United Kingdom: Science Media Centre (including Fiona Fox)

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Esther12, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We have had YUPPIEs
    And NIMBYs
    And DINKYs

I propose the TOWDGIs

The ones who don't get it.

An interesting byproduct of something like Fox's book is how it flushes out the TOWDGIs
    I guess Dorothy Bishop has played that role before in this story.

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just scrolling through the transcript, this bit on debate seemed relevant:

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Royal Institution are holding an event promoting it

Tue, 7 June 2022

19:00 – 20:30 BST

https://www.rigb.org/whats-on/beyond-hype-inside-story-sciences-biggest-media-controversies

and she's been interviewed a lot about it
    eg podcast
    https://cosmicshambles.com/bookshambles/fiona-fox

more reviews here
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60317725-beyond-the-hype

eta:
    blog book review
    http://deevybee.blogspot.com/2022/04/book-review-fiona-fox-beyond-hype.html

4. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fiona Fox's greatest talent is manipulation and spinning a beguiling yarn. Depressing how many otherwise intelligent people are so enchanted by her stories they forget how to separate fact from fiction.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I bought the book on kindle and have read the chapter on ME. It's as bad as I expected, indeed if anything worse, because by claiming great sympathy with pwME and at the same time supporting uncritically everything Wessely et al have told her, she make pwME seem terrible and undeserving of the dedicated work of these wonderful clinicians. I'm spitting mad about this stuff still being published in the name of supporting science and I'm seriously pissed off with people who should know better who have provided quotes in praise of the book.

I have written an Amazon review, and in case they decide not to post it, here's a copy:

Yann04, Kalliope, Ali and 38 others like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anybody think that a formal complaint should be made to the board of the SMC about that headline for the ME chapter. It seems unprofessional and liable to bring the organisation into disrepute? There is no way that the SMC could now pretend to be holding a proper impartial line. I know that she has been subject to provocations. That is no excuse. The organisation cannot now be taken seriously.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Yes, I was wondering who the board of trustees were.

8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its so demoralising, i just thought we were getting somewhere & now we have to put up with yet more lies & manipulation. When will we be free of this poisonous crap.

Its the way it gets lapped up in such a credulous manner that makes me nauseated

10. Jonathan Edwards

The trustees of SMC seem to be a rather faceless group of communicator people. I am not sure that they would know what to do in response to a complaint other than find some way to support Fox.

On the other hand the group of advisers, apart from a load of journalists, includes two notable biomedical scientists.

Prof Eleanor Riley was part of the London School of Hygiene NIH CureME group until she moved to Edinburgh in about 2016 (which of course includes both Luis Nacul and Caroline Kingdon, who were on the NICE committee). She was in charge of the 'search' process looking for advice on high quality research for MRC to fund that contributed to DecodeME being funded. She has a high reputation in immunology and is I think a member of Council at MRC.

Prof Russell Viner is an eminent paediatrician based at Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, who has been President of RCPCH. He may be particularly likely to be offended by references to Nazism.

If people thought this was a good idea then maybe we should send a formal message to the advisory committee.

11. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When it comes to ideas marketing is agnostic toward the truth. It doesn't enter into it.

And it's easy to include the underdog view of ME into the climate change/vaccine/covid denier camp.

But a realistic parsing of the ME situation is more akin to big tobacco denying cancer and emphysema are related to smoking. Or the protracted resistance from science to the idea that medics hand-washing saves lives.

With regards to BPS and ME it is the appeal to authority and not science that has won out most often.

12. Jonathan Edwards

The advisory committee consists of:

Ian Brunskill
    Associate Editor, The Times and The Sunday Times

Prof Eleanor Riley
    Professor of Immunology and Infectious Disease, The University of Edinburgh

Shaun Lintern
    Health Editor, The Sunday Times

Rebecca Morelle
    Science Editor, BBC News

Christine McGourty
    Chief Executive, Water UK, and former BBC Science Correspondent

Mark Sudbury
    Head, World 100 Reputation Network, and former Director of Communications at UCL

Prof Russell Viner
    Professor of Adolescent Health, UCL Great Ormond St. Institute of Child Health

Dr Jennie Evans
    Director of External Affairs, British Society for Immunology

Will Moy
    Chief Executive Officer, Full Fact

Jane Kirby
    Health and Science Editor, PA Media

Dr Ruth McKernan
    Venture Partner, SV Health Managers LLP

13. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Let them know that was Fox is saying is inaccurate. The "harassment" turned out to be freedom of information requests, and the death threats seem very likely grossly exaggerated or entirely made up (I suspect most of them are made up), and even if they happened, they are being used to attack sick people via guilt by association. It's grossly unethical.

The "patients vs scientists" was really a conflict between two different groups, one which had access to the media and used this to attack the other because they could not win in a scientific debate. And the NIH, IOM, NICE, UK health secretary, Dutch Health Council all have taken the biomedical side now (the CRMC too but not sure if they have any standing?). It really is absurd to present this as misguided patients vs caring scientists.

Another absurdity is this fantasy of a silent majority that loves CBT/GET. Where is the evidence? I've never seen anything but extremely marginal support for CBT/GET among patients. The NICE guideline that BANNED CBT/GET received 25000 signatures (I think) in support. There were no signals of support from the patient community.

Fox is creating some sort of alternative reality contradicted by the facts. Whether she is doing this intentionally or is a victim of disinformation handed to her I don't know.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

How can she be a victim of disinformation she is supposed to be a media expert yet has swallowed one perspective and failed to fully research the whole picture.

15. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes it's also serious journalistic failure to get facts so wrong.

16. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's pretty staggering that the Trustees and Advisory Committee seem to be there only to give credibility to the loose cannon dissembler FF, who appears to have them all on a string.

Who is actually in charge of the SMC?

There is no accountability there.

It's a one woman show.

Peter Trewhitt, MEMarge, Sean and 3 others like this.
  17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Excellent review on Amazon @Trish

Ali, Lisa108, Peter Trewhitt and 13 others like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

Another interesting aspect of this is what we now know about bias at SMC.

In the past we have seen what appear to be biased choices of experts commenting on ME/CFS matters. Nonetheless, proving that there was bias was always tricky.

Now we know there was bias. The lady in charge has made it clear that she is evangelically biased in favour of the BPS researchers. So biased that she has to let off steam in a book and even compare the other side to Nazis.

Ali, FMMM1, Peter Trewhitt and 22 others like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Can anyone explain to me how Amazon works? On Amazon.co.uk the only review visible is mine at one star, yet it says 75% of reviews are 5 star. On Amazon.com there are no reviews but it still gets five stars. I cannot see a review from Trish.:(

20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I can only see yours too. When I submitted mine the message came up that they had received it but it might not appear for several days. I assume the 5 star reviews are from people who submitted just a rating, not a review.