Trial Report Possible Markers For Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / CFS Developed In Long Covid: Utility Of Serum Ferritin And Insulin-like Growth Factor-I,2023,Yamamoto

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Based on the reference list citing their own work, up until now the authors seem to have largely focused on high ferritin in acute inflammatory conditions. I'm in skimming-only mode so I can't follow how they get from ferritin in acute to ferritin in chronic illness.

Further based on the reference list they also seem to have missed a couple of ME studies which found hints of suggestions of iron involvement in ME (Lipkins & Birch ring a bell?). I can't remember clearly now but I think it was about possible issues with getting iron into the cell and/or utilising it inside the cell. There doesn't appear to have been any follow up. Typical

As someone with an oddball form of haemochromatosis I've always wondered about the possibility of a link between iron and ME so will be looking out for the currently in-press ref #8 paper "Utility of serum ferritin for predicting myalgic encephalomyelitis / chronic fatigue syndrome in patients with long COVID"

Having said that, I'd be surprised if simple ferritin levels are in any way useful. PwME report anything from deficiency to very high levels. And in my own experience with high, normal and borderline deficient ferritin levels I've never noticed any correlation with my ME symptoms whatsoever.

@Wonko, are you being followed up? As @Arnie Pye said, clinical guidelines are changing all the time but where I live a ferritin reading of >1000 would still raise a big red flag and at the very least prompt a repeat test to see if it's a one-off or something more chronic in which case the doctor would be expected to investigate further.

Arnie Pye, Wonko, bobbler and 4 others like this.
  2. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the research you mention is interesting but I realise I’m digressing from the original study in why because my issue is low ferritin and indeed I’ve more recently realised/confirmed it’s in ‘getting it absorbed’ or whatever as I’ve been tested even on iron tablets (previous gp of many years tended to refuse to test it or not provide the result and was keen to not give me iron tablets and when I’d been out on them as someone else tested me to get me off them - with threats of telling me my haemoglobin was ‘goin up’ which could have been untrue or inconsequential).

I feel hideous when my ferritin is low (despite GPs telling me I’m not anaemia we are talking a level of 5, and asking to be tested as I know it’s dropped - so there is something going on with gp guidelines there I think). I don’t know if or how it’s connected to ME as my ME isn’t ‘just that’ it’s there all the time but how much my ME has been ‘pushed’ does affect my ferritin levels even when I’m in iron tablets

Mij, Amw66, Ravn and 1 other person like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is my experience. My ferritin was sky high for a while, even higher than most with iron overload, but my iron wasn't. I was nearly anaemic. One point lower and I would have been in the anaemia range. The flip side happens too. My ferritin was high and I carry one gene that predisposes to iron overload, and several doctors decided I need to lose some blood (venesection). This despite I was borderline anaemic. Most doctors do not seem to look at ferritin much when they are concerned with iron overload. Its only there to confirm or rule out iron overload.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
    Kitty, Helene and Amw66 like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Non ME aunts ferritin is currently 660mcg/L. She had bloods done last week and they have been repeated so will see if it's confirmed next week. She asked for blood tests as she is constantly feeling tired and is light headed on and off.
    Practice nurse is taking an interest and discovered kidney function slightly under par .
    We'll see what next week brings ..

Kitty, Hutan, Mij and 3 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Utility of Serum Ferritin for Predicting Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in Patients with Long COVID

Abstract
    :
    Objective: The most common symptom of post-acute coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is fatigue, and it potentially leads to myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS); however, a specific prognosticator is lacking. We aimed to elucidate the clinical characteristics of patients who developed ME/CFS after COVID-19.

Methods: In this retrospective observational study, patients who visited Okayama University Hospital for long COVID between February 2021 and March 2022 were investigated.

Results: Of the 234 patients, 139 (59.4%) had fatigue symptoms. Fifty patients with fatigue symptoms (21.4%) met the criteria for ME/CFS (ME/CFS group), while the other 89 patients did not (non-ME/CFS group); 95 patients had no fatigue complaints (no-fatigue group). Although the patients’ backgrounds were not significantly different between the three groups, the ME/CFS group presented the highest scores on the self-rating symptom scales, including the Fatigue Assessment Scale (FAS), EuroQol, and the Self-Rating Depression Scale (SDS). Furthermore, serum ferritin levels, which were correlated with FAS and SDS scores, were significantly higher in the ME/CFS group (193.0 μg/mL, interquartile range (IQR): 58.8–353.8) than in the non-ME/CFS group (98.2 μg/mL, 40.4–251.5) and no-fatigue group (86.7 μg/mL, 37.5–209.0), and a high serum ferritin level was prominent in female patients. Endocrine workup further showed that the ME/CFS group had higher thyrotropin levels but lower growth hormone levels in serum and that insulin-like growth factor-I levels were inversely correlated with ferritin levels (R = −0.328, p < 0.05).

Conclusions: Serum ferritin level is a possible predictor of the development of ME/CFS related to long COVID, especially in female patients.

https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/12/14/4737

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2023
    Kitty, DokaGirl, bobbler and 5 others like this.
  6. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is probably next to useless, seeing as they think ME/CFS is just fatigue and low ferritin is associated with fatigue anyway.

Kitty, DokaGirl, RedFox and 6 others like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

They seem to have made a good effort to diagnose ME/CFS:

Kitty, DokaGirl, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  8. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ok, I didn't see that. I only read the abstract, which is not very clear as they seem to conflate ME/CFS group with 'fatigue symptoms'.

Kitty, DokaGirl, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  9. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems reasonable to me that people who are chronically ill, with no hope of recovery any time soon, will answer self-rating questionnaires differently from other groups of people.

For the ferritin levels, the difference might be the confusion between fatigue and ME's "fatigue-like symptom", and how those actual differences affect diet, activity, etc. What results will you get if you rate apples and bananas on the same scale of "deliciousness"?

Kitty, DokaGirl, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It could also be a predictor for hypothyroid?

Kitty, DokaGirl, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  11. Hutan

Just looking at the inter-quartile ranges, there's a great deal of overlap:
    ME/CFS: 59 - 354
    Fatigue, not ME/CFS: 40 - 252
    No fatigue: 38-209

My ferritin levels have been around the 75 ug/L (micrograms per litre). If I google, I get:
    One microgram/litre (ug/L) equals one nanogram/millilitre (ng/mL)
    But this paper talks about micrograms/millilitre (ug/mL).
    I've googled a bit more, and I'm pretty sure that their ferritin unit should have been ug/L or ng/mL.

I think this paper might have consistently got the unit wrong? That's hard to believe, but I've checked a couple of times.

Kitty, DokaGirl, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  12. Hutan

13. Hutan

The sex ratios are not consistent in the groups (lower percentage of men in ME/CFS group), and they seem to have found very different levels of ferritin in females in teh different groups. See Figure 3. I can't look at this carefully right now, I might come back to it, or someone else could look at it.
    Screen Shot 2023-07-19 at 9.52.46 am.png

There's probably not anything revelatory about ME/CFS, but it looks a bit odd.

Kitty, DokaGirl, EndME and 3 others like this.
  14. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was trying to think my head around the potential 'confounder' of the fact that whereas those without a condition will, as a group of females in particular, include quite a lot of people who have been allowed to be anaemic or at least really low in ferritin due to the way the health system and guidelines work (even the reference range being different for women and men notes there isn't an anatomical reason why 'lower would be just as good for women', just that the 'norm' will be lower because of periods in women).

Surely those who get that ill might be more likely to have at least had such tests done (I say more likely, not that all might have just that more than those who aren't tired at all or those who are tired but perhaps not as long as severely). Which effectively removes or thins the bottom part of the distribution and ergo from the average if taking the mean. The interquartile ranges seem to suggest this is the case, with 'less low' bottoms for ME/CFS vs fatigue vs healhy controls - as well as higher 'top ends'.

It sort of doesn't matter whether you exclude those 'receiving ferritin treatment' or not from being participants as I can't think of a recruitment strategy that could work around this issue?

Kitty, DokaGirl and RedFox like this.
  15. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ferritin is not just a marker for iron levels , it's involved in lots of processes .
    @SNT Gatchaman linked a paper on a previous thread ( sorry don't know how to link it )

My ME aunt does have high ferritin .
    My non ME aunt also has high ferritin which seemed to be related to arthritis onset - inflammatory marker.

16. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, DokaGirl, bobbler and 4 others like this.
  17. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting that pwME in this study have high ferritin. Mine has been intermittently low for almost 30 years.

bobbler, Kitty and Trish like this.
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://academic.oup.com/jes/article/7/Supplement_1/bvad114.1370/7290078

THU581 Possible Markers For Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Developed In Long Covid: Utility Of Serum Ferritin And Insulin-like Growth Factor-I

Yukichika Yamamoto et al.

Journal of the Endocrine Society, Volume 7, Issue Supplement_1, October-November 2023, bvad114.1370, https://doi.org/10.1210/jendso/bvad114.1370
    Published:

05 October 2023

Abstract
    Disclosure: Y. Yamamoto: None. Y. Otsuka: None. K. Tokumasu: None. N. Sunada: None. Y. Nakano: None. H. Honda: None. Y. Sakurada: None. T. Hasegawa: None. H. Hagiya: None. F. Otsuka: None.

Almost three years have passed since coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic broke out, and along with the number of acute COVID-19 patients, the number of patients suffering from chronic prolonged symptoms after COVID-19, long COVID, or post COVID-19 condition, has also increased.

We establised an outpatient clinic specialized for COVID-19 after care (CAC) in Okayama University Hospital in Japan in February 2021.

Our recent study has revealed that the most common symptom is “fatigue”, a part of which potentially may develop into myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

However, the pathogenesis and specific prognosticator have yet to be elucidated. The aim of this study was to elucidate the clinical characteristics of patients who developed ME/CFS after COVID-19.

This retrospective observational study investigated the patients who visited our CAC outpatient clinic between February 2021 and March 2022.

Of the 234 patients, 139 (59.4%) had fatigue symptoms, of whom 50 (21.4%) met the criteria for ME/CFS (ME/CFS group), while other 89 did not (non-ME/CFS group); 95 patients had no fatigue complaints (no-fatigue group).

Although the patients’ backgrounds were not significantly different among the three groups, the ME/CFS group presented the highest scores on the self-rating symptom scales, including the Fatigue Assessment Scale (FAS), EuroQol, and Self-Rating Depression Scale (SDS).

Of note, serum ferritin levels, which were correlated to FAS and SDS scores, were significantly higher in the ME/CFS group (193.0 μg/mL; interquartile range (IQR), 58.8-353.8) than those of non-ME/CFS (98.2 μg/mL; 40.4-251.5) and no-fatigue (86.7 μg/mL; 37.5-209.0) groups, and this trend was prominent in the female patients.

Endocrine workup further showed that the ME/CFS group had higher thyrotropin levels but lower growth hormone levels in the serum, and that insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I levels were inversely correlated with ferritin levels (R = -0.328, p < 0.05).

Collectively, we revealed that serum ferritin levels could be a possible predictor for developing ME/CFS related to long COVID, especially in female patients.

Earlier studies have suggested that hyperferritinemia is a clinical feature in the patients of long COVID, in which hepcidin-like effects could also be involved.

Our present study also uncovered a relationship between hyperferrinemia and endocrine disorders among patients developing ME/CFS after COVID-19, although further investigations are necessary to understand the characteristics of ferritin metabolism.

Presentation: Thursday, June 15, 2023

Kitty, Sean, Wonko and 4 others like this.
  19. Arvijansen

Arvijansen Established Member

20. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Based on this paper in PNAS. Paywalled - grrrr

Iron regulates the quiescence of naive CD4 T cells by controlling mitochondria and cellular metabolism, 2024, Ajay Kumar et al
    https://www.pnas.org/doi/abs/10.1073/pnas.2318420121

"Significance

Iron plays a crucial role in several physiological processes, including oxygen transport, DNA synthesis, mitochondrial function, and redox reactions. We have previously demonstrated that iron plays a critical role in the activation and proliferation of CD4 T cells. Iron overload leads to numerous immunological abnormalities, such as T cell dysfunction, but the mechanisms remain unclear. Here, our findings reveal that proper iron regulation is crucial for maintaining the quiescence and subsequent activation-induced proliferation of naive, but not effector, CD4 T cells. Using an iron-overloaded mouse model, we demonstrate that iron controls mitochondrial integrity and function in these cells. Moreover, the metabolic pathways are disrupted in iron-overloaded CD4 T cells, favoring the hexosamine biosynthetic pathway over glycolysis and glutaminolysis.

Abstract

In response to an immune challenge, naive T cells undergo a transition from a quiescent to an activated state acquiring the effector function. Concurrently, these T cells reprogram cellular metabolism, which is regulated by iron. We and others have shown that iron homeostasis controls proliferation and mitochondrial function, but the underlying mechanisms are poorly understood. Given that iron derived from heme makes up a large portion of the cellular iron pool, we investigated iron homeostasis in T cells using mice with a T cell-specific deletion of the heme exporter, FLVCR1 [referred to as knockout (KO)]. Our finding revealed that maintaining heme and iron homeostasis is essential to keep naive T cells in a quiescent state. KO naive CD4 T cells exhibited an iron-overloaded phenotype, with increased spontaneous proliferation and hyperactive mitochondria. This was evidenced by reduced IL-7R and IL-15R levels but increased CD5 and Nur77 expression. Upon activation, however, KO CD4 T cells have defects in proliferation, IL-2 production, and mitochondrial functions. Iron-overloaded CD4 T cells failed to induce mitochondrial iron and exhibited more fragmented mitochondria after activation, making them susceptible to ferroptosis. Iron overload also led to inefficient glycolysis and glutaminolysis but heightened activity in the hexosamine biosynthetic pathway. Overall, these findings highlight the essential role of iron in controlling mitochondrial function and cellular metabolism in naive CD4 T cells, critical for maintaining their quiescent state."

A quick search for "hexosamine biosynthetic pathway" shows it's involved in metabolic signaling including metabolic circadian rhythms. Lots of research relating to cancer. No idea if it could be relevant to ME in any way

Arvijansen, Amw66 and Wonko like this.