News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which video? I admit I am not reading/watching/listening to each link now.

Kitty likes this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suppose the interesting question is, who, or what, has informed Alwan's opinions about ME? Could the ME "experts" at Southampton have contributed to the formulation of her ideas on the subject? It would tell us something significant if they did. To whom has she spoken, or what has she read?

Clearly post covid is a "post viral syndrome". It covers a spectrum of disorders. One part of the spectrum seems difficult to distinguish from "post viral fatigue syndrome", which is what some, or many, of us were diagnosed as having. So what precisely is her objection?

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From your post #1902. The tweet has a link attached with a video.

Kitty likes this.
  4. Mij

I feel like I have leprosy after reading how they view ME.

5. Dolphin

Kitty likes this.
  6. Mij

Kitty and Dolphin like this.
  7. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Oh well done @Robert 1973. I mean she’s got 96k followers :thumbup:

9. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I think long-covid sufferers are going to need a history lesson on ME and psychiatry.

10. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Radio 4 link led me to Alwan's original blog, from which some understanding can be gained.

What is now becoming clear is that mortality is not the only adverse outcome of this infection and our surveillance systems must keep up and reflect that. I am advocating for precise case definitions for covid-19 morbidity that reflect the degree of severity of infection and allow us to measure moderate and long term health and wellbeing outcomes. At this stage of the pandemic, it is vital that we accurately measure and count all degrees of infection, not only in research cohorts, but as part of population-based routine surveillance systems. This includes people like me who were not tested at the time of their initial infection. Death is not the only thing to count in this pandemic, we must count lives changed. We still know very little about covid-19, but we do know that we cannot fight what we do not measure.

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/07/28/nisreen-a-alwan-what-exactly-is-mild-covid-19/

That seems to end with a simple fallacy. It is perfectly possible to fight what one does not measure. It is merely more difficult to know whether one is winning. But, as Robert McNamara found, you have first to know what it is important to count. He said "Count what is important, do not make important what you can count", but may have lost the war from relying on body counts. He supposedly thought them all that mattered.

It looks as though Alwan wishes to make important what she thinks might be countable. That may have limited importance. It seems unlikely to be helpful.

And good luck with accurate measurement of all degrees of infection.

MEMarge, Shinygleamy, obeat and 8 others like this.
  11. Dolphin

I have heard a lot of people in the ME/CFS community over the years we need to know exactly how many people have it. I don’t feel it’s a priority and it is going to be hard anyway to be accurate without easy diagnostic tests and where at the milder end, things are not very clear cut.

Also accurate prevalence figures can be lower as well as higher than existing figures. Lower figures don’t necessarily help.

12. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I looked up lymphadenopathy and it mentions night sweats and enlarged spleen as well as the tender nodes. I get the night sweats but I also get a pain that feels as if there is not enough room under my ribs that I am beginning to wonder is an enlarged spleen.

To be fair my GP did blood tests for the night sweats and enlarged nodes, but they came back normal. I have come to conclude that our tests are normal because we do not get them done when the symptoms are showing.

Something, possible a demand for ATP that can't be met at that moment, causes symptoms but when the demand goes everything works normally so the tests say nothing is wrong.

It happens with cars so it could happen to us!

I wonder if that will happen with covid.

13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've seen many anecdotal reports but nothing formal. It is however reported. But then again so is exertion intolerance and most medical authorities are still clueless about it so not a surprised they'd miss something seemingly trivial (I assume?).

14. rvallee

Same. I've read thousands of accounts of ME over the years. I've read thousands of post-COVID over the last few months.

No doubt in my mind. There is additional stuff particularly to COVID but the overlap is no less than 90% and ME likely explains most of the severe symptoms for most of the patients.

15. rvallee

The implication seemed to be that it is excessive rest that causes ME. So, basically the exact opposite of reality. Missed it by the whole field.

cfsandmore, Amw66, Chezboo and 13 others like this.
  16. rvallee

Kind of hard to recognize a lion when this is how it has been described to you:

[​IMG]

Although that's probably not fair, that is 10x closer to a lion than the BPS version of CFS is to ME.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    ahimsa, MEMarge, JemPD and 8 others like this.
  17. rvallee

To get an idea of the perception of long Covid in the general public, one of the studies got a lot of attention on the worldnews sub-reddit.

There is some healthy respect for the most part, even some appropriate respect for how serious ME is, or at least "post-viral fatigue". Some dismissive attitudes but not too much. There is usually some outright denial but haven't seen much there.

90 percent of coronavirus patients experience side effects after recovery, study finds : worldnews

MEMarge, Shinygleamy, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  18. rvallee

Plus ça change...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1311226331473096707

The abuse of language is one of my personal pet peeves in this. There is no shared understanding without a shared vocabulary and there can be no shared vocabulary with people who use language as a weapon in a statutory setting they fully control and intend to abuse.

As for whole-body shutdown... it's often called partial paralysis. Very difficult to describe. Again, basic vocabulary failure. So much basic vocabulary failure.

19. Dolphin

Reminder that this is the person who wrote this:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1292186331330891776

If she was just a random patient on the Internet, I probably wouldn't bring it up.
    But she co-authored this preprint:
    https://wellcomeopenresearch.org/articles/5-224

20. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A colleague of mine had the rather useful phrase 'has an inflated idea of their own importance'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.