1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wesselys Mental Health review could also replace Mental Capacity Act

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Mar 20, 2018.

1. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

None of them medical though. SW could well run rings around them.

obeat and Trish like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is to be hoped that the House of Lords Appointments Commission is aware of the problems. One wonders how they go about their business. Probably the views of the Plebs will not count for much.

3. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Modernising the Mental Health Act – final report from the independent review
    Independent report - gov.uk. 6 Dec 2018
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-act-final-report-from-the-independent-review

Government commits to reform the Mental Health Act
    News story - gov.uk. 6 Dec 2018
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-commits-to-reform-the-mental-health-act

ladycatlover and Invisible Woman like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Ugh first item on BBC news at one report by James Gallagher with his mate Simon.

Had to switch over when Lord W popped up. Before that they were highlighted a woman with an eating disorder who had been sectioned over a number of years sedated force fed. Don’t know if anything will actually change but supposedly patients rights will be strengthened.

5. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I caught that too. Put me off my lunch. Sadly I also caught Simon on BBC Breakfast which rather spoiled my early morning tea in bed. I expect he'll be on the other news this evening too, might try Channel 4 instead.

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.c...ew-falls-significantly-short-on-human-rights/

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I tried C4 too but he popped up on there as well :sick:

ladycatlover and Invisible Woman like this.
  8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

the review appeared to be backing away from the need for fundamental reform of the act.

I don't seem to be able to find my surprised face.

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Am I being mistaken that Wessely also lead the last review, which by all accounts has lead to a massive unsustainable crisis? So they put the guy who caused the problem in charge of fixing the problem he helped create?

Or did he lead an earlier version?

But I'm not sure what people can expect here. Anything Wessely does will make the problem worse, which as far as I can imagine from the last decade of austerity politics in the UK is probably the whole point. He is exactly the worst person for the job, as his ideological beliefs are the problem, by overloading mental health services with medical patients, which degrades the delivery of all services in every way.

Invisible Woman and Snowdrop like this.
  10. large donner

large donner Guest

Basically the outcome of the review is that people have the right to a say in their care and police should stop locking up black people in jail for suffering from schizophrenia.

Did this really need expert review?

Nothing will change except Wessely will receive more notoriety and probably get a feature in the Guardian showing him in his study wearing chinos, with rolled up sleeves on his shirt and books in the background.

11. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You are indeed mistaken. The last review was led by Professor Genevra Richardson. The 1983 MHA was reviewed in 1998-1999, which led to a Green Paper in 2000 and the full amended act (after many further revisions) arose in 2007. Here is the Kings Fund briefing on the 2007 MHA [pdf].

It is always going to tricky dealing with any legislation which involves temporarily taking away rights and freedoms from members of the public, but it's also important to keep a distinction between the MHA and the Mental Capacity Act, which although it seems similar, actually deals with a different set of issues - namely the provision of care when someone is incapacitated and unable to provide their consent for something other than the thing that incapacitated them in the first place (if that makes sense).

12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

rvallee and Invisible Woman like this.
  16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Theresa May’s mental health act reform: Warm words but scant action

full article:
    https://davidhencke.com/2018/12/29/...ealth-act-reform-warm-words-but-scant-action/

ladycatlover, EzzieD, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  17. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hardly surprising, given that Wessely's behaviour always comes across as that of a highly ambitious political animal first and foremost, with everything else secondary to that. I doubt people reach such politically influential positions unless those in power are confident they are highly motivated to toe the required political line; in this case is far more about saving money whilst dressing it up to sound altruistic.

18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Wessely is above all else a political animal. Indeed, that is all he is.

Patients have never been more than expendable cannon fodder for his fantasies and ego. He doesn't give a flying fuck about us. He has never delivered on what he promised or claimed, and never will. He has delivered nothing more than a pseudo-scientific, pseudo-compassionate excuse for the powerful to kick the people down the bottom even harder.

And for that he is lavishly rewarded with money, prestige, power, and apparently endless immunity from accountability.

But in the end just a glib hollow man, with a head stuffed full of himself.

Inara, rvallee, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  19. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The review itself might be good and needed but it was galling to see wessely able to be involved in such a thing, to great acclaim and praise , solidifying him further as untouchable in the establishment and medical profession and almost adding savior status on working on behalf of the vulnerable. We, who know his history, influence and slithery behaviour in other fields view him entirely differently. There’s been all the commendable talk of putting patients at the heart and listening to them etc, since when did he do that in CFS ?
    It’s also a bit ironic that a psychiatrist who through half his career chose to work outside mental health essentially in CFS and GWS should have risen so high in psychiatry,...

20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's just missing a dimension. Political influence usually means someone with political power exerted influence on the process to achieve an outcome over someone who would have done things differently.

Wessely has his own political agenda, which exerts command on his own largely political work. It just happens to be largely the same as the austerity politics pursued by May's government.

Technically there is no need for political influence if interests align, predate and are internal to the person doing the work. This is obviously why he was the right choice.

Amw66 and Barry like this.