UK Parliament: ME/CFS Announcements: Statement by Health Secretary Sajid Javid, 12 May 2022

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, May 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

+1 :thumbsup:
    Getting it more openly discussed and debated, and on the record, is a critical step.

mango, bobbler, MSEsperanza and 9 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

mango, bobbler, MeSci and 13 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

4. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretty much what I was thinking.

I agree that a new Minister, who doesn't have a personal interest/care, is pretty likely to come along relatively soon. However, if the civil servants have e.g. been warned about issues re funding dodgy research then that lesson/memory may persist. Even if the next Minister is a return to normal/doesn't care they'll still not want to leave the informed part of the audience (Carol Monaghan MP +++) the opportunity to say "we're making the same mistakes --- has nothing been learned?". Civil servants will know that if the Minister is damaged by criticism then they'll be in trouble too!

As I'm typing this I'm a little concerned that a new PM means a new cabinet ---- new Minister for Health & Social Care!

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Information tweeted by the ME Association.

"Government’s commitment to ME/CFS starts to take shape Dr Charles Shepherd is now a member of the government's research strategy working group and the first meeting was held last week."

"Nicola Anson (MEA Trustee) will join the Attitudes & Education working group, and Russell Fleming (Communications Manager) will join the Living with ME/CFS working group."

More detail here, https://meassociation.org.uk/2022/06/governments-commitment-to-me-cfs-starts-to-take-shape/

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

7. Trish

Lots of Professors I know nothing about their role in ME, and why they were chosen. Can anyone enlighten us?

8. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

10. NelliePledge

11. NelliePledge

12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

13. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks ok i'm glad to see Chris Ponting there, Julia Newton's a bit of a loose cannon i'd have thought, not sure where she's at these days.

I just so so wish they would include @Jonathan Edwards though, I'm concerned things might go off in an unhelpful direction - eg taking all biomed research as wonderful and high quality.

adambeyoncelowe, MeSci, Sean and 2 others like this.
  14. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[​IMG]
    Contrast and compare:

Dr M C Sharpe MRCPsych Clinical Lecturer, Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford

Dr L C Archard PhD Senior Lecturer, Department of Biochemistry, Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School, London

Professor J E Banatvala MD Professor of Virology, Department of Virology, St Thomas' Hospital Medical School, London

Dr L K Borysiewicz FRCP Wellcome Trust Senior Lecturer, Department of Medicine, University of Cambridge

Professor A W Clare MD Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Trinity College, Dublin Dr A David MRCPsych MRC Training Fellow, Institute of Psychiatry, London

Professor R H T Edwards FRCP Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Liverpool

Dr K E H Hawton DM Consultant Psychiatrist, Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford

Professor H P Lambert MD Emeritus Professor of Microbial Disease, St George's Hospital Medical School, London

Dr R J M Lane MD Consultant Neurologist, Regional Neurosciences Centre, Charing Cross Hospital, London

Dr E MMcDonald MRCPsych Research Psychiatrist, Institute of Psychiatry, London

Professor J F Mowbray FRP Immunopathology, Department of Immunopathology, St Mary's Hospital Medical School, London

Dr D J Pearson FRCP Senior Lecturer, Department of Medicine, University of Manchester

Dr T E A Peto MRCP Consultant Physician, Department of Infectious Diseases, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford

Dr V R Preedy PhD Research Biochemist, Department of Biochemistry, King's College Hospital, London

Dr A P Smith PhD Research Psychologist, Department of Psychology, University of Sussex Dr D G Smith MB General Practitioner, Horndonon-the-Hill, Essex

Dr D J Taylor DPhil MRC Staff Scientist, MRC Biochemical and Clinical Magnetic Resonance Unit, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford

Dr D A J Tyrrell MD Director, MRC Common Cold Unit, Harvard Hospital, Salisbury

Dr S Wessely MRCPsych Wellcome Training Fellow in Epidemiology, Institute of Psychiatry, London

Dr P D White MRCPsych Senior Lecturer, Department of Psychological Medicine, St Bartholomew's Hospital, London

Other signatories who contributed to the guidelines but who were unable to attend the meeting

Professor P 0 Behan MD Professor of Neurology, Department of Neurology, University of Glasgow

Dr F Clifford Rose FRCP Director, Academic Unit of Neuroscience, Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School, London

Professor T J Peters FRCP Professor of Clinical Biochemistry, Department of Biochemistry, King's College Hospital, London

Dr P G Wallace MRCGP Head of Research Unit, Department of General Practice, St Mary's Hospital Medical School, London

Professor D A Warrell FRCP Professor of Tropical Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Nuffield Department of Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford

Dr D J M Wright MD Consultant Microbiologist, Department of Microbiology, Charing Cross Hospital,

Report of a consensus meeting held at Green College, Oxford 23 March 1990

Binkie4, adambeyoncelowe, Ali and 5 others like this.
  15. Trish

Sonya Chowdhury has posted on Twitter that this was a mistake. I should of course be MEA.

adambeyoncelowe and MeSci like this.
  16. Annie

Annie Established Member (Voting Rights)

17. Annie

Annie Established Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know who is in the PAG? . It seems to be very hard to find out.

18. Trish

adambeyoncelowe and Annie like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From the Patient Advisory Group application pack, available via https://meassociation.org.uk/2018/1...-cmrc-patient-advisory-group-16-october-2018/

"PAG members can choose to be anonymous and not have their name shared (in part or in full) on meeting minutes or other open-access documents. Any decision made regarding anonymity will be fully respected."

Given the criticism previously leveled at the CMRC (now MERC), I can totally understand why people taking part in the PAG might wish to keep their involvement anonymous.

adambeyoncelowe, CRG, Tia and 3 others like this.
  20. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The criticism levelled at the CMRC in the early years was justified. NICE '21 patient reps were named, NICE '07 patient reps were named. Who wants to be represented by anonymous patients?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.