Open Protocol: Multimodal MRI of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome: A cross-sectional neuroimaging study 2022 Shan et al

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Andy, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Upright and lying down interviews between pts would be interesting.

Sean, DokaGirl, bobbler and 4 others like this.
  2. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, not physical PEM, could be cognitive PEM, not sure

Oops...just checking through trials open and was posted in Oct 2022 on here, clearly they do not have enough study participant yet
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/proto...ging-study-2022-shan-et-al.29784/#post-446180
    (Threads since merged)

The explanatory model of the research and protocol is in this scientific paper in Frontiers of Neurology.
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36188362/

Useful bits for other questions:

Canadian Consensus - not ideal but not sure that will be too problematic, (many of the ME patients might be recruited from the YOU + ME patient registry - they have to do multiple surveys to be accepted into research)

It is not orthostatic stress i.e. comparing sitting to standing. The fMRI machine will most likely have a horizontal trolley into the MRI machine

It is important to assess anxiety and depression as this may alter performance on cognitive tasks

Looks like they are looking at the autonomic nervous system, hypocapnia levels with CPET's etc due to ME's unusual responses (respiratory alkalosis), mismatches in the inspiratory and expiratory phases of respiration

Breath holding data I think is around this. (A radiologist would know more about the technical aspects of fMRI and validity to test system in this way @SNT Gatchaman)

The training group with the cognitive task is the "active group"
    The validation group are the comparison group i.e. the "controls"

They will want people with fibromyalgia (so do not have ME).

It is a big radiographic study and they are going to look for severity in the data, as mentioned, by analysing the brain mapping of the glutamate and blood flow.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2023
    Mij, Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Hutan

I guess if Dr. Shan's work is pretty good, does he use the CCC or ME-ICC?

Should be interesting. We need more ME brain studies.

Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. hibiscuswahine

It is CCC. just did a reply on it.

DokaGirl, Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Re diagnosis, they also have two clinicians both confirming the diagnosis. They are choosing controls with a sedentary lifestyle.

A nice way of dealing with new cases of ME/CFS, some of which will be after Covid-19, I think.

I think the training and validation is for the data. So, all the participants do the same thing. Then, the researchers analyse half of the data and see what they conclude. And then analyse the second half of the data, and see if the findings are the same. Sort of a study and a replication of it in one study.

6. hibiscuswahine

Yes, not absolutely sure, may have read it wrong, validation does mean checking the results were right I think, maybe repeating it of getting an independent person to look at them....

Research methods pretty hazy from first being educated in them, but come out if prompted but memory and cognitive function do fail me often.:)