UK - NICE guideline on Long Covid

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE Long Covid Guideline' started by Dx Revision Watch, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

There is a link to comments on comments and I think they basically dismiss the relationship with ME but I've only skimmed through very quickly

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng188/documents/supporting-documentation-2

They summarize comments as
    "Several stakeholders expressed concern that CFS/ME has not been mentioned. Although this is out of scope they commentedon similarities in symptoms and raisedconcerns that people will be considered as having post-COVID syndrome and not CFS/ME and may receive inappropriate treatment e.g. graded exercise therapy(see comment 15)"

Note the CFS/ME which indicates where they are coming from and in response they say:

"The panel discussed whether this should be added and considered that consideration of differential diagnoses was accounted for in recommendations in section 2 and 3 and nothing specific about ME/ CFS needed to be added to the guideline"

Hutan, Joh, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Critique of the guideline published in the Lancet, https://marlin-prod.literatumonline.com/pb-assets/Lancet/pdfs/S0140673620327057.pdf

They don't want to acknowledge the connections to ME though, while wanting many of the same things that we do.
    Authors, Robin Gorna, Nathalie MacDermott, Clare Rayner, Margaret O’Hara, Sophie Evans, Lisa Agyen, Will Nutland, Natalie Rogers, Claire Hastie

ETA: Added second quote.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Hutan, Robert 1973, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

4. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe they said Covid guideline committee, not the long-Covid panel.

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

It says it's the "List of expert advisory panel members", which may or may not mean that it is the full list of everyone involved.

Trish's tweet in the first post of this thread says

7. Gecko

They do also say:
    Still, I can't comprehend why it's fine to mention POTS in the guideline but ME is out of bounds.

Hutan, NelliePledge, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe more to do with who was on the Covid guideline committee?

rvallee, MEMarge, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Gecko

Ah yes good spot Andy.

Andy likes this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess there may be confusion about who is writing what document. Turner-Stokes and Wade have produced a document for the British Society of Rehabilitation Medicine on Long Covid - which may be why they were invited to comment of the ME/CFS draft.

11. Adrian

I suspect it reflects how the medical profession thinks of ME.

Hutan, Trish, Invisible Woman and 4 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

I am amazed that this appears in the Lancet (if it did). It seems to be a lay group who want to invent a new disease called Long Covid based on the same sort of phoney science we have seen so much of for ME. The call for including masses of symptoms in criteria is familiar and completely inappropriate. Criteria for diseases do not include all the possible manifestations. Why do they want tailored multidisciplinary care when nobody knows what to do other than rest? They even mention mast cell activation.

Why do we need a new disease when we already have one that fits the bill?
    Clearly to these people because ME is psychological.
    Hopefully sooner or later the Long Covid community will come to realise that it would be more sensible to join forces with people who have had this illness for forty years rather than try to invent a new one.

Hutan, Robert 1973, Joh and 16 others like this.
  13. Adrian

I wonder if there are a fair few with Long Covid from the medical community who have a strong belief that ME isn't real or is due to psychological weakness and hence don't want links to be made. An alternative view is that there are those pushing CBT/GET who realize they are discredited so see opportunities with Long Covid

14. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect the long covid community is in a way, making the bet that they'll be able to figure out the disease quicker without the taint of ME/CFS. The similarities are obvious and undeniable. Clearly at some level the long covid community is making a deliberate choice to keep some distance from ME/CFS.

Hutan, Joh, Gecko and 4 others like this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

Perhaps the problem for those with 'Long Covid' is that if they want attention they don't want to acknowledge that there are already (in the UK) about 150,000 people in the queue who have been waiting a while.

Robert 1973, Joh, TrixieStix and 9 others like this.
  16. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ironically the decision to distance themselves from ME/CFS could quickly turn out be disastrous. The BPS brigades are waiting with open arms to welcome long covid patients for holistic multidisciplinary biopsychosocial flexible rehabilitation. Meanwhile ME/CFS patients are slowly making progress and freeing themselves from the BPS influence.

17. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Those who made most noise about this initially did seem to have medical connections, unclear symptoms, and no, or no positive, test.

Invisible Woman, Hoopoe and Mithriel like this.
  18. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. They're right to bemoan the lack of patient inclusivity and the "misguided" treatment that some of them have received, but:
    It's even more unwise to disregard what is already known about a condition that commonly presents post-virally and has an extraordinarily high level of symptomatic overlap.
    Not only is the assumption that rehabilitation is not only of utility but "crucial" a harmful one, but individualisation is highly premature.

Also, I haven't been reading much long-COVID material, so I'm not sure if it's been addressed, but one of the authors' three mentioned theories (viral persistence) seems to me to be unlikely for three main reasons: firstly, because such persistence has not been observed with other coronaviruses, such as SARS-CoV-1 and MERS-CoV; secondly, because this is a global pandemic, there would be case reports from all across the world of reactivations/recrudescences; thirdly, because the detection of viral RNA by rtPCR does not definitively indicate the presence of infectious virus (merely of the persistence of genetic material). The second theory, autoimmunity, also seems of doubtful relevance in the majority of cases.

19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Invisible Woman and ladycatlover like this.
  20. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've found the #LongCovid people on Twitter have been very glad of help from the ME/CFS community and acknowledge that. I try and keep an eye on some of them and stay in touch. I'm very glad that some of them seem to be making improvement over time, some after 8 months. Mainly I try to remind them not to go too fast on the walking (step counts) and exercising. :rolleyes: I've only ever had thanks for the reminder. :)

It's M.E. Linda, Trish, Gecko and 4 others like this.