USA Centers for Disease Control (CDC) news (including ME/CFS Stakeholder Engagement and Communication Calls)

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Sasha, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This notice is now upon the CDC website here: https://www.cdc.gov/me-cfs/programs/meetings.html

Peter Trewhitt, Sean, Trish and 2 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

3. Dolphin

ahimsa, Comet, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

it's on now

SNT Gatchaman and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Dolphin

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    Comet, Hutan, Deanne NZ and 1 other person like this.
  6. Hutan

Elizabeth Unger read the update Dolphin posted above in post #303. There's a lot there, it's worth a read. I get the impression that the CDC and Elizabeth Unger personally is making an effort.

A transcript of the whole call will be posted. Next up Walitt and Nath.

ahimsa, Sean, Comet and 6 others like this.
  7. Hutan

Walitt is still going over a whole lot of history of ME/CFS and various post-infectious illnesses. Nothing very objectionable, but, if we wanted a history of ME/CFS, we wouldn't go to Walitt. It is one way to minimise discussion of the NIH ME/CFS study.

ahimsa, Milo, Sean and 9 others like this.
  8. Hutan

Dr Nath is now discussing the symptoms of Long Covid. He's talking about the Long Covid study. So far he is not discussing the NIH ME/CFS study. He's talking about other studies suggesting neuroinflammation after Covid-19 and damage to the BBB.

Suggestion that there is a problem switching from IgG to IgM.
    Mention of anti-idiotypic antibodies

ahimsa, Nellie, Sean and 6 others like this.
  9. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How do you define a reactivated infection?

Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  10. Hutan

Cognitive therapy for brain fog. 'Functional disorders' appeared on slide.
    Suggestion that women have B cell activation and men have T cell activation
    There was a list of mainly immunological drugs that might be useful.
    There is a Long Covid IgG/IgM crossover trial

Nath has finished. Virtually no mention of the NIH ME/CFS study. Thanks to the people who worked on the brain histology work. Seems very weird.

11. duncan

Surprise.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  12. Hutan

Questions:
    Effort preference playing an important role in other disorders such as MS and Parkinsons- Walitt. Yes, it does. Further studies will bring more understanding

How can NINDS get more funding for treatment trials. Nath. He doesn't manage funding so he can't really answer. Federal agencies don't really have the funding; pharmaceutical companies are the ones who can do this.

Muscle findings - Nath. Innate immunity may be affecting muscles. Nath is most focused on trials. Hwang is looking at muscles.

13. duncan

Shameful.

Milo, Amw66, alktipping and 1 other person like this.
  14. Hutan

Walitt - on the order of the parts of the diagram. 'It was an hypothesis generating programme - the diagram seems to be the most compelling story.'

Komaroff concludes that it is a brain disease caused by immune activation. Nath agrees. Paper shows huge amounts of immune dysfunction. (not sure with it's lack of power that it showed that much really)

fMRI and the application of a preconceived idea - Walitt. They did not expect to find the TPJ finding. Yes, samples sizes are small, fact that they saw such a large result makes it worthy of note. Worth looking at in a larger cohort. Did not comment on the questioner's assertion that there are other interpretations.

Lilas, shak8, Sean and 5 others like this.
  15. Hutan

EBV in salivary glands - Walitt. Moving forward with a tissue procurement protocol to look for antigens, and investigate the EBV persistence idea.

Other inflammatory drugs - Nath. Sure, just need to trial them in a clinical trial.

Nath - No evidence that there are transmissible viruses. So antivirals won't help. There may be viral remnants.

Question about air pollution, could a viral illness just be an initiator. Unger - clear that the environment does interact with the infection, as does the host stress status. Nath agrees. It is possible that there are other pathways to the same outcome. Or not. Walitt - they just can't do everything. Hope that their findings will be useful to other groups.

Do you think that ANS retraining can help with ME/CFS? Walitt - does believe ANS/neuromuscular training , change how we respond to the environment, can be helpful. Mentions Levine system - sympathetic retraining. Visualisation, guided breathing. Breath training (book - Breath). Not sure that a particular method has been shown to be better than others, people should just choose something that works for them.

How to educate health care providers? Unger mentions some resources.

The video and transcript will be posted.

Lilas, shak8, Sean and 3 others like this.
  16. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also he specifically did not address the questioner's point about multiple other areas including the contralateral TPJ.

RedFox, Lilas, shak8 and 5 others like this.
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the notes, Hutan. I watched it too but rather inattentively. I was shocked to hear at the end Walitt recommending brain training even though he admits there's no research evidence.

ahimsa, RedFox, Lilas and 12 others like this.
  18. Hutan

Yeah, that was my question, and it was more coherent than the administrator managed to make it sound. I had a couple of other questions in that did not get answered.

All up, it was underwhelming and frustrating. There was no accountability to the ME/CFS community. Turns out the NIH ME/CFS study was a damp squib and it seems that the NIH is moving swiftly on, almost as if it did not happen.

Joh, RedFox, shak8 and 8 others like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure why you would want to 'switch from IgG to IgM'. IgG does much better job. And you don't switch as such. You may produce new IgM if your IgG is inadequate.

shak8, Nellie, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  20. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sharing Nath's reply to my question:

Question:

"Dr. Nath, last week you recommended the need for a platform trial where multiple drugs can be studied simultaneously as a next step. Is any funding currently in place to pursue this aspiration? If not, how can NINDS encourage and solicit grant applications on this proposed plan to help make this a reality? What are the next steps needed to accomplish this goal?"

From Nath:

“Platform trials is the way to go. A number of diseases are already looking into it. One of the diseases I study is ALS. There is an ongoing platform study in ALS. One can learn from that experience. So, Merit Cudkowicz at Harvard is the PI on that. It’s a multi-centered study. I think for platform studies you need large sample sizes, so you’re going to need multiple sites to enroll patients.

They are very expensive. Pharmaceutical companies really fund these things. Federal agencies don’t have that a kind of bandwidth. Most of the funding for clinical trials really come from pharmaceutical companies because they have the deep pockets to do these things, their budget is 10x that of NIH or more. I think what you need, is probably some kind of advisory committee that can go and design these things, try to raise funds from pharmaceutical companies to conduct these studies and learn from the ALS platform study. That is what I would suggest.”

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1787575166605672822