Muscle abnormalities worsen after post-exertional malaise in long COVID, 2023/4, Wüst, van Vugt, Appelman et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by EndME, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've given Rob Wüst a couple of reminders on Twitter/X but he's not replied. I suspect he's been inundated and may not have seen them but I don't feel it would be appropriate for me to ask/remind him again.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    Sid, EzzieD, Simon M and 6 others like this.
  2. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also suspect following the discussion might be somewhat confusion if one isn't used to S4ME, because the discussion is already 8 pages long.

Indeed they are, to some extent, collaborating with Pretorius as well as Fluge/Mella (see also https://projecten.zonmw.nl/en/proje...ptoms-patients-mecfs-skeletal-muscle-exercise where this is described).

According to that website they also have 3 patients that act as patient representatives. Perhaps if the researchers don’t have time for S4ME it will be possible for one of the patients to become active here and then have a sort of indirect line of contact (which would be somewhat similar to @Andy updates on DecodeME from what I can tell).

In either case it would make sense to contact them via email about various questions I would think.

Michelle, bobbler, Amw66 and 7 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be easy to see whether or not the staining is nerve endings, using one of the nerve specific antibodies (or a panel). It sounds as if there are quenching agents for amyloid binding that might not block AChE binding. Immunogold with TEM would be ideal if it could be got to work but it used to be fiendishly tricky and the signal often too sparse to be really sure about

FMMM1, EzzieD, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

The NIH report on toxins in Gulf War Syndrome is quite interesting on chronic neurological syndromes after Sarin and organophosphates. Apparently there is another nerve esterase involved that nobody knows much about.

EndME, Ash, Jacob Richter and 14 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

For what it is worth. Some people report benefit from Mestinon. Mestinon is pyridostigmine bromide.

From Wikipedia,

"Pyridostigmine bromide has been FDA approved for military use during combat situations as an agent to be given prior to exposure to the nerve agent Soman in order to increase survival. Used in particular during the first Gulf War, pyridostigmine bromide has been implicated as a causal factor in Gulf War syndrome.[7][8]"

"Pyridostigmine inhibits acetylcholinesterase in the synaptic cleft, thus slowing down the hydrolysis of acetylcholine. Like its predecessor neostigmine, it is a quaternary carbamate inhibitor of cholinesterase that does not cross the blood–brain barrier. It carbamylates about 30% of peripheral cholinesterase enzyme, and the carbamylated enzyme eventually regenerates by natural hydrolysis and excess acetylcholine (ACh) levels revert to normal."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyridostigmine

6. Jonathan Edwards

Yes, although my impression is that it is unsatisfactory longer term.

But that would fit with a problem with regulation of cholinesterase that was based on an accommodative mechanism. Sort of hair of the dog situation!

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

In my opinion the discussion being on the forum means it is a lot easier to follow than anything on social media with multiple branches. You start at post 1 and skim through the thread. if the reader is a researcher who is not ill that shouldn’t be problematic.

Ash, Solstice, Sean and 10 others like this.
  8. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree that social media is bad for discussing anything research related and shouldn't really be used for that. I was more so proprosing to contact him (or one of the patient representatives) via email.

RedFox, Jacob Richter, Trish and 3 others like this.
  9. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m sorry I can’t volunteer atm but I wonder if someone might like to compile some questions based on the comments in this thread, email them to Rob Wüst and ask if he is happy for his response to be shared on here.

Solstice, Michelle, Sean and 6 others like this.
  10. Helene

Helene Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a dramatic improvement on starting Mestinon. Was able to do small things like using an eraser or reaching for an object that would have caused PEM before starting Mestinon. I was sure I was on the mend but that was not to be.

Exactly. Lasted about a week and then BAM - back in PEM. I continued taking it for some months but didn't get the improvement back.

Would be interesting to try it again now after a break of a couple of years to see if I'd get the same initial reaction.

Ash, Solstice, RedFox and 12 others like this.
  11. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Open Medicine Foundation has completed 95 muscle biopsies and are performing extensive analysis - Genomics, Proteomics, Metabolomics, Phospho-proteomics, Ultrastructural analysis, Mitobiogenetic markers..
    https://www.omf.ngo/skeletal-muscle-dysfunction-research/

They also have another muscle biopsy study kicking off - it uses a 2 day CPET protocol.
    https://www.omf.ngo/investigation-into-post-exertional-malaise-between-historical-and-recent-me-cfs/

I was wondering what @Jonathan Edwards thoughts are today after giving it a day to sink in. Does the idea still have legs? Has anyone here had contacts with Philip Atherton (University of Nottingham) who is one of the leads on the OMF study. He could be a good sounding board for the acetylcholinesterase hypothesis.

Solstice, sebaaa, RedFox and 12 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

I have emailed Wüst.

RaviHVJ, Solstice, RedFox and 18 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Well none of you have shot it down yet.
    I am very disappointed!;)

sebaaa, Helene, Michelle and 15 others like this.
  14. wigglethemouse

Not yet. But I thought of an intriguing tie in idea......

At the same time acetylcholinesterase turned up I was thinking quite a bit about Schwann cells. Specifically I was wondering if Schwann cells could be affected by MBP catalytic antibodies as they express the MBP gene. They are very important for maintaining, repairing, and regenerating peripheral nerves.

Turns out they are important in the Neuro muscular junction - the area we could be looking at for possible acetylcholinesterase buildup.
    Schwann Cells in Neuromuscular Junction Formation and Maintenance
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27656017/

[I did notify the Stanford researcher about Schwann cells expressing MBP and possible effect on peripheral nerves in ME/CFS].

Ash, Solstice, obeat and 6 others like this.
  15. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can just about say cholinesterase, but that's as much as I understand about it!

Ash, Solstice, Amw66 and 8 others like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

Yes, it is even trickier if you insist on acetylcholinesterase.

But mark you, this is trivial in comparison to how things were when we hired Andy Pitsillides in the lab, an expert on uridine diphosphoglucose dehydrogenase, the key enzyme for synthesis of sticky synovial fluid. Saying uridine diphosphoglucose dehydrogenase is actually not too hard but we always referred to it as UDPGD.

Try saying UDPGD nonchalantly in the middle of a sentence - any sentence.
    We could always tell the professionals from the amateurs by how well they did. It often came out as UGPGD or UDPDwhatsit.

17. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As I've turned into my grandmother now, it would probably be HDMI. By which I mean USB, of course, but it's near enough.

Ash, Solstice, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  18. wigglethemouse

Would you expect to see an increased need for choline to make acetylcholine and thus reduced choline availability? Or would there be excess choline due to the breakdown of acetylcholine?

This study is interesting in that it showed reduced compounds in the CDP-Choline pathway.
    Evidence for Peroxisomal Dysfunction and Dysregulation of the CDP-Choline Pathway in ME/CFS
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/metab...ndrome-2022-levine-hornig-lipkin-et-al.28647/

CDP-choline is also know as Cytidine-5'-diphosphocholine and citicoline. The following paper states that "Citicoline also provides choline for synthesis of neurotransmitter acetylcholine, stimulation of tyrosine hydroxylase activity and dopamine release."
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.0022-3042.2001.00697.x

Could the need for extra acetylcholine caused by the presence of excess cholinesterase be so great that choline is procured from other compounds leading to knock-on effects?

Amw66, obeat, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  19. wigglethemouse

For a sanity check I looked into what regulates Acetylcholinesterase in muscle specifically. Short story it seems to be muscle. Longer story :-

Acetylcholinesterase Expression in Muscle Is Specifically Controlled by a Promoter-Selective Enhancesome in the First Intron
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2692871/
    MEF2 is required for muscle regeneration. Perhaps the regeneration process increases MEF2???? We will need transcriptomics to answer if MEF2 is increased after exercise in muscle in ME/CFS.

Solstice, EzzieD, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  20. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder what affect this would have on our kidney function. I came across a couple of old blood tests from 2012 this morning that had low eGFR. I will try to find more recent test results.

It must not have been low enough for concern though.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
    Kitty and Jacob Richter like this.