News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How different the world is when lots of medics get sick

Wits_End, Anna H, rvallee and 17 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Quite a few of these people have doctorates in other academic fields rather than are medics

MEMarge, Shinygleamy, Leila and 5 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I live on my own in a rural area, with minimal public transport that just isn't practical for me (basically school buses, and several hundred metres to the bus stop). So having a car and driving it is a necessity. But I long ago stopped driving at night, and any more than I need to. :(

rainy, rvallee, Nellie and 7 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

brf, FMMM1, Mithriel and 12 others like this.
  5. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

CNN was playing this evening the news that the UK is recruiting young volunteers to be inoculated with COVID-19 after receiving either a vaccine or a placebo.

I have no word. These young people do not know what they risk.

Here is the story: https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news...12-20-intl/h_0e466a3ebc0271f7120b7591ce1877f5

Most people try to avoid Covid-19. But thousands are signing up to be deliberately exposed

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    sebaaa, Chezboo, Mij and 9 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

sebaaa, rvallee, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Joh, sebaaa, Anna H and 22 others like this.
  9. Dx Revision Watch

Indeed.

Whenever I see the infographics being posted on Twitter of long lists of post COVID-19 symptoms I see the culture of "the greater the number of reported symptoms = the more likelihood the patient has MUS/somatization disorder/SSD" coming back to bite 'em.

Joh, sebaaa, Wits_End and 19 others like this.
  10. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem with that Greenhalgh Tweet is that she gives no indication of the measures taken by her to verify the diagnosis to enable her to dismiss the GP's rebuttal. Is it known what evidence has to be submitted to enable participation in the research? It may well be there are grounds for concern but we have no way of knowing what they are. We do not the severity of symptoms, whether the patient had a positive test, or was admitted to hospital. In any particular case there may be room for debate about the evidence.

All she says is that she has had a letter. And it's awful isn't it? It may be so, but we do (EDIT not) know.

sebaaa, Simbindi, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  11. Dx Revision Watch

According to this Tweet:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1315379723011227648

Greenhalgh has two papers in preparation:

a qualitative study of illness experience in 112 people with "Long COVID" - which she says is "more clinical/HSR than sociological"

and an additional paper (but unless I've missed it, it's unclear what this second study is researching).

sebaaa, obeat, Simbindi and 6 others like this.
  12. Dx Revision Watch

13. Dx Revision Watch

14. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When it's a few medics they get disowned by their peers as traitors. Never cross the doctor patient divide.:whistle:

ladycatlover, sebaaa, Sean and 7 others like this.
  15. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

CNN - Kids struggle with Covid-19 and its months of aftermath by Ryan Prior

Long-haul children may be the most important cohort to research for a couple reasons, according to Leonard Jason, a professor of psychology at DePaul and director of the Center for Community Research, who leads that study.
    "Kids are often more defenseless and don't have the age, maturity or resources to stick up for themselves," he said. "And kids are less complex in a lot of ways, so there are fewer extraneous factors."
    He has spent much of his career studying post-viral symptoms across a range of diseases and trying to extract lessons from the aftermath of past epidemics.

ladycatlover, merylg, sebaaa and 18 others like this.
  16. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The article above appears to have been translated through half a dozen languages before arriving at the English! :rofl:

...He added: “It’s not a title-tattle, it’s a baldardash and nonsense. I can tell you I’m less than a few butcher dogs."...

...Furthermore, young people tend to report taller covids more than older ones, the professor said...

sebaaa, shak8, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  18. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I, for one, am shocked, shocked, that standard clinical practice is happening. Who could have predicted that physicians would follow official guidance and training used in practice for years?!

sebaaa, rainy, lycaena and 9 others like this.
  19. rvallee

Ugh. Still no one has actually argued what needs to be rehabilitated, why physiotherapists, occupational therapists and counselors are needed here to begin with. It makes sense to build that capacity long-term once primary care is competent but right now there simply is no care so thinking about the 6th or 7th step while the first several steps can't happen because of long-standard practices is ridiculous.
    No paradox here, medicine is explicitly built to fail with chronic variable fluctuating conditions. What we are seeing right is how medicine deals with this kind of problem, we are not seeing the absence of a response but rather the response itself.

Because this is important here: this is not medicine failing to deal with a brand-new problem and having no plan yet, what we are seeing is the plan in action, with its decades of experience in standard clinical practice. It just so happens that a plan built on rejection of reality is not reconcilable with actual reality. Oops. We told you so.

20. rvallee

In French but not surprisingly, things are the same everywhere. In a Swiss study, 1/3 of non-hospitalized still have symptoms after 2 months. Smart quote by an internist: "The symptoms vary in the acute forms of the illness. There is no reason why it should be different in the chronic form."

https://twitter.com/user/status/1314975261822197763

sebaaa, MEMarge, Shinygleamy and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.