The Chrysalis Effect

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic theories and treatments discussions' started by Sly Saint, Dec 17, 2021.

1. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Elaine Wilkins and the Chrysalis Effect frame ME as caused by childhood trauma and feature ACE (Adverse Childhood Experiences) in training their Chrysalis 'practitioners':

'At a recent evaluation, attended by clinicians and therapists, Oxford University researchers have recommended our trauma informed coaching model to healthcare providers to transform the approach for patients!

[​IMG]
    In honour of this, we have launched a bursary offering to train a cohort of passionate people keen to start their exciting coaching career.
    [Bursary offers a significant discount so numbers will be limited].

The HOW and WOW of ACE and Trauma Informed Wellbeing Coaching so you can experience the power and possibilities 2024 has in store for you.

And if you love it, you can 'Be the Change you want to see in the world' and apply for a place on our bursary programme too!'

'The Chrysalis Effect offers an established step-by-step pathway to help support sufferers of M.E/CFS and Fibromyalgia on their journey to regain health and well-being.

The M.E Association state that 'recovery is rare' and actively report organisations, who believe it is possible to regain health, return to work and normal energy levels, to the Advertising Standards Authority. The tried-and-tested protocol used by The Chrysalis Effect was developed by Elaine Wilkins following her own six-year battle to overcome M.E/CFS and seeks to address the underlying causes of physical and emotional health, using the Bio-Psycho-Social approach rather than the Bio-medical approach favoured by the M.E Association.

To date more than 5000 people in 27 countries have accessed the pathway which is gaining significant attention and endorsement from medical health professionals and is a commissioned service for NHS patients in the Midlands, so far.

https://www.thechrysaliseffect.co.u...KjPP6asxF1AwD_RoQRMtjRjCkfWMgeEHktRfjlb8IvD5Y

DISCLAIMER
    At The Chrysalis Effect we challenge mainstream thinking about M.E and its symptoms.

The Chyrsalis Effect is in no way a replacement for medical treatment but derived from the real shared personal experience and professional work undertaken by those contributing to it.

https://www.thechrysaliseffect.co.uk/disclaimer/

Note -
    The Chrysalis Effect/Elaine Wilkins does NOT challenge "mainstream thinking about ME and it's symptoms". Chrysalis Effect blatantly states it "seeks to address the underlying causes of physical and emotional health, using the Bio-Psycho-Social approach rather than the Bio-medical approach"

The Biopsychosocial model is arguably still the dominant approach in the NHS, despite it's evidence base being discredited and debunked.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Will this disaster never end.

I have submitted this on their contact form:

The automated reply promises to get back to me within 48 hours.

bobbler, alktipping, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

How is this compliant with NICE 2021

4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Possibly just me but isn't 48 business hours at least 8 days?

Assuming that said business is open 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

48/8 = 6 days, but if they are only open 5 days a week......

..so plenty of time to make a sarnie before they reply, or to go on a cruise.

mango, TiredSam, bobbler and 9 others like this.
  5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It doesn't pretend to be, or need to be. They state clearly that their programme has nothing to do with medicine or treatment.

The patients seem to be irrelevant. The scheme's income appears to be derived from offering "coaching" to mugs wiling to pay to sit and listen to them spouting codswallop. The mugs then go out and try to find other mugs willing to be "coached" (i.e, listen to them spouting codswallop). There are various names for schemes like this, none of them very complimentary.

MEMarge, Tia, Arnie Pye and 10 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Similar language to the acuseeds stuff. "Not intended as medical treatment", claims not to "challenge" the reality of the illness and how it's just "personal testimony", but also tried-and-tested and should work for everyone.

You invite one pseudoscience and they all come barging in.

Arnie Pye, bobbler, Sean and 8 others like this.
  7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

However if some part of the NHS in the Midlands is commissioning the Chrysalis Effect Team to provide clinical intervention with patients with ME/CFS this noncompliance with the current NICE guidelines needs to be addressed at both a local level and nationally.

MEMarge, Tia, bobbler and 9 others like this.
  8. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. And with reference to the Advertising Standards Authority's previous rulings on the unlawful Chrysalis Effect's advertising.

Advertising Standards Authority Ruling on The Chrysalis Effect advertising
    06 September 2023:

'The ad must not appear again in the form complained of. We told The Chrysalis Effect Ltd to ensure they did not make claims that their programme could aid in ME/CFS recovery, or full clinical recovery from ME/CFS, unless they held sufficient evidence to support the claims.'

https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/the-chrysalis-effect-ltd-g22-1164009-the-chrysalis-effect-ltd.html#:~:text=The ad must not appear,evidence to support the claims.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    MEMarge, bobbler, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

+1

My guess they are being allowed in, even invited in, as just variations on the placebo effect, which is "one of the most powerful interventions we have", according to Sir Simon and others.

If so, then clearly they think that all that matters is finding a form of placebo that is acceptable. If it is CBT, Chrysalis Effect, homeopathy, crystal gazing, shakra realignment, whatever. Doesn't matter, they think it all works the same underneath.

Thus falls science-based medicine.

Lou B Lou, rvallee, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  10. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect this is just a marketing strategy - i.e. there is no 'bursary', the original non discounted price is just an inflated price they never intended to charge, and there are not limited numbers they just want people to buy now for fomo. I think they make money from uninformed, well intentioned people who've bought into the idea of being a 'coach' as much as they make money from actual patients.

This bit makes me laugh. The fact that it's derived from the work of those contributing to it seems fairly obvious but not sure it lends it any legitimacy! And they're really stretching the definition of 'professional'.

Sean, bobbler, Lou B Lou and 6 others like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Looks like it's the same pyramid selling model as LP. Also calling their practitioners coaches rather than therapists, is part of the same scam set up to stay outside medical regulations.

Sean, bobbler, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  12. NelliePledge

Shouldn’t be anywhere near NHS

Kitty, Sean, bobbler and 6 others like this.
  13. NelliePledge

I presume ME Association are aware of this but have pinged them a message just in case.

ETA. They have confirmed they are aware :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
    MEMarge, Kitty, Sean and 4 others like this.
  14. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've just had an email from The Chrysalis Effect (even though I've asked to be removed from their mailing list). It says,

The word Recovery is just a word, yet it is highly contentious when it comes to chronic exhaustive illnesses like M.E, CFS and Fibromyalgia.

Some people believe it is possible to recover fully while others do not.

We have all heard the term 'evidence based medicine' and of course for us to know if recovery is actually possible from these illnesses there would need to be evidence.

On Wednesday 29th May, I have with me, four women who each had their own diagnosis and will be exploring and sharing with me:

• Their own personal and professional experiences.
    • What type of evidence is required and by whom?
    • Which types of evidence are not accepted and why?
    • Who refutes or accepts evidence and what does that mean for those diagnosed and struggling with the pain and debilitation of a long term chronic illness?
    I would love you to join us and share your thoughts.

'Is Recovery Possible,What is the Evidence?'

Date: Wednesday 29th May
    Time: 10am (GMT)

Which I interpret as: How dare those 'anti-recovery activists' not accept our evidence, even though we're not scientists or health professionals? Don't they know that anecdotal stories from our practitioners are the best kind of evidence there is?

Last edited: May 23, 2024
    Amw66, MEMarge, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  15. NelliePledge