USA Centers for Disease Control (CDC) news (including ME/CFS Stakeholder Engagement and Communication Calls)

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Sasha, Oct 24, 2017.

1. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or if your immune system is fooled, e.g., antigenic variation.

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.
  2. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thats interesting. Thanks for sharing. Not knowing the background of your conversation @Dakota15 did you receive this reply as a helpful pointer and thoughtful engagement on how sick people can help themselves by begging the correct bodies, or a shirking of his own bodies responsibilities?

Medfeb, Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As disappointing an answer as it might be, I maintain that pharmaceuticals have a huge interest in being involved, and not in the future, now. This is an illness that anyone can develop at any age, is obviously treatable, given that spontaneous recoveries happen, and is not about to go away, as long as infectious diseases exist this will be around. Which may as well be as long as people exist in our natural bodies. And this is just as true of ME/CFS as it is of dysautonomia, POTS, IBS, and the host of other problems we see in Long Covid.

It already has tens of millions of sufferers, and likely millions of new clients per year, who will develop a short-term form of the illness and recover from it. There is a business in line for people who don't want to be ill for weeks, let alone months, especially when there is no way of predicting any individual course, if they could be in the unlucky ones who don't recover. Most people suffering from this for 2 weeks will want it, and insurers will cover it if it means getting people functioning again.

Speaking of: https://www.modernatx.com/en-US/media-center/all-media/blogs/long-covid-awareness-day-2024.

It's a bit iffy, it cites a "study" for the graph below, but really is a Statistics Canada survey (still valid, but not a study):

Still, any pharmaceutical executive looking at the business potential here who doesn't see it isn't worth a damn. It's probably more of a question of waiting for the basic science to have a better grasp on possible treatments, but this is a gold mine. The NIH can definitely do more to encourage this, though. But I wouldn't be surprised if this is where a solution comes from.

4. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No. In most cases, it is not.

Milo, Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.
  5. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm still analyzing that reply and guidance, to be honest.

Also for those curious, I believe this is the ALS platform trial that Nath is referencing to mimic with ME.

Ash, Peter Trewhitt, Comet and 2 others like this.
  6. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So triggering. Glad I did not watch. In fact I prefer to disappear for the whole awareness month.

MEMarge, Hutan, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  7. rvallee

Treatable doesn't mean we know how to treat it, it just means that it can be treated, there is nothing permanently lost or unfixable here.

People recover after years of illness. It's rare, but it is possible to treat it. Knowing how is a different issue, but we are not stuck like some diseases where even finding what's wrong changes nothing, because it cannot be affected.

Then again, over time there will be plenty of untreatable diseases that will become treatable, but that's still a different issue.

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Potentially treatable

MEMarge, rvallee and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not untreatable.

Untreatable adj. (of a patient, disease, or other condition) for whom or which no medical care is available or possible.​

rvallee, Trish, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  10. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The main idea seems to be to test multiple drugs in the same trial/set-up.

Hutan, Dakota15 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  11. ME/CFS Skeptic

At the end of the NIH conference about the intramural study Nath said the following:

Time: 5:31:25
    "The problem is now is that if you were to now study one compound after another, I think we would be here for… I think it would take us a century or longer to be able to go through this list. Our lifespans are short and mine is shorter than a lot of you. So what we need to do is come up with other innovative ways of being able to do trials.

One way is to do what is called platform studies. A platform study is one in which you can study multiple drugs simultaneously and compare it to a single placebo arm. Let’s say you have 5 arms in that study, and you have once placebo, that means a patient’s chance of getting a placebo becomes 1 out of 6. That’s an advantage to them. And you can compare and contrast these multiple drugs all at the same time. That’s impossible to do at a single site. So you’re going to need multiple sites in order to do these kinds of studies. But that is one way to be able to get to a quicker answer.

Another way is to do crossover studies. That means patients are put on a single drug – they could be on multiple drugs too in multiple arms - but then they have an opportunity, after they finished one arm, to move on to the next arm. So that way, every person who was on placebo has an opportunity to move on to one of these other arms. So there are these cross-over designs that also can be very informative."

Last edited: May 10, 2024
    Joh, MEMarge, Peter Trewhitt and 11 others like this.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the CDCs weekly email bulletin which I imagine has a healthy number of readers:

13. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The CDC's informational webpage about ME/CFS seems to be rewritten or at least restructured. I don't know to what extent it has been edited and how much new material has been added (or old stuff changed). At a click glance, a lot has remained the same in essence but again, I haven't checked it all as it is a lot. I remember there was a section about severe ME/CFS that I can't find right now but that may be simply due to the restructuring and it may still be there, I don't know. What I have definitely spotted as a new addition is this part for example from the "Causes" chapter: "In addition, people have reported ME/CFS-like illness following the COVID-19 infections, called Long COVID."

In addition, if you used the CDC as a source/reference online, the link may be dead now, so you may need to update it (they are definitely dead on my website, so I'll need to go over these now).

Edit: Covid also has been added to this list of infectious triggers in the section for healthcare providers:

"ME/CFS-like illness has been described following infections with a wide variety of diseases. These include:

• Epstein-Barr
    • Ross River
    • Coxiella burnetti (the cause of Q fever)
    • Herpesviruses
    • Enterovirus
    • Rubella
    • Candida albicans
    • Bornaviruses
    • Mycoplasma
    • Retroviruses, and
    • SARS-CoV-2 (the cause of COVID-19)"

Last edited: May 16, 2024
  14. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. rvallee

Wessely-biomarker-rehabilitation.jpg

wessely-me-fake-illness-7.jpg

16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This meeting took place in 2021 so probably not of interest to many people but I don't recall seeing this information before (but I could be wrong).

Summary of Third Roundtable Meeting on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)
    October 12 and 14, 2021*
    https://stacks.cdc.gov/view/cdc/156082

Attendees for 3rd ME/CFS Roundtable Meeting and Stakeholder Call
    https://stacks.cdc.gov/view/cdc/156078

Sean, Trish, Deanne NZ and 1 other person like this.
  17. ME/CFS Skeptic

Sean, MEMarge, Dolphin and 1 other person like this.
  18. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

19. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member