UK 21 June 2018 | 3-hour ME debate in Westminster Hall, secured by Carol Monaghan

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sasha, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be honest, i'm not even offended by that joke.

alktipping, petrichor, Woolie and 7 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can think of a few who would be much, much higher on the list of people who should apologise, who have made more than one 'joke'/derisive remark at our expense.

janice, alktipping, Jan and 20 others like this.
  3. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

I think the minister was tbh the weakest player in the whole debate, though am v grateful for whatever positive changes he can bring to the process, of course. Carol was stupendously good as were all the other MPs.

janice, alktipping, Jan and 16 others like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought the Gervais bit was pretty shitty, and reflective of a lot of prejudices that were still being promoted by those within the UK Establishment, but there you go. I think less of Gervais for it, but he's far from our main problem.

janice, alktipping, Jan and 12 others like this.
  5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It sounds like Steve Brine was not up to speed with the facts but had an education in the feeling of suffering. All well but for a Debate facts are kind of the go to item to put forth a sound and unassailable argument. Talking feelings can have a use but belongs elsewhere.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    janice, alktipping, Jan and 6 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the more disappointing things for me was Brine Shrimp saying everything is going swimmingly because the MRC is talking to the CMRC, which is actually the MRC, which in this case is the CMRC, which is actually Stephen Holgate. What could be better? Something does not quite add up when no significant funding has resulted.

janice, alktipping, anniekim and 27 others like this.
  7. AR68

AR68 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gervais has always been a one trick pony. He has always chosen targets that he pretends are difficult but which, in reality, are easy; that's his 'shtick'. Same with Hopkins etc. He has plenty of critics that have pointed this out (despite praise for The Office). Completely understandable that the Daily Star picks up on the Gervais aspect as this is a celebrity obsessed culture and the Star, well, has never possessed the most serious of editorial lines.

He's never going to apologise. He doesn't have quite the street cred that he had so let him (as it were) dig his own grave.

A little bit of a sideshow. The science is, finally, winning.

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

nearly spat out my cuppa:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

alktipping, SallyC, Barry and 2 others like this.
  9. NelliePledge

he may be aware of facts but as a government minister it is form to toe the line,he may only recently have been briefed on the government line, however what he needs to be doing is making clear that the line is not acceptable and getting it changed

ETA assume that he went with Ricky Gervais as a way of deflecting attention because he knew the government line is weak

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think Steve Brine's speech will have been written for him by civil servants from the Department of Health to be as bland as possible and make sure they point out all the things the government can't do because it's someone else's responsibility (NICE, MRC, doctor education etc), and he's just allowed to add a 'personal touch' at the beginning and end.

11. NelliePledge

exactly this @Trish you can tell which are his own bits

janice, alktipping, Woolie and 3 others like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Gervais is small fry, and not worth pursuing. Though it is worth noting his words for the record.

13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I already linked to that here, thanks: https://www.s4me.info/threads/media-articles-on-westminster-debate-june-2018.4683/#post-84500

With all web pages you should just be able to select the address, then 'copy' it, and 'paste' it onto another webpage. The specifics of how you do that depend on the device. With a mouse you right click the address with your mouse, on a smart phone you normally just need to hold your finger down on the address for a bit of time for a menu to pop up. The forum software here will then convert any lengthy web address to a shorter link for people to click on.

14. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

adambeyoncelowe, Hutan, inox and 8 others like this.
  15. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Much as I find Gervais unfunny, and a man who frequently hides behind the standard gutless bully's 'it's just a joke' excuse to evade responsibility for his own words, it isn't Gervais who should apologising.

Brine is just deflecting outrage onto Gervais and away from him and his government. Don't fall for it.

Forget Gervais. It is Brine, and all UK governments going back to at least the Major government (IIRC), who should be apologising.

17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Personally, and this is just me musing, rather than an apology from a rather bland and unfunny "comedian" I'd rather have at least some of the following;

PIP - which I was robbed of by an assessor who was both woefully untrained and dishonest;
    SDP which I was robbed of as a consequence of being robbed of PIP
    My local council to have the money to be able to offer me care, and the trained people who know enough about my conditions to deliver it.
    My local council or housing associations to have enough money to have the property stocks so that I can have a ground floor property, a 3rd floor flat with no lift isn't exactly ideal.

Now can RG provide any of these, or influence people to do so, or is that more the preview of, say, a government minister.

ETA - you may have noticed that no treatment or cure was mentioned, I no longer have any faith in doctors, unsurprisingly, or research, I don't have any faith in MPs either but doctors haven't publicly said that it's all in hand, that the ill and disabled are being looked after, that care is provided to those who need it etc. MPs have, government ministers have, this week, so......

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  18. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't care about Ricky Gervaise or his joke; I've personally been subjected to worse and he's not important. It was a distraction tactic by the Minister.

19. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I agree, but by retweeting Robert's tweet, Gervais has bounced it straight back to Steven Brine, who is tagged in the message, and effectively endorsed the suggestion made by Robert that Brine should ask the Dept of Health and Social Care to apologise.
    No harm in having support from high profile people, even if just on social media.

20. NelliePledge

dont like what RG said and it was shocking in Unrest but it was a long time ago
    and actually Steve Brine if you piss into the wind and the wind is blowing in the wrong direction it gets blown back on you