NICE ME/CFS guideline - Stakeholder submissions to the draft and NICE responses - published 29th October 2021 - discussion thread

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Science For ME, Oct 28, 2021.

1. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Professor Edwards was at the round table, why didn't they make these comments to his face?

I hope the expert testimony becomes the tread that unravels the whole CBT system. I'm very thankful for the testimony and all you've done for the ME community.

My favorite part of the Consultation Comments and Responses is the denial, "we do not accept this". I would love to yell at the psychiatrists, "physician heal thyself".

2. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have given up counting the number of times NICE's response to stakeholder comments is along the lines of, 'That is factually incorrect'...

3. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They were remarkably patient. If my brothers kids whine for that long they get to sit on the stairs for a couple of minutes until they can behave.

Wits_End, alktipping, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  4. Simbindi

Association of British Neurologists :
    NICE:
    ABN:
    NICE [bolding mine]:
    I'm not that far through the stakeholder comment tables, but it appears there may be a number of NICE comments that would be worth saving and using for advocacy purposes, as well as to ensure the guidelines are properly implemented.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is genuinely "let them eat cake" level of being detached from reality. Sounds exactly like a millionaire complaining of having to look at homeless people and how it ruins their day. Holy narcissism, Batman. What is it doing taking up so much place in medicine, of all places?

Chezboo, Wits_End, tmrw and 24 others like this.
  6. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So am I.,,, or correctly I was, until life and age got in the way, I used to be called 'carrot top' as a child!

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm not surprised. More bleating from people we don't want to come anwhere near us thank you. It would be great if they would all stop doing their crap research and harmful treatments, and leave the field to those who know what they are doing.

alktipping, Solstice, Ariel and 21 others like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that might be the very thing they are frightened may now come to pass. Together with a wider public understanding of why.

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Nauseating.

alktipping, Solstice, Ariel and 11 others like this.
  10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

More and more, I wish that meeting had been recorded.

Wits_End, alktipping, ukxmrv and 22 others like this.
  11. Simbindi

The reason NICE gave for not recording it was to allow all the attendees to 'speak freely'. So the four RC attendees who signed the letter in the BMJ (not sure where else it was published) had absolutely no excuse for not raising their concerns at the roundtable meeting.

Edit: NICE did that for them and invited Dame Carol Black to chair the meeting, someone they cannot say would be unsympathetic to a biopsychosocial approach.

Arvo, Chezboo, Wits_End and 25 others like this.
  12. NelliePledge

It’s passive aggressive behaviour - the whole thing was set up for them to discuss like adults but….

13. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

OMG the Association for British Neurologists are so steeped in the BPS culture, this doc is gripping and essential reading!

Long, long diatribes about the "evidence". Replete with long lists of references to work of BPS believers, including Hotopf and of course all the usual British BPS suspects. Who wrote this? It can't be an unbiased outsider, it must be someone deeply entrenched in the BPS culture.

Lots of reliance on "there's no evidence for XXX ". Which is always a defence for maintaining current consensus - for which no evidence exists.

alktipping, Tobedyl, ukxmrv and 21 others like this.
  14. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps we could set up some sort of fund to help supply these people with distortion-free mirrors in which to take a long hard look at themselves.

Wits_End, alktipping, ukxmrv and 12 others like this.
  15. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes that is because Prof. Edwards understands what words mean. A placebo is a substance or procedure that is designed to have no therapeutic benefit. By definition it has no biological effect. These people are morons.

I'm under a year and I think I'm here.

Perfect. And — again — thank you @Jonathan Edwards

+1

16. NelliePledge

I feel like every single one of these people sending in comments from their organisation needs basic awareness of ME. A copy of the Purple book and link to Nina Muirheads CPD module to each would be a starting point. Don’t think it’s feasible as presumably NICE wouldn’t release the contact info or agree to pass on a communication from ME organisations.

17. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

This is a wily trick, @SNT Gatchaman. With the advent of fMRI, there are a whole new host of ways you can claim something has a "biological" effect when really it doesn't, not in the usual sense of the word.

For example, did you know that six weeks of mindfulness training can change your grey matter?
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S092549271000288X

Of course, if we didn't change biologically with each experience, we'd have no memory of it afterwards! But now there are whole new ways people can bullshit about the "biological" benefits of their favourite form of woo.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  18. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My money ' s on Stone.
    Disciple and currently empire building with FND

alktipping, ukxmrv, Solstice and 12 others like this.
  19. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lol and of course whenever anyone mentions "biological effects demonstrated by fMRI" it is traditional to reply with the words "dead salmon".

Arvo, geminiqry, alktipping and 22 others like this.
  20. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I had not heard of this! :rofl: (Which I find surprising, my neurobiology professor talked at length about the limitations of fMRI studies)