1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Barely worth mentioning
    https://ca.style.yahoo.com/5-signs-caught-chronic-coronavirus-110614616.html

5 Signs You Caught Chronic Coronavirus

Michael Martin
    Thu, October 29, 2020, 11:06 AM GMT·4 mins read

Fatigue

[​IMG]

merylg likes this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Psychology Today - The Long-Hauler Tragedy - More Frightening than Halloween Nightmares
    by Leonard A. Jason, PhD. and Vernita Perkins, PhD.

What are the lessons we can learn from these patients who have experienced decades of marginalization and victimization by our health care system? Similar to those with myalgic encephalomyelitis, many COVID-19 long-haulers are ready to or in the process of falling off a cliff, into a barren landscape filled with undermining messages invalidating their illness experience. They want to be heard, understood, they want our compassion, but instead they receive unmerciful rejection from a society that values abundant energy and productivity.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Hutan, Michelle, Sean and 9 others like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's well worth a listen. He really, really, really doesn't hold back over the failures!

I haven't watched the whole hour with the Q&A, only his presentation. It starts at 5' 10", and goes on until around 32'.

Hutan, Michelle, EzzieD and 16 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Best presentation on Covid-19 I've seen. Thanks for the heads up.

rvallee, Rick Sanchez, Kitty and 8 others like this.
  5. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

how surprising a journalist who puts in the hard work and tells it how it actually is without the horrendous need to spin it into something positive .everything he says is common knowledge the reasons for our current mess have always been there . we live in a world where parasitism has gone to extremes exploitation of everything for short term profit for a minority will lead to the worst possible outcomes for the majority .

Michelle, Shinygleamy, Sean and 3 others like this.
  6. Dolphin

alktipping, rvallee and Simbindi like this.
  7. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1322345507633668096

sebaaa, alktipping, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  8. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

this ace-bradykinin thing (not that i understand it) has so many explanations and similarities.
    very specific.

wondering, if its those "hydrogels" seen with covid, is the same liquid that fills up lungs on high altitude

there may be more triggers for this mechanism, not just a (covid)-(virus).
    ... covid may hijack the ace2-receptor and increase this bradykin-axis indirectly
    ... helminths may do via tissue injury... directly

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Amw66 likes this.
  9. Dolphin

sebaaa, Hutan, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  10. Dolphin

11. Dolphin

12. Dolphin

13. Dolphin

I came across a tweet where #MEAction said they have sent 300 press releases about Long Covid. So that may lead to more coverage.

sebaaa, Kitty, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  14. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well 'brain fog' is also a prominent common symptom for so many other health issues too. I don't experience 'brain fog'. I started experiencing cognitive issues 10 years into the illness from exercising that continuously caused PEM.

I hope this isn't going to become a focus piece for 'ME similarities'.

sebaaa, alktipping, anniekim and 3 others like this.
  15. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In this, Dr Klimas is recommending that people with (post?-)Covid take various supplements including 'baby' enteric-coated aspirin of about 80mg daily to prevent strokes because of risk of blood clots.

Is this going on in post-Covid patients in the UK, whether they still feel ill or not?

Despite strenous efforts to protect myself, I came down with something viral a month ago and haven't recovered. I don't think I'm on an upward trajectory. I didn't have classic Covid symptoms but my GP nevertheless thinks it may have been Covid, possibly because it's lasted so long and is very little better. It's too late for a PCR test and I can't get an antibody test. She's given me no medical advice and offered no tests apart from the antibody test. I can't safely get to the surgery for one, and the finger-prick ones you can do at home from private companies seem to have sold out.

But should I and others still not better after a few weeks be doing something? Are there tests we should be getting, such as whether our blood might clot?

Wondering what you think about Dr Klimas's claims about inflammation etc., @Jonathan Edwards?

alktipping, Kitty and oldtimer like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have not looked at Dr Klimas's presentation. I don't think we have evidence for any specific action at present. Aspirin has pros and cons. My understanding is that the stroke risks in the acute Covid illness, not Long Covid. Aspirin has been recommended for people under 65 as a guard against clotting problems in general but it may not be best to use it in the context of some otherwise unexplained medical problem like Long Covid.

sebaaa, Wits_End, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  17. Mij

I understand your concerns. I think I may have been exposed to COVID early on, but I think a few weeks is still a very short period of time to be concerned?

I've had viral infections that lasted for several months, including the one I'm currently dealing with. I'm very slowly improving, and the intense vertigo is starting to settle down. I've never taken any treatments for viral infections and eventually recovered from them, but that's only my experience.

sebaaa, alktipping, Wonko and 4 others like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I watched about 10minutes. I don't think there is any good evidence for any of the things she is saying I am afraid.
    I don't think ME has anything to do with inflammation or oxidative stress. The cytokines are all normal and no inflammation shows on tests or imaging. Oxidative stress has never made much sense to me as a clinically relevant concept.

lycaena, Michelle, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  19. Mij

During incremental exercise pwME oxidative stress enhanced earlier and antioxidant response was delayed. Don't know if this applies to other health conditions or if it's a normal response, but this was the case for me.

alktipping and MEMarge like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We've seen glimpses of this but it would be important to check the material. Either it's wrong and incompetent or a complete reversal of position from Chew-Graham's entire career. Either would be important to check.

A Keele University Professor has co-authored a new training module to help GPs understand the long-term effects of Covid-19 on patients.

https://www.keele.ac.uk/discover/news/2020/october/long-covid/gp-training-module.php

Unfortunately because of people like Chew-Graham, GPs cannot do that, as they have been trained to explicitly dismiss this type of illness with high prejudice. In fact they mostly find the very suggestion of this type of illness laughable, as in many actually literally laugh it off as silly nonsense. Oops.

sebaaa, Hutan, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.