News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is definitly one reason covid long haulers shouldn't shun m.e. folks. If they want to get a head start on research and understanding of the condition you would look to M.E. data/knowledge. That alone is something we have that many will not turn their backs on.

2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It may be that being seen as pushy or negative in the short term is a better strategy for the long term. We have always had this problem with some new 'ordinary' ME patients.

We need to keep telling the truth regardless of how the Long Covid people feel about it and us.

obeat, sebaaa, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

We can tell the truth about what ME is, in terms of definition and symptoms. What we can't do is tell individuals whether what they have is ME.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That would seem to suggest none of them have ME now while many are displaying ME-type symptoms.

Anyway, my main concern are the leaders within the LongCovid community.

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr Elisa Perego is the lead author of the BMJ piece and pre-print. The reason she is giving for avoiding terms like ME, CFS, post viral syndrome and similar is she doesn’t want labels and everyone should be investigated individually. However I’m not sure she has problems with other medical labels. And to some extent some sort of labels are required in medicine and research.

If one looks at her Twitter feed with replies she spends a lot of time challenging people with ME/CFS. She is replying to them first in most cases.

ladycatlover, sebaaa, Milo and 10 others like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think perhaps we can agree with SW about one thing. It may be unhelpful for doctors to pontificate on their own illnesses. Especially if they are not doctors of medicine.

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When Mowbray renamed ME as Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome it was a deliberate statement that there was no virus left in the body when that possibility had not been determined scientifically. It was strange since he was the one who was using the VP1 test to show enteroviral particles in the brain among other places.

It became official almost overnight but there was no internet then so I never found out why that happened. I suspect that it was the first step towards the BPS downgrading to CFS as they could fit a long gone infection into their theories but not a continuing one.

Virus living quite happily in parts of the body where the immune system does not reach happens in enteroviral myocarditis and it makes evolutionary sense that a virus could find a niche inside the body if the immune system misses it at first.

I am not saying it happens, but it is possible so using post viral is not good as it is not settled.

9. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Plenty of precedent for this, I suspect. Although not viruses, spirochetes are notoriously adept at making the immune system think they are not there. So it's not as if our immune systems always get it right.

Diagnostics don't always help. Testing brings in the overtly human arrogant blunder aspect, which exponentially opens us up to calamity. Whereas diagnostics leave clinicians warm and soft all over, some should come with surgeon general warnings for the patients.

Mithriel, Kitty, Art Vandelay and 3 others like this.
  10. chrisb

I don't wish to be contrary, but I am not sure what the evidence is that Mowbray was responsible for the name PVFS. I know he wrote a book with Jenkins in 1991, but the use of the term goes back to at least 1978 with the conference or symposium, and was generally used by Behan in the early 1980's. It is not even entirely clear to me that the term was intended to indicate that the virus had gone. It may simply have meant that there had been a viral infection, leaving open the question of whether or not it was still present.

11. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1312105322127847425

MEMarge, ScottTriGuy, Kitty and 14 others like this.
  12. chrisb

That's good. I interpret that as meaning that he recognises that there are cycllcal and constant varieties of CFS and that he has the cyclical form. It seems unlikely that he would mean that his condition is like CFS except for the cyclical nature of his illness,

This intervention is to be welcomed. We wish him well.

13. Tom Kindlon

14. Tom Kindlon

15. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find this worrying, though:

"When I'm good I can do anything I want," he said.

"I can walk for miles across the Dales no problem. But within days I can completely collapse. It took me nearly all of September to get back to where I am now."

Many years ago, long before my diagnosis, I was able to go hiking. I always had PEM afterwards, sometimes with a significant delay, so it looked like some kind of cyclical illness.

It wasn't. It was bog-standard mild ME, and the PEM may have seemed more delayed than it is now because it took time to aggregate enough activity to trigger a full-blown immune response. I understood that I might feel after-effects following something I classified as 'exercise', but as I was undiagnosed, I'd no idea that everyday, non-strenuous activity could add a huge amount to the meter that's always running in ME patients.

I really hope he doesn't suffer the same fate as me, and hike himself into a massive crash that, as well as making him acutely ill for months, reduces his function level by 50% for years afterwards.

ETA: Changed 'actually' to 'acutely' (flipping auto-correct!)

MEMarge, Hutan, Mij and 10 others like this.
  16. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has anyone sent them a link to Mark VanNess's video regarding PEM where he shares a story about a marathoner with ME who was able to continue running, and after six months came back for more testing to learn that it made her worse?

17. chrisb

That is just as I was, probably. That is the cyclical form. I was never back to 100 % but I was able to go long walks or caving and feel well enough to think that recovery was just around the corner, but the relapse always came to put me back in bed for two or three days. I must have recovered eight times a year for ten or eleven years. It becomes a bit wearing. That is why I believe entirely that he has what I had.

MEMarge, Hutan, obeat and 9 others like this.
  18. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From a lung health foundation in the Netherlands. It could be that many of those can attribute their symptoms to pneumonia. I still don't understand the obsession with getting even people who were borderline athletes just a few months ago to exercise, as if they not only "deconditioned" (nevermind that they displayed the same symptoms within days or weeks) but also forgot how to exercise. This exercise-as-panacea is extremely foolish and unprofessional, so much anchoring to concepts and just never letting them go.

And of course since there's never been prompt and thorough examination of ME patients short-term, we have no idea if this could be the case for some of us. I had at least 3 cases of bronchitis in my 20s. Never got checked, actually got an allergic reaction to an antibiotic. So much damage caused by the strong belief that testing plays a role in enabling the illness.

Longfonds: “Worrying picture of the long-term consequences of COVID-19”

https://coronalongplein.nl/informatie/longfonds-worrying-picture-long-term-consequences-covid-19

19. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. chrisb

All we need is more rapoor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.