1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Researchers propose deep trawl of DNA to help uncover the causes of ME/CFS (Simon McG blog)

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Simon M, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is exciting, and crucial, research. Given that we have both the ICC criteria and recent work on characterising PEM, I think it'll be possible to design a screening tool that will rule out at least some people with other conditions or who have fatigue but not PEM.

merylg, Ravn, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  2. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, that is the kind of thing I am talking about.

A good question. As you say, the problem is that the infection rate of those exposed is very high, with only a few resistant to it. In this case conventional genetics, comparing at risk people got infected and the minority Who did not it’s probably more relevant.

Apparently, GWAS have turned up additional relevant genetic differences, in addition to those from conventional genetic studies. But as I’m struggling with a migraine I’m afraid you will have to do your own googling on this…

(I would expect the genetic differences identified to include those affecting genes involved in recognising the HIV virus as well as those that are expressed in T-helper cells, which are the cells that HIV infects. In fact, T-helper cells were only discovered as result of studying HIV)

thanks, Sasha. I know people had so many concerns about MEGA very understandable reasons. I think the study could be hugely important.

And I love that everybody can take part in including the severely affected who are normally excluded from studies.

that's an interesting question and I don't know if it's possible to look at that.

However, the examples I've seen (in my limited experience of the literature) have been of variants having an independent affects, as in the IL-23 Pathway Mentioned in the Blog:

Other autoimmune disease
    Researchers have compared GWAS results from different illnesses to see if they have something in common – and autoimmune diseases often do. Findings from these studies have led to the identification of a common pathway for several diseases, one that includes an immune-regulating molecule called IL-23. As a result of this insight, existing drugs that are used to inhibit the IL-23 pathway in other diseases have become a mainstay treatment for several autoimmune conditions, including psoriasis and ankylosing spondylitis.

thanks, Kitty

[/QUOTE]

merylg, Ravn, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not read it yet but thought it looked like it might add to the conversation.
    Paywall, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41576-019-0127-1
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1038/s41576-019-0127-1

merylg, Ravn, Robert 1973 and 4 others like this.
  4. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As U.K. ME/CFS Biobank will be involved, I am sure that some sort of abbreviated version of their Participant Questionnaires would supply sufficient information:
    to ascertain whether PEM is experienced,
    where & when pain is experienced, whether constant, regular, daily......,
    request a list of other diagnoses the patient may have,
    whatever particular info the researchers may find useful.
    There could be a quick version (for severe) or more detailed questionnaire (for those able to complete).
    Please shout @Simon M if you need any patient guinea pigs to ‘test’ a questionnaire!

I had already thought of:
    local support groups
    regional #MEAction group
    twitter friends
    FB groups
    Charity websites.......sure we could pull together to get the samples.

merylg, NelliePledge, Ravn and 6 others like this.
  5. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And I will be second in the Virtual Queue @Sasha

Fundraising possibilities @Simon M :

1) Any return envelope (pre paid from U.K.) for the pot could include a message:

“Please add a (xx)p stamp from the U.K. and help our research funds stretch a little further”

2) Consider asking for a voluntary donation for “the kit” (i.e. the survey/pot/SAE)?

Not at the application point, but include a donation slip (to include gift aid opportunity),
    Or the link to a Fundraising Page, in with “the kit”

saying “if you are able to donate £5 (or more) towards this research, that would go towards the tests and if you can spare more that that would help a fellow PwME, who perhaps is not in a position to donate cash, just their sample”

^^^^ I'm thinking along the lines of Jack Monroe's Tin Can book - buy your own copy and pay for another copy which can be donated to the food bank for someone else who can't afford it.

merylg, Ravn, ahimsa and 9 others like this.
  6. Chris Ponting

Chris Ponting Established Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry, I've been away on vacation and so have not been following these discussions. Simon FWIW I think you've done an excellent job of explaining the strengths and limitations of a GWAS. On this issue of GWAS versus WGS (whole genome sequencing): GWAS asks 'what DNA letters that are *common* in the population predict ME status?' WGS asks 'what DNA letters that are *rare* (or even unique to the individual) predict ME status?' The difference comes from the GWAS technology sampling only a million or two letters for any person, whereas WGS reads out all 3 billion (or tries to). This GWAS technology is considerably cheaper than the WGS one and so can be applied at scale (thousands of people) whereas WGS of pwME's DNA is being done on dozens of people. Because of the large scale of GWAS it becomes feasible to robustly (i.e. statistically) say that a particular DNA variant is more likely to be in pwME than in healthy controls. Typically, this cannot be done with the dozens of WGS from pwME. Hope this is OK.

Another question I think has been "Will these be real cases of ME/CFS?" Yes! We will be consulting widely over this issue (of course) before the study plan is finalised, but the current idea is to start with the CureME Biobank inclusion/exclusion criteria (https://cureme.lshtm.ac.uk/researchers/inclusionexclusion-criteria/). A GWAS where each of the ~20k participants is assessed clinically would not be possible (too expensive) so the criteria used would need to be validated by subsampling participants and clinically assessing them. We expect different genetic contributions to ME risk ("genetic heterogeneity") and so do not wish to define ME using the narrowest criteria ("phenotypic homogeneity"). The narrowest criteria would disallow any chance of reaching 20k participants. I want to say - strongly - that PEM will be a primary inclusion criterion and that patient/carer groups will be involved centrally in drawing up the final study design and inclusion/exclusion criteria. I was around on the periphery of MEGA and see how some things need to be done better for this project. (We also need a name for the project - any ideas?)

merylg, Hutan, MarcNotMark and 26 others like this.
  7. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Chris – and for all your work on this.

Can you shed any light on whether/how GWAS could help if it transpired that ME was caused by a pathogen, as I asked above? My limited understanding is that it would help if ME was triggered by a pathogen in genetically predisposed individuals but that it would have been unlikely to help with the discovery of HIV or the prion which causes vCJD. Is that correct?

I think many of us are fed up with annoying acronyms like MEGA, PACE, GETSET etc. I would chose something that sounds dry, serious and scientific like the ME GWAS study.

Off topic, but I’m also hoping that the CMRC might be persuaded to change its name to reflect its new direction and focus.

merylg, Hutan, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  8. Chris Ponting

Hi Robert. Yes, absolutely correct. Because the trigger (the pathogen) is not "written into" the DNA of individuals, we would not "see it". But what we can do is to detect what DNA letters predispose pwME to not recovering from these triggers. Knowing what the molecular/cellular deficit in recovery is becomes the first step to reversing the deficit.

OK: I like the ME GWAS. Nice and simple. I'll see what others thing.

CMRC: For clarity, "ME GWAS" is not a CMRC project. It is a joint venture between scientists such as myself and from the CureME Biobank, charities and pwME. There is a problem with losing the "C" in "CMRC" though because it then reverts to the "MRC" who are a main grant giving body! I'm less interested in names, and more interested in what can (needs to) be done. But I appreciate that, to some, names can evoke strong reactions!

Dolphin, Sarah94, EzzieD and 12 others like this.
  9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Will patients from outside the UK be able to participate? Have you considered working with researchers in other countries to reach the 20k target faster? Or is that not viable.

lycaena, Trish and Andy like this.
  10. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like it!

Should we start a thread for name suggestions for the project (so that this thread can focus on the science)?

Trish and Andy like this.
  11. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good point about acronyms.

But bear in mind that this project might need to recruit 20,000 people (more, since some won't meet the selection criteria). So we will be going well beyond the current ME online community, and reaching people who don't know much about research. I think ME GWAS won't mean anything to many pwME reading an article about the study in their local paper or hearing it on the radio. Maybe something with DNA or genetic in the title, something that most will recognise.

Along with ME, maybe: many people, esp outside the UK, won't recognise "ME" as they will have been told they have CFS. Even most US researchers (sadly) use CFS not ME or mecfs.

But name ideas are not my forte.

Joh, EzzieD, ukxmrv and 9 others like this.
  12. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Chris Ponting

Yes, my main concern is meeting this target. One thing that I need to find out is what are the restrictions from recruiting from outside the UK. This will be defined by the ethics committee governing the study so we won't know for a while.

MarcNotMark, Dolphin, EzzieD and 11 others like this.
  14. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What does the T stand for?

15. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thymine

Andy and Little Bluestem like this.
  16. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I keep reading GWAS as Gulf War.. so it has been confusing for me.

I would love to be able to participate in this study. I am in New Zealand though. It would be great if we could have a cohort that are a mix of patients from all around the world as one cohort group. I've never been in a ME study and would love to have the opportunity if it is possible.

merylg, Hutan, MarcNotMark and 9 others like this.
  17. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Make that two of us :thumbsup:

Also, if done well, the recruitment process could double as a sort of PR exercise for ME as a serious condition. Along the lines of "Wow! Somebody is prepared to look at the dna of 20,000 people - that must be something nasty they're looking for."

For example, the various charities may be able to get a few articles into the general press for the occasion. And, if it's legal, GPs could be asked to think of any ME patients they might have - yes, doctor, those heartsink ones you prefer not to think about - and be asked to give them an information sheet on the study.

Hutan, MarcNotMark, lycaena and 9 others like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

What facilities/equipment/expertise would be needed to analyse the samples? If the project could be made 'modular' in some way, so that it's exact process could be replicated almost anywhere, could samples then not be analysed in different countries and the data pooled?

Hutan, Amw66, Snowdrop and 8 others like this.
  19. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

merylg, Simon M, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  20. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I've added a thread on this here:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/genom...ychiatric-origins-for-anorexia-nervosa.10396/

merylg, Simon M, MeSci and 4 others like this.