Open letter to Action for ME with concerns about their promotion of a problematic Care and Support Plan Template

Discussion in 'Open Letters and Replies' started by Trish, Aug 23, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:heart:

:balloons:

2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Similar posting on Facebook .
    Interesting that the resource was only being commented on by AFME and is owned by the Bristol clinic . That certainly didn't come across previously .
    Facebook screenshot attached

Thank you @ Trish
    ETA Note link to raise concerns direct with Bristol Clinic

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2024
  3. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, I’m shocked but also very pleased and reassured. I won’t tag Trish as she’s crashed but massive virtual Pat on the back for doing the letter, which was a mammoth task, and sending it off. Really reassured to hear this from Sonya.

4. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Really great work by Trish and an excellent response from AfME and Sonya.

5. Turtle

Turtle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

6. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow! A Result! So very well done Trish!! And everyone who contributed.

What we now need to hear is that AFME full stop finish 'their reliance' on Peter Gladwell, the North Bristol Clinic, and most definitely BACME. Those orgs/individuals must in future be nowhere near ME guidelines, projects etc. The idea of slowly slowly educating BACME is just fantasy - we don't have any more time for that.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2024
    Missense, Chezboo, Tal_lula and 23 others like this.
  7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trish you're a complete marvel! Thank you so so much, i know this took all you had for the time it was being drafted. And to all who gave input & edits too. You have helped many many people by doing this.
    Yes, I'm pretty impressed with AfME & Sonia Chowdary over this, I know where my membership money will be going next year! After the PACE debacle i never thought I'd say that but it just goes to show.

8. hotblack

hotblack Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many thanks to all involved. Especially Trish. It all feels very positive.

9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All credit to Sonya for a clearly argued and rapid response.
    I can understand why this would have been difficult to pre-empt on her part.

10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is fantastic news. Thanks so much to @Trish for all her work on it, and to Sonya for listening so carefully.

11. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you Trish for your work on this

I am so relieved that finally something doesn’t feel like a fob off inferring really it’s the patients fault etc that it felt we’d been getting habitually / knee jerk been believed to be the problem again. It was starting to feel desperate that our allies had been captured somewhat and we were back to being ‘done to’ , unheard, and told we were the problem etc

the ray of hope and relief of just getting this back replying as you’d hope a normal person would (when we were starting to horribly get used to not being able to assume that) , so it’s not ‘all’ after all, is enormous.

edit to add: respect , that’s the word. That feeling of something seeing what we might say with respect again

Last edited: Sep 3, 2024
    Missense, Tal_lula, Sean and 16 others like this.
  12. bobbler

It sort of sounds like they are touching on asking themselves that same question in how robust the reply sounds about fixing things. Which if so I’m very pleased to hear about

Missense, Tal_lula, Sean and 13 others like this.
  13. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’d like to say I share your optimism - time will tell I guess.

To be fair to AfME though, it was a pretty unequivocal response, so, they may be taking things a bit more seriously as a result of this.

Missense, Tal_lula, Sean and 11 others like this.
  14. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reading between the lines, “the Board” considers relationships and I suspect that there’s a relationship at that level with Gladwell that is above Sonya’s pay grade.I think he’s been involved there since before her tenure.

Kiristar, Missense, Tal_lula and 13 others like this.
  15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm late to the party, but a pile on of congratulations seems in order. Well done Trish, and my thanks to Sonya for the decisive action.

Missense, MEMarge, rvallee and 22 others like this.
  16. bobbler

NO I agree you are right to be cautious, good to hear a line about new ways forward involving seeking input though - but yes, too true there is a chance I've read what I hoped for into it :) and forgotten that there are many versions in between

hotblack, Ash, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  17. bobbler

yes on the it is interesting to understand more about these things and the different 'forces' in the charities that might pull one way or another. As I guess that is 'who/what' these things are, and I'd be intrigued to have a run-down for these players so I can understand more what the landscape is in that way.

Nightsong, hotblack, Ash and 11 others like this.
  18. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An ME charity should give due respect to a collective response from S4ME, as should researchers. We've earned that.

Missense, MEMarge, Nightsong and 12 others like this.
  19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Thank you Trish, and Sonya for listening and acting promptly. :thumbsup:

Yep, BACME are a complete waste of our time and lives. Sooner they are left in the dust of history, the better.

Kiristar, Missense, Fero and 17 others like this.
  20. tornandfrayed

tornandfrayed Established Member (Voting Rights)

Just catching up. That's amazing and such a contrast with other organisations' behaviour. Congratulations to Trish and all involved in writing such a powerful letter, and thanks to Sonya for listening and acting.

Missense, MEMarge, Nightsong and 15 others like this.