your personal limits.

But as you mentioned in your previous post, if you are active beyond your personal limits your resting heart rate increases. What I found is that it usually increases for the rest of the day (and into the next day or more depending on the level of exertion). This means that each additional activity more quickly pushes into exertion beyond personal limits, making pacing even more challenging. This is even though, all things being equal, that particular activity wouldn't normally push you into exertion beyond personal limits.

And of course there is the cumulative impact of exertions all of which may be within personal limits but cumulatively are not.

Pacing is more of an art than a science, there are many variables and moving targets. But tech such as Garminb/ Fitbit etc and Visible can be very useful tools.

Missense, LJord, NelliePledge and 4 others like this.