Majeed 1996, where no one reported nausea, doesn't seem to include the position of patients specifically for the buspirone part of the study, but for three other neuroendocrine challenges in that thesis, it says variations of this, so I assume it applies to the buspirone part too:
These are from two of the studies in which patients had greater nausea than controls.
Sharpe 1996:
The
Bakheit 1992 thesis:
Edit: Removed mistaken interpretation. It seems like a study with nausea and a study without nausea both had participants that were fully horizontal the whole time.
thanks for confirming - I wasn't up atm to looking thru myself right now to find those answers. It is good to know that it was explicitly noted in each as I half expected it might not be.
I had to just check whether 'recumbent' is a broader term that 'supine'. Apparently it is and that can include the semi-supine of having a slightly reclined chair. I feel like I'm being pedantic but it feels there is the possibility that semi-supine or recumbent leaves the possibility people were in a chair without being able to have their feet up and maybe a recline of 30-60 degrees. Vs supine less than 10 degrees.
PS I'll also note I've had enough experiences in recent years where someone has 'let me' lie down but then put the back of the bed up a bit in a real bed or be on the medical couch but the back is up on that, that even if it was that and they thought it was all recumbent and nice actually it is almost a worst of both worlds because you are sort of stuck at a weird angle on something not designed to be comfy that way without decent head support at that angle (particularly when having to talk) and nothing stop you sliding, getting back ache and having to engage stomach muscles because you aren't sat up and aren't lying down. Badly reclined things that aren't really full-designed to relax with your feet up and loads of cushions behind and pillows in the right place to support head are a complete nightmare. I moved from a 'recumbent' bed into a zero gravity that supports arm and back and lifts feet etc once and the relief was visible to all in the room. I've asked to lie down in long appointments and regretted it as I'd found the couch with the back up a bit was as bad if not worse in those other ways than trying to stay in the upright chair that at least had a high back.
I don't have references but whilst certain causes of nausea you'd expect more upright to be less likely to feel sick, the OI-related and whatever the 'need to lie flat' overwhelming exhaustion wave/magnet we can all get when we hit another limit, and the length of the test I think the use of those broader, more general terms is interesting if the Majeed 1996 explicitly used supine.
I guess the other thing in my mind is method of collecting info/symptoms. I have no idea what others who have been /are in different situations than I have as far as ability to be able to report things. What I would tick on a list, particularly if it is presented like a medical questionnaire that's about eg safety for an operation and so includes what I might have had before the whatever or have all the time
might be very different to what I'd see as worth reporting if someone was coming in asking for side-effects and I had to think off the top of my head.
I would also be very cautious of the context I was in and how safe I felt reporting certain things - for example I'd use terms that were 'accepted' like migraine if in a hostile situation temporarily vs talking about light sensitivity, or even just when surrounded by people who aren't going to do anything about it and feeling rubbish and so needing to speak in their language. So if I'd been stuck in a chair for hours with my feet down - I don't know details of other environmental things but was surrounded by people who would pull faces at certain more specific reports I might broaden or just leave it as nausea even tho it left it to interpretation that it was like eg those other illnesses/situations where it might be nausea, nausea rather than I'm feeling exhausted and if I was home I'd have been lying down hours ago and so I have all these symptoms that tend to relate to this as a package type nausea - and to another pwme who got it I might say 'it's OI and when I'm about to faint I feel increasingly x, y, z'.
EDIT: and of course if someone just presents you at the end with one of those endless questionnaires with boxes on then you can only tick or not tick what is on there etc. It's very hard without that extra free text when feeling awful to be able to say 'I'd be feeling this way before, but anyway if you'd stuck me in this chair for 4hrs without anything I'd probably feel more rubbish on x, y, z so who knows if it is a side-effect... where as a,b,c are definitely things I feel are 'new' or specifically related'.