PRIME International Symposium, September 28-29 2026

This made me remember that reddit post by someone who was misdiagnosed with ME but in reality had a benign tumor pressing on their pituitary. They said they experienced something very much like post exertional malaise
I think this one.

Its on/pressing on the pitutry gland and slightly onto the optic nerve now so they are keen to get it sorted asap

Diagnosed via a brain mri, it was private
They arent sure what started it, but have confirmed it has been slowly growing for a year or so, and the timeline of growth matches with the progression of my syptoms
I also had my ovaries removed last year (preventative, high prevelence of ova5ian cancer in the family)
It seemed like pem, in that at the beginning of the symptoms developing i would go to the gym (twice a week for a low intensity class) and feel fine, then the next 2 days i would be exhausted way beyond what you would expect. It got to the point that i was exhausted all the time and had to call an ambulance because i was finding breathing to be exhausting (was absolutely terrifying!)
Severe overwhelming fatigue which would start the day after exercise, hence why they thought it was me/cfs. I also got really tired after long periods of concentration, couldnt walk far without falling, and had serious brain fog.
No confirmation yet that the symptoms improve with treatment though, as far as I can tell.
 
One of the things people are sometimes told to rule out when thinking they have MECFS is hypopituitarism, which has some symptom overlap.
In the same ballpark one of the avenues I went down early on and have heard others look to rule out was Addison's_disease, possibly supported by a local doc’s interest in cortisol
Low blood cortisol can cause a variety of symptoms, including fatigue, malaise, muscle and joint pain, reduced appetite, weight loss, and increased sensitivity to cold
 
I'm curious what people think about the reduction in capillary lumen diameter found in long covid and mecfs compared to controls from Rob Wusts presentation. The effect size is gigantic with a blue sky separation of the cohorts. I have some memory of s4me members being skeptical of the implications though.

What puts me off is that the one set of micrographs shown has ice artefact in the picture that seems to be supposed to be abnormal.

And if there really was a dramatic difference in capillary calibre and oxygenation someone should have picked that up clinically long ago.
 
What puts me off is that the one set of micrographs shown has ice artefact in the picture that seems to be supposed to be abnormal.

And if there really was a dramatic difference in capillary calibre and oxygenation someone should have picked that up clinically long ago.

Interesting, so a possible batch effect of sample storage/handling between groups. The counter argument could be that there is a very strong correlation between lumen diameter * capillary number and power output
 
I'm curious what people think about the reduction in capillary lumen diameter found in long covid and mecfs compared to controls from Rob Wusts presentation. The effect size is gigantic with a blue sky separation of the cohorts. I have some memory of s4me members being skeptical of the implications though.
I remember from the paper they showed an increase in type IV collagen deposition—did they show the same in this data?
 
As these two days draw to a close, I've been re-reading the piece which Chris Ponting wrote for the Conversation in 2024, two years ago next month

I want to thank you for this @Chris Ponting

In contrast, by 2013, and despite my decades of scientific training and academic privileges, I had done nothing for ME research. Why did I hesitate? “It’s not my scientific area,” I told myself. I trusted other researchers to identify effective and potentially curative treatments soon.

I was unprepared for the shock of my first ME research meetings. When studying other diseases, I had become used to vast conference halls brimming with celebrated scientists, enthusiastic PhD students, science prize winners, funders, and journal editors, all on the hunt for the next big breakthrough, grant or career opportunity.

For ME, however, the rooms were small and half-empty, funders and journal editors were nowhere to be seen, and researchers were talking at cross-purposes, showing sparse data from small-scale studies. These meetings were also empty of robust evidence for what physiologically had gone wrong for so many. At each meeting, a single word came to my mind: “forsaken” – those who others shun, neglect and abandon, whose existence is denied. I could not then, in all conscience, turn my back and walk away.

Not once have I regretted this decision. Its professional cost – measured in traditional markers of esteem, such as “glamour” publications, international conference and seminar invitations – has been more than offset by the fulfilment from working in this long-neglected field.

The extent of scientific disinterest in ME is clear: so far this year, there have been 17-times more publications mentioning “multiple sclerosis” than those mentioning ME or CFS, despite MS being rarer.

New study
My privilege now is to walk ME’s city of stolen futures alongside many people – like Simon – whose lost decades have been spent searching for their disease’s root causes. Together, for two-and-a-half years our team went back-and-forth with the Medical Research Council MRC and the National Institute for Health and Care Research NIHR. Eventually, we managed to secure a £3.2m award for DecodeME, a hunt for ME’s genetic causes.
/SPOILER]
 
And if there really was a dramatic difference in capillary calibre and oxygenation someone should have picked that up clinically long ago.
My sense is that if this is real, it could easily be explained by a “middle range” of diameters, where there’s a clear significant difference from controls but its not so severe that it produces recognizable clinical signs. In which case the diameter reduction is likely to be a downstream consequence of whatever actually causes differences in muscle performance. That’s why I’m thinking of the type IV collagen finding from the paper—there are local signaling events that can change collagen production and explain the finding. IL-1B for example causes a selective increase in type IV deposition in-vitro (though some of the other findings in this model might not be consistent with Wust’s findings): https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/01.RES.86.12.1259

There could be other unexplored factors that have a similar local effect, some other immune factor or something soluble that gets released with nearby muscle cell contraction.
 
As these two days draw to a close, I've been re-reading the piece which Chris Ponting wrote for the Conversation in 2024, two years ago next month

I want to thank you for this @Chris Ponting

In contrast, by 2013, and despite my decades of scientific training and academic privileges, I had done nothing for ME research. Why did I hesitate? “It’s not my scientific area,” I told myself. I trusted other researchers to identify effective and potentially curative treatments soon.

I was unprepared for the shock of my first ME research meetings. When studying other diseases, I had become used to vast conference halls brimming with celebrated scientists, enthusiastic PhD students, science prize winners, funders, and journal editors, all on the hunt for the next big breakthrough, grant or career opportunity.

For ME, however, the rooms were small and half-empty, funders and journal editors were nowhere to be seen, and researchers were talking at cross-purposes, showing sparse data from small-scale studies. These meetings were also empty of robust evidence for what physiologically had gone wrong for so many. At each meeting, a single word came to my mind: “forsaken” – those who others shun, neglect and abandon, whose existence is denied. I could not then, in all conscience, turn my back and walk away.

Not once have I regretted this decision. Its professional cost – measured in traditional markers of esteem, such as “glamour” publications, international conference and seminar invitations – has been more than offset by the fulfilment from working in this long-neglected field.

The extent of scientific disinterest in ME is clear: so far this year, there have been 17-times more publications mentioning “multiple sclerosis” than those mentioning ME or CFS, despite MS being rarer.

New study
My privilege now is to walk ME’s city of stolen futures alongside many people – like Simon – whose lost decades have been spent searching for their disease’s root causes. Together, for two-and-a-half years our team went back-and-forth with the Medical Research Council MRC and the National Institute for Health and Care Research NIHR. Eventually, we managed to secure a £3.2m award for DecodeME, a hunt for ME’s genetic causes.
/SPOILER]
Yes thank you for this Chris, it is an affecting and powerful piece of writing.
 
That’s why I’m thinking of the type IV collagen finding from the paper

To reduce capillary calibre, type IV collagen increase would have to be huge, like late stage amyloid. I think it would be detectable on standard BM targeting stains.

I would like to see analysis of the material by a routine service clinical pathology unit with a special interest in muscle - like the one led by Joan Round in the 1980s at UCL that found nothing of note on biopsies.
 
Nice work getting in contact. And agree if they can listen, learn and adapt it’s definitely worthwhile. This was an area I thought they may be interested in but haven’t heard anything
Yeah I remember that study, a replication attempt on that would be good. Did you email Altmann about it and not hear back?
 
I never usually get replies from researchers! It was pleasantly surprising to get a prompt response from DA. Not sure what I did right this time!
I think it’s probably little to do with us doing anything right or wrong a lot of the time. They’re busy, sometimes things align. As much luck/chance as anything. Just really pleased you keep on trying and that you got a positive response here :)
Hopefully they're aware of this study as they seem very aware of Fluge and Mella's daratumumab research.
I hope so too. You’d expect someone on their team to be familiar but sometimes things ate missed so I don’t think it does any harm to share information where we can.
 
To reduce capillary calibre, type IV collagen increase would have to be huge, like late stage amyloid. I think it would be detectable on standard BM targeting stains.
I mean that’s exactly what they showed previously in their data. The presenter says they used type IV collagen stains.


Timestamp 1:10

What are the indications for ordering those stains in clinical practice? Would ME/CFS patients meet it?
 
I had a look through the slides on that video presentation. I find it very hard to see how there can be functional capillary narrowing due to BM thickening here. I may be wrong but both frozen section and EM techniques have artefact problems (ice, obliquity, etc etc). I would prefer to see something like a 1 micron plastic section stained with Toluidine Blue on tissue put straight into glutaraldehyde. Individual high power images are always tricky to interpret. You really need to drive around a slide. The measurements look clear cut but I find it hard to see how such a clear cut difference is not reflected clinically. These are presumably static longstanding changes if real, so single CPETs should be well off, i think.
 
Unless it's adequately compensated by something that helps increase capillary dilation and endothelial permeability during activity.

I am not sure that capillaries (without a muscular media) dilate much, other than just filling with blood when arterioles open. I am also very unclear how it is thought all these changes alter oxygen exchange, which I don't think has much to do with permeability to water or protein.

I admit to being confused by these data. It would be good to see a formal publication.
 
Back
Top Bottom