1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Survey: Doctors' Knowledge and Understanding of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, UK, 2018, Hng

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, May 1, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Originally intended to be published in a journal, Dr Hng has decided instead to release this into the public domain.
    Code:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R6MgsNuEjdj1fsfJds5bJ2MAACSogOXn/view

Post on her Facebook page
    Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/DrHng/posts/922049561548938

MEMarge, Dolphin, Barry and 13 others like this.
  2. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This would be better if it goes through peer review. It's not much use to the scientific community unless it goes through the proper channels.

Dolphin, Keela Too, Barry and 12 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I believe that was the intention but I understand her current level of functioning prevents her from doing so. Perhaps if someone was able to do all the work for her it would be possible, but I'm only guessing.

Samuel, Dolphin, Barry and 11 others like this.
  4. adambeyoncelowe

Ah. That makes sense. Maybe someone could support her in this?

DokaGirl, alktipping, RuthT and 3 others like this.
  5. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be best to find out what the barriers to publication were. It could be expense, or something like that. Is she on the forum?

Simone, DokaGirl, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not as far as I know.

7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe Nina Muirhead would be interested? any way to let her know?

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretty much as expected. We've seen the internal NHS training module and the documentation they use, they are the same awful as this. Actually besides the "treatments" some of it is a bit better than expected given how catastrophically bad and misleading the training material is.

Is training medical personnel wrong on purpose about a serious disease a problem? I think it is. But maybe I'm just weird like that. Should it cause problems, ethical and legal? You bet your ass it should. It's criminal. But it's supported by authorities and, especially, medical institutions making it technically "legal" and proper. Bit of a pickle, here.

So what happens when discrimination and disinformation come straight from official sources? Disaster. Predictable disaster. Predicted, even. It's all on record, too. There's even a judicial review that raised all those concerns, based on clear evidence, and was dismissed with high prejudice. One of many such clear well-documented objections.

But none of this is surprising because this is the disaster people like Wessely, Gerada and the rest built. On purpose. For reasons that need serious examination and a thorough reform of the entire thing. Because how much medical training out there has the same features? How much of it is literal disinformation based on ideology? Maybe no more of it. Maybe half of it. Can't know without looking. But, again, this is criminal. It needs to be examined in that light. Now!

MEMarge, JemPD, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.
  9. Peter

Peter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No patient should be surprised of how insanely bad knowledge is, but good to see it presented like this, even if not in a journal, even if only 44 questionnaires were analyzed.

There are no surprises here. 98% of participants would go for GET..
    The only positive here, if one looks at it in a very positive way, must be that out of 36, 20 (56%) was positive to further more in-depth teaching on ME. The right answer here would be a 100% wanting in-depth lectures, but guess we’ll have to be satisfied with 56%?

Overall I agree. It is simply criminal that authorities accept that people supposed to have knowledge of a disease, de facto hardly knows anything at all. And they still wonder why “vexatious” patients ask for simply getting the very basics right?

10. InitialConditions

I have messaged Nina about this. I think she is in contact with Dr. Hng.

11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be really great if the medical professionals with ME worked more together. Even if it doesn't produce much, at least over time it could build something useful.

I guess it's the rampant discrimination that discourages them? But that's not going away anytime soon and neither is their ME so... how do we get that to happen? Probably our biggest missed opportunity so far. Medicine doesn't care what patients think. They care what their colleagues think. They want a specific language and framing that only other MDs can deliver. The complete disconnect between what is taught and believed and reality is itself extremely significant.

I certainly get the personal reasons for that but it's self-defeating, for them and for all of us. It really doesn't have to be much, burden-sharing can deliver what one can't on their own. I have no idea how to do that but the fact that we can't even do something this simple says a lot in itself.

12. InitialConditions

I agree. I think Nina and Dr Hng have or are working on something together. Nina does a lot of work on ME education - a lot of it behind the scenes.

13. adambeyoncelowe

That's good. If Nina mentions this in her own work, it might not matter that this wasn't peer reviewed in this instance. It may later on, via Nina's work.

14. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1257717988574322693

15. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are a lot of journals, perhaps the majority, where there is no fee, but then they are generally behind a paywall.

Invisible Woman and Amw66 like this.
  16. Tom Kindlon

17. Tom Kindlon