1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom: News from BACME - British Association of Clinicians in ME/CFS

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Sly Saint, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My GP also says ME and in my experience those who don't say it don't understand it at all. It's really dismaying that it's getting worse, to now just being referred to as "chronic fatigue" by a lot of the younger doctors. I hope there is a strong education effort.

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

(Just thinking ahead, BAME isn't great as many would pronounce it 'barmy'.
    If they went for BAM, it would look great on the current front page of the website, especially with an exclamation mark, BAM!)

3. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be pronounced Bam! - 'eck! (heck)...

Cross posted with @Hutan!

Hutan and Ariel like this.
  4. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was thinking they couldn't use BAME - which would be the simple choice - due to its meaning as "Black, Asian & minority ethnic".

Invisible Woman, Amw66, Trish and 2 others like this.
  5. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or the British Association of Clinicians for ME/CFS (stays as BACME)?

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Clinicians are doctors, not therapists. The members of BACME seem to be mostly therapists (physio, OT, psych, CBT)

Ariel and Sean like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Therapists come under clinicians I think. Moreover, it would do no harm for BACME to include all clinicians.

Therapist organisations are pretty much by definition professional self-help groups. What is needed is an organisation that is centred around learning rather than meal ticket. In rheumatology we moved from the British Association for Rheumatology and Rehabilitation to the British Society for Rheumatology specifically to abolish a purely professional body and to make it a place for learning - for science in effect.

8. Trish

I stand corrected. The first definition I found said doctors, the next included all professionals who treat patients.

9. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's about a decade since any of my clinicians referred to it as anything other than CF. Thats every specialty - dermatology, neuro, gynae, GP, ANPs, nurses, all of em. It really gets up my nose, but when you try to correct they just give you a sneer or a withering look.

MEMarge, Wyva, Simbindi and 8 others like this.
  10. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What we need is a new NICE guideline to be developed and published ... why has no one thought of that I wonder ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead:

MEMarge, Wyva, Simbindi and 6 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Enough of those and you'd get a Norwegian guideline.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    :rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    :banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    :banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    :rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead:

MEMarge, Simbindi, Parsnip and 6 others like this.
  12. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. At least I did now it just seems the norm for me.

Due to my personal situation when I first got sick I had the "through the rabbit hole experience" of one day being my usual self and the next , by virtue of a few simple letter added to my medical records, discovering it meant I was viewed & treated as a completely different person.

First of all most of the health care professionals I met steadfastly refused to take me seriously and gave me the distinct impression I was an hysteric. Of course it's impossible to deny you're hysterical without sounding defensive and hysterical. Then I was presented with questionnaires with questions like -

Do you feel that no one understands you?

Yes - then you are obviously have some mental health issues and so we are right.

No - then you feel I understand you perfectly and therefore I am right and I think you have mental health problems.

Frankly, they made me doubt my own sanity. Then I copped on and realised that none of this was about me, it was all about someone else's agenda. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you and all that.

Edit - typos

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    V.R.T., MEMarge, Mia and 11 others like this.
  13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the formation of the CCRNC
    (CFS/ME Clinical and Research Network and Collaboration)"
    " it was the precursor to BACME"

(https://meassociation.org.uk/2010/0...ing-role-of-new-body-for-mecfs-professionals/).

https://me-pedia.org/wiki/BACME

(mepedia info is out of date)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    Hutan, Simbindi, Barry and 1 other person like this.
  14. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm probably misremembering, but I thought BACME was formed after the first English and Welsh clinics were funded in c.2005. It was basically all the founders of those clinics who came together to form BACME to represent their interests.

But a quick Google suggests it was formed in 2009 (Tuller) or that it was formed prior to 2007, since it was a stakeholder during the development of CG53.

So maybe someone else knows which story is true?

Simbindi, Invisible Woman and Trish like this.
  15. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://web.archive.org/web/20101211083628/http://www.bacme.info/aboutbacme/

MEMarge, Hutan, Simbindi and 4 others like this.
  16. Trish

Rigorous? That looks like a bad joke.

MEMarge, Amw66, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  17. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow. It's actually hard in most circumstances to miss 100% of your objectives.

But of course those are for show, the organization is a lobby group that exists to promote the interests of its members, nothing else. I don't think it can be reformed into anything useful.

18. CRG

I think this was in the first flush of enthusiasm - right before "austerity" came in with the new Government in 2010 and before everything in the NHS, that wasn't so before, was fractured into separate competing cantons by the 2012 Health & Social Care Act. In 2009 I think it was envisaged that there would be one stop shop clinics created around the UK which from the point of GP referral would do the whole bundle of assessment, diagnosis, treatment (such as that might have been !) occupational support etc.

I think it's important to remember that a lot of our (UK patients) current difficulties are part of a decade long decline in NHS ambition.

livinglighter and Simbindi like this.
  19. CRG

Whether it can be reformed or not I don't know. What I see is a group NHS professionals organising in a way that's appropriate to the development of a service that was being sought by their employer., career development is key part of that - why should to workers not organise to have (from their perspective) better services, better training and better careers.

If there is to be any improvement in the way the NHS deals with ME/CFS, there has to be some common understanding about the needs and expectations of staff who will be providing services. There isn't suddenly going to appear a whole new group of super ME/CFS friendly doctors, nurses and therapists and having good relationships between bodies representing staff and ME/CFS patient advocates will be a necessity in bringing about any change that we might want.

livinglighter, Sean and Simbindi like this.
  20. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. The change to Clinical Commissioning Groups across the country increased the already existing 'postcode lottery' in the availability of treatments and funding of many conditions, not just ME. Most of the public still do not understand what has happened in the NHS and why there is such a variation from area to area.

https://www.nhscc.org/ccgs/

livinglighter likes this.