News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, the way that people with longcovid describe feeling well and going back to work or exercising then collapsing again fits with my own experience and Ramsay's description.

Many people with glandular fever feel exhausted for months then recover and do not go on to get ME. Similarly, it does not surprise me that some longcovid people are recovering at about 9 months as that is a common experience with a post viral fatigue.

These fatigue syndromes are often worse than ME (at least to begin with) as the fatigue and feeling bad are continuous. While some people with ME did start off very ill it is more usually a variable disease.

The emphasis on fatigue is why people touting cures often claim they had very bad ME because they were bedridden at the beginning but that is not a typical presentation of ME.

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I don't think we can make definite statements about what is a typical presentation of ME. But I do agree post viral fatigue that resolves after 6 months, sometimes longer can involved being bedridden for months at the start, but so can ME.

3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

very disappointing that even Maureen Hanson doesnt know that palpitations, tinnitus, chest pain, persistent cough, are not uncommon in ME :banghead:
    I know i have had them all since the original virus/infection that set mine off. Tinnitis & palpitations seem very common from my experience of listening to sufferers on social media for a decade. Also i heard plenty of reports of chest pain & odd rashes - ok they dnt crop up in the criteria but thats (imho) because Drs have a tendency to glaze over once one gets past 5 symptoms in one's description.

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That surely cannot be by Peter 'Denton' White?

5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haha no it's a different person.

6. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. If the incidence is 1 in 2000 (0.05%), and it looks like it may be, then Long Covid would qualify for inclusion in the European Reference Network (ERN). Anyone know the people heading up the Long Covid charities?

@Michiel Tack

Amw66, alktipping and Kitty like this.
  7. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article on possible long-term effects of COVID19 infection using 60 day follow-up of hospitalized patients
    https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-5661

"Discussion: In this multihospital cohort of patients hospitalized with COVID-19 in Michigan, nearly 1 in 3 patients died during hospitalization or within 60 days of discharge. For most patients who survived, ongoing morbidity, including the inability to return to normal activities, physical and emotional symptoms, and financial loss, was common (1). These data confirm that the toll of COVID-19 extends well beyond hospitalization, a finding consistent with long-term sequelae from sepsis (2) and other severe respiratory viral illnesses (3). Although most patients saw a primary care provider after discharge, 1 in 5 had no primary care follow-up visit within 60 days of discharge. Collectively, these findings suggest that better models to support COVID-19 survivors are necessary (4)."

MEMarge, Chezboo, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  8. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article on this study from Medscape. Didn't make me much wiser..

Medscape: Half of COVID-19 Patienst Report Ongoing Fatigue, Study Says

Overall, the patients' fatigue levels were much higher than the typical scores observed in the general population. However, their scores were lower than the criteria used to indicate chronic fatigue syndrome.

This lasting fatigue could become a major concern as people recover from COVID-19, the researchers wrote. At the time of the survey, about a third of the participants hadn't returned to work.

"This is of particular concern, given that it is recommended that post-viral infection return to work should take place after four weeks to prevent deconditioning," they wrote.

MEMarge, Michelle, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  9. Kalliope

In the text they link to an overview article about CFS/ME by Medscape. I see it's been updated Sept 07 2020.
    Is this a new article? Can't remember having seen it before... Just skimmed a bit and it looks good.

Medscape: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis)

alktipping, Kitty and Andy like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that's just an artifact of having never thoroughly assessed the range of symptoms in ME. Studies are always limited to specific symptoms and the kind of research that asks for all symptoms, as patient-lead Long Covid research has done, hasn't been updated in decades.

It's badly needed. Hell, most descriptions of ME completely miss out on neurological symptoms, which is absurd. We need large-scale research ASAP on this, asking for all symptoms and severity. Every last one. This thing where we limit answers because we limit questions is ridiculous.

This has obviously been motivated by the assumption that asking about symptoms "aggravates" them or whatever. But that this hasn't been done in decades is an incredible lapse in relevant information.

Simbindi, Chezboo, ahimsa and 6 others like this.
  11. rvallee

I'm seeing an abnormally high number of long haulers saying they had PVFS in the past, often noting it wasn't as bad (and clearly describing mild cases), massively supporting the hypothesis of a cumulative strain, that past infections leading to PVFS are a likely risk factor in ME. Which, if true, should entirely change how we deal with common infections, the current paradigm being to completely ignore them for the most part as they are assumed to be inoffensive outside of some vulnerable populations.

Which is all ironic because that was the bulk of Gez's previous video, that so many had PVFS, or something similar, in the past.

Obviously the implication of ME makes it so undesirable that everyone is motivated to avoid it, debunking the dumb idea of people "seeking" that "label". But the evidence is getting overwhelming, I noticed many in the past, saying the same, they had it but it wasn't as bad, and in those who continue to be ill longest it seems that much more prevalent.

This kind of study is very badly needed right now and all it takes is for someone with resources to know to ask the right questions and somehow that's not happening because asking the right questions on this topic is like wringing liquid gold from a stone.

Chezboo, Amw66, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  12. rvallee

MEMarge, Leila, Simbindi and 8 others like this.
  13. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So did he have PVFS and ME/CFS
    later (“i should know because I've had both I know what they both feel like”) and then completely recovered from ME/CFS or did he just have PVFS and recovered (“I had post-viral fatigue for a year after after glandular fever back in 2000”)? Confusing and conflicting statements.

Plus I despise when people use their n=1 anecdotal experience and generalize that long COVID and EBV PVFS and ME/CFS are totally distinct disorders and for EVERYONE. Sure you have specific COVID sequelae but most symptoms are same.

I mean seriously, he also doesn’t even consider the huge confounding factor of age, that he got PVFS 20 years ago when he was young and getting long COVID now much older. Dumbass that’s a huge confounding factor that can make long COVID appear far worse or very different!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    MEMarge, Chezboo, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  14. rvallee

Post-acute COVID-19 syndrome negatively impacts health and wellbeing despite less severe acute infection

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.04.20226126v1

Tinnitus had been noted before but this prevalence is... wow.

Noted elsewhere but no difference noted between positive patients and those without a positive test.

(Probably time to do a thread for Long Covid research? Let's say the possibility has morphed into a certainty.)

leokitten, Milo, Michelle and 7 others like this.
  15. Kalliope

CDC has now a short section on long term effects of Covid on their website:

CDC: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Long-Term Effects of COVID-19

The long-term significance of these effects is not yet known. CDC will continue active investigation and provide updates as new data emerge, which can inform COVID-19 clinical care as well as the public health response to COVID-19.

leokitten, MEMarge, Michelle and 10 others like this.
  16. Kalliope

Column in the Union; News for Nevada County, California
    Jonathan Hawkins: COVID-19 and chronic fatigue syndrome

People with ME/CFS have watched the unfolding saga of long COVID with deep empathy for sufferers — but not surprise. We know first hand the lingering debility that can follow a viral illness, the despair from a lack of answers and treatment, and what it means for a virus to leave you alive but not really living.

Society’s inability to explain or treat long COVID now is the predictable result of our past neglect of post-viral illnesses. We should all be hoping that long COVID leads to increased attention and research funding for these life-ruining diseases — because they can happen to anyone.

leokitten, Michelle, rainy and 19 others like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Guests: Mady Hornig, Fiona Lowenstein, and David Tuller

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-680/

Watched it/listened to it last night in a few sessions.
    This is just from memory.
    A lot of interesting stuff on the science/biology side for both Long Covid and ME from Mady mostly in the latter half of podcast. About autoimmune system, autoantibodies (much more, but way over my head).
    Didn't realise she started her career in psychiatry.
    A bit of discussion at the beginning about nomenclature; both for 'long-covid' and ME.
    Mady and Fiona both gave their first hand accounts of having Covid-19 and subsequent 'long-covid'.
    David talked about the NICE guidelines and what's been going on over here re MUS IAPT etc.

Just overall, so nice to have a group of educated people discussing ME etc who know what they're talking about.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2020
    lycaena, merylg, Amw66 and 20 others like this.
  18. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This unformatted list is the Platform modules which are on the NHS "Your Recovery from COVID" list.

Appendix B
    Platform modules
    • Goal setting • Swallow, voice and communication • Nutrition • Sleep • Pain • Breathlessness • Cough • Fatigue • Fear and anxiety • Mood and emotions • Memory and thinking • Getting moving again • Muscle weakness • Managing my day • Return to work

https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavi.../52/2020/10/Your-COVID-Recovery-guidance-.pdf

Kitty and Michelle like this.
  19. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When medicine is in doubt the message often goes back to basics. Exercise helps with many conditions, including regular fatigue, so in the absence of proper studies, and ignoring ME research, they promote it as a good option. Its an unfounded hypothesis. There may be many recovering Covid patients who will benefit. This does not necessarily mean that all long haulers will benefit, or even that any will. It may do harm if long Covid is similar to ME, or actually IS ME.

This tendency to go back to basics is a huge reason that many with poorly understood conditions get bad advice.

merylg, Amw66, leokitten and 11 others like this.
  20. jonathan_h

jonathan_h Established Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Blueskytoo, ahimsa and 45 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.