Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I can't help thinking of him as doing public penance for daring to speak heresy against the BPS religion.

Louie41, Helene, Tia and 14 others like this.
  2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr. Fallacy

Louie41, Kitty, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  3. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bit silly to film some of it in his back garden? (or it might be his friend's back garden? In which case it was them who were silly)

ETA just after 4 minutes.

Louie41, Kitty and Invisible Woman like this.
  4. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's probably his house. Nice gaff! as they say...

5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The thumbnail for that video is so unflattering to PG it's actually very funny.

6. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yuk.

There is going to be another film which explains the process of recovery or something like that.

Louie41, Kitty, shak8 and 5 others like this.
  7. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What possess the man to keep going on and on about it. Quite bizarre really. Patronising clap trap to most people. It's like he's never understood a word of his medical training. Where does he show objective evidence for anything. All fluff and opinion

Louie41, Chezboo, Woolie and 27 others like this.
  8. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Homeopathists would in the same way as those with beliefs about exercise are now.

Louie41, Kitty, Snow Leopard and 5 others like this.
  9. Adrian

Isn't it part of the 'treatment' to tell everyone you are better. The question I have is who is arranging the media blitz (and I would say being quite unethical in using garner's beliefs).

Louie41, Trish, Chezboo and 24 others like this.
  10. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I live in Liverpool, I know where that is. Anyone who knows Liverpool will know (or be able to find easily I think) where that is. I'm in Wales currently, theoretically on holiday... Though given the wet, windy, cold, horrid weather might be tempted to go home to Liverpool! Sorry, off topic!

11. JoanneS

JoanneS Established Member (Voting Rights)

With apparently further videos to follow, where presumably he will expand on the "knowledge and "techniques needed to deal with symptoms, and help to recover" (paraphrased). Is it significant that the first line is "I am a Professor of infectious diseases"? Is this done to try and give it medical credibility, would it constitute medical advice, and should there be negative consequencies to anyone following his advice, would their be reprecussions?

Louie41, Trish, Woolie and 17 others like this.
  12. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect it's a direct response to all the criticisms of him and CG on the BBC interviews and their stance that he was a private individual and not making a statement as a medical 'expert'.

So it's to clarify that he is making such statements as a medical 'expert'.

Dunno really, I pretty much read as that and stopped watching.

13. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, but his specialty (EDIT is) infectious diseases, and he has chosen the realm of psychiatry.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Louie41, ladycatlover, Barry and 9 others like this.
  14. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really need to know if he's still planning teaching that course on "evidence synthesis" that was listed on his university webpage the last time I checked. How does this approach fit in?

15. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Am I right in thinking that all the other pseudoprofessors have gone bit quiet except Garner? Has he not noticed that the Fat Lady has already sung on this story? Will Cochrane be organising a discreet neutralization?

16. Adrian

Someone is organizing press coverage for him. He may just be seen as a better press spoke person.

17. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if it ever crossed his mind that, if he stuck to evidence rather than flights of fancy, he could, as an Infectious Diseases doctor have said 'post-viral fatigue syndrome following a viral infection is common. Most people will recover spontaneously in 6 months, and nearly everyone will be recovered by 2 years.' Surely that would give relief?

Every time I read something from this man since his recovery, I am struck by how easy it is for people, even people who have been fortunate enough to receive many years of education, to delude themselves and believe really stupid stuff.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  18. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe Swiss Re, Science Media Center or the PACE authors are involved? I hope we one day find out more about who has been orchestrating this campaign against ME and LC. Is someone paying a professional to influence society's views through this media coverage?

19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

He did quite a lot of media in the early days post covid when he thought pacing was the way to go, and the MEA was helpful. I think he's discovered he enjoys being taken seriously by the media, and his new best BPS friends are surely egging him on. Surely some time other medics who haven't recovered from long Covid will tell him he's talking rubbish.

20. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the press just like a professor who talks touchyfeely bullshit. He is wonderful material - splurging nonsense about stress.