UK 21 June 2018 | 3-hour ME debate in Westminster Hall, secured by Carol Monaghan

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sasha, Jun 6, 2018.

1. large donner

large donner Guest

Removing the stigma of "mental health" is a current government sound bite.

It sounds nice and progressive but it means that the government who charge a bedroom tax on the poor and disabled, tell people they are fit to work who drop dead a week later, cut disability benefit off using ATOS, removed the minimum income safety threshold for people on benefits, sanction disabled people and others on benefits so they cant feed themselves and have to go to food banks,.......

WANTS TO DECLARE MORE PEOPLE MENTALITY ILL.

Who will they use to market this "destigmatising of mental illness". Psychiatry who think everyone is mentally ill and don't even know how to define it?

Our societies really need to wake the hell up and take part in what they want the definition of "mentally ill" to be and not just sleep walk into this dystopian nightmare wherby the government has a massive PR campaign running on things like IAPT and "destigmatising" mental illness.

Are we going to end up with a version of John Prescotts "we are all middle class now", that proclaims "we are all mentally ill now", wherby psychiatry sits by and claims to be the only ones who are of sound mind and capable of understanding things?

alktipping, Woolie, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  2. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Woolie, Barry, Jan and 11 others like this.
  4. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Barry, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  6. large donner

large donner Guest

Personally I think Rickey Gervais is the last of our worries and I don't want to see a twitter storm that brings in the whole world to turn it all into an even bigger joke and sidetracks the amazing work that was done yesterday.

A Twitter storm could take this off to a whole other direction like a "what about freedom of speech" angle or even worse. Also we will get trolled the hell out of.

Ricky Gervais is just a comedian who made an ill informed joke about disabled people because of people in the BPS crowd who ill informed the whole of society.

alktipping, Fernweh, Sean and 25 others like this.
  7. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think it can be useful for MPs who participated to have positive stories that they are trying to help constituents and if we create positive stories for them that helps reinforce their help.

8. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Well that could have gone both ways but fortunately I think it went our way. Interesting to see the longer clip - Gervais doesn't look as bad in the longer clip as he is made to look in Unrest - he says he knows it's a physiological disease and not psychosomatic.

Possibly, I don't pretend to know. My first idea was that he was too lazy to do his homework so just watched the film, and demanding an apology from Gervais was an easy way to be seen to be on our side without actually having to do anything. It nearly went horribly wrong (reading the tone of the Daily Star at the beginning of the article) but fortunately turned out well. If he knew what he was doing it was a pretty risky move to make on our behalf.

janice, alktipping, JemPD and 8 others like this.
  9. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree. There's nothing private between a Professor and an MP, unless they agreed on it being private or there's a contract.
    Probably Sharpe meant "I trusted CM to keep it private". Which is naïve.

alktipping, SallyC, Woolie and 10 others like this.
  11. large donner

large donner Guest

Ye, "I am going to insult you in a private correspondence but you are not allowed to tell anyone".

alktipping, Atle, Lucibee and 24 others like this.
  12. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I noticed that - and was very pleased - and surprised - to briefly see my own Tory (Conservative) MP from North Cornwall (Scott Mann) - ask a question. He had previously said - or asked someone else to say - that he wasn't allowed to participate in such things due to his position.

janice, alktipping, Woolie and 13 others like this.
  13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that he changed it after being contacted by patients. There was a blog somewhere that included a reply Gervais had written to the blog author. tbh, his reply probably made him seem worse, although it was good he took the time to respond. [My memory of it was that he just really didn't understand the issues at all, and seemed to start with a misguided assumption that as his intentions weren't bad, it must be okay, and anyone who disagreed must be misunderstanding his sophisticated humour & comic persona].

LOL

"... and then claim that you took my comment unfairly out of context, but act like it's some how noble of me to not release the e-mail showing the full context".

14. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That email is only private by Michael Sharpe's choice. If he wants to make it public, there's absolutely nothing stopping him.

alktipping, Woolie, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Woolie, MEMarge, Hutan and 13 others like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Statement from @The UK ME/CFS Biobank Facebook page.

17. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This was exactly my thought. I didn't say anything about him yesterday because I was afraid of stoking the fire.

I think the minister played this up intentionally to deflect attention as it would be more newsworthy, and seems to have worked.

Any thoughts on requesting anything from Rickey Gervais should be dismissed.
    Could so easily backfire spectacularly.

18. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ah yes, I remember doing the same with 'Jane Eyre' at school............the teacher commented that my answers to a test on what we were supposed to have read were very imaginative.

20. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I actually think it's a cheek to even raise the Ricky gervsais thing and say he should give us an apology, it's irrelevant. It's not HIM I want an apology from or action from and then the minister proceeded to mainly defend the [[appalling]] status quo whilst jarringly quoting unrest as if he "really understood". Jessica in Bed for her birthdays, which he tied into home education, was nothing to do with education, in fact I very much doubt in most of those years Jessica could do any home learning it was the waste of life caused by there being no treatment, caused by no research.

janice, alktipping, anniekim and 16 others like this.