News from Austria and Switzerland

Austria:

Petition website:
Austria:
1:40min TV report by Constanze Ertl:
https://on.orf.at/video/14341051/16161986/reform-der-behindertenbegutachtung-gefordert

Machine Translation:

Calls for Reform of Disability Assessments​

Around 800,000 assessments are carried out each year to determine eligibility for benefits such as wheelchairs or care allowances. More than 30 organizations are now calling for comprehensive reform because those affected often experience the examinations as degrading.​
​

 
Switzerland is getting an ME/CFS Research Foundation!!


Translated tweet from Christoph Ströck:
I am absolutely thrilled: Switzerland will soon have a foundation for ME/CFS research! I have great confidence in Martin and his team. They have our full support.

This further strengthens the DACH region. Together, we can expand ME/CFS research and bring it to the forefront globally.

Watch this space!
 
From Austrian TV:
Bürgeranwalt

Occupational Disability: Dispute over Redacted Medical Assessments
22:20 min. Magazine

Due to health problems, Christina S. applies to the Pension Insurance Institution (PVA) for an occupational disability pension, but her application is rejected.

When she requests the medical assessments on which the decision was based, she receives them almost entirely redacted—even the summary of her condition is barely legible.

Representatives of affected persons criticize this practice, while the PVA refers to the need to protect testing procedures. How can those affected challenge such a decision?
 
Information regarding your own case is redacted?!
A bit off-topic but bear with me... That's the norm for the NHS GP records. You can read about it here.

I only scrolled down the page and I'm not sure their list of examples and reasons is extensive. For example, all text messages I received from the practice were completely redacted in my file. Not a single word left. I thought the messages were benign and had less sensitive info than anything any doctor wrote in the notes. It's messages informing me that a sick note has been issued, an invitation to book a cervical screening, generic messages to all patients,... Maybe they were automatically redacted by default.

And you know, if someone writes lies which would upset the patient, the following NHS guideline could apply:
Sensitive information must be redacted:
  • to protect the patient or another individual from serious physical or mental harm

So I can see how someone could get away by significantly redacting a medical assessment report, albeit in a different country. I don't speak German, so I can't easily dig into the Austrian guidelines, if there are any available online.

That's all to say that this might be a systemic global problem.
 
Back
Top Bottom