1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wesselys Mental Health review could also replace Mental Capacity Act

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's always a mistake for me to try and pretend I know what I'm talking about. ;)

2. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So this trend is also an UK issue. Very alarming indeed. Especially in light that UN human rights comission's reports say these practices violate humans' rights, and that forced treatment is viewed as torture.

Edit: There was a "researchers'" report in Germany which may lead to the government changing a law so that only professional keepers are allowed when it comes to incapacitation, which would make it impossible to be safe from forced hospitalization.

3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder whether Sir Simon will decide whether it is necessary or advisable for a psychiatrist to examine a patient before writing a report which might lead to enforced detention.

4. Inara

To create fear? Makes it easier to rule. Who doesn't behave "conformly" - however it is defined at the time - will be removed/punished.

5. Inara

Or not to examine - at the moment you still have to agree to being examined. If you say nothing a diagnosis cannot be made.
    But who knows? Maybe some day we'll have "The witch-wood-test" reloaded: If you talk to the psychiatrist you'll be taken due to a "psychological disorder", and if you don't you'll also be taken, e.g. due to un-cooperative behavior. :D

6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reminds me of what Karina Hansens dad said (in Unrest) that he didn't dare kick up a fuss about them taking his daughter as they would then say 'you see we were right he is a very angry man' and possibly lock him up as well. It's a no win situation and very wrong.

7. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a rising worldwide issue everyone should be alarmed about. There are already terms for these things, like "oppositional defiance disorder" etc.
    Taken in context with the "new" global policing, which includes that you can and will be arrested for nothing more than not following an officer's orders, or resisting arrest, no matter how unjust or unreasonable....well we are witnessing the rapid rise of very dangerous "state" control.

This needs to be addressed by all people, healthy or ill, as it affects all of us. Our innate agency over the sovereign territory of our bodies and minds is at risk--and this is not crazy conspiracy talk, it is happening as we speak, and is very worrying.

8. Inara

I hope more people would have the courage to understand that and call for action and not dismiss the on-goings as "conspiracy theory" or "it won't affect me, so why should I care", and then go on as always.

9. Inara

This shall lead to me asking whether there is an interest in court processes regarding human rights etc. and ME. E.g. this could be a crowdfunding project, or an ME organization could participate etc.
    I was pointed to the lawyer who defended Mollath (see here: https://www.strate.net/de/dokumentation/index.html); he's, among others, a human rights lawyer.

I have already contacted another well-known lawyer, but he doesn't have the ressources.

As someone else said: It's not only about ME - it's about us all - but ME shows it all.

10. Inara

So we already have the witch-wood-test...

Maybe, indeed, our time will go into history as "modern middle ages" and they will speak about psychiatry like about the Inquisition.

:(

11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We had a brief experiment with trying to create an age of reason. It failed. Right now things appear to be going backwards, though we have entirely new myths, based not on gods but on ideologies. Psychogenic psychiatry, even when disguised by bipsers, is a throwback to older times. One of those is the Inquistion, as typified by the Hammer of Witches.

There is a path through BPS that is scientific, but while allusions are made to this they rarely go there.

12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Demarcation dispute. That is my job. :p

Always seemed to me that psychiatry is built upon the assumption that the psychiatrist has a grand sweeping insight into and understanding of the entire human experience and condition, into reality, that no other profession or group of humans has.

How else could they make judgements about people's sanity (i.e their connection to reality)?

Obviously the assumption is batshit insane. Not that it gives them any pause for thought.

Any wonder the profession attracts megalomaniacs by the carload?

Woolie, Tia, adambeyoncelowe and 11 others like this.
  15. chrisb

Having recently been rereading the Ean Proctor case, one feature that stands out is the need for a strict formal proceduralrequirement as to examination and interview by all certifying practitioners. This should involve certification of alternative diagnoses considered and recording of representations regarding other medical opinion.

Breach of any formality should give rise to a claim for compensation without necessity of showing negligence.

16. Inara

I have just found that "chronic querolous personality" is an official psychiatric diagnosis. Well, if it wasn't clear before what's going on...

Amw66, Sean, Arnie Pye and 6 others like this.
  17. chrisb

Fair cop, gov. I'll come quietly.

18. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would have qualified for that diagnosis a few years ago, I suspect. I cured the problem by going gluten-free.

19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Improving Mental Health Outcomes: Integrating, Coordinating and Transforming Services

Wed Apr 25 2018 at 08:30 am to 04:15 pm
    The Bridgewater Hall, Lower Mosley Street, Manchester, United Kingdom

With an extra £1.3bn to be invested annually in mental health services by 2021 England is seeing the biggest expansion of mental healthcare in Europe. Alongside the welcome funding an independent review of mental health provision has been launched. Led by Professor Sir Simon Wessely the review will explore how the NHS and other public services deal with people suffering mental health problems with a view to updating the law."

"A report from the Care Quality Commission has highlighted that available inpatient psychiatric beds have dropped by four per cent since 2014. The commission has warned that thousands of mental health patients who should be rehabilitated are being kept in secure wards for years on end. The report found that high-risk patients, such as those with eating disorders, were suffering severe delays in receiving care. It was also revealed that 6,000 mental health patients had to be sent out of their local area to receive care, a shocking 40 per cent rise in two years."

https://allevents.in/manchester/imp...g-and-transforming-services/1000039318250947#

the bolding is mine; showing that this review is not just looking at the issue of detention under the MHA but seems to be expanding its remit. Again I wish they would look at where/how the money is currently being spent/misspent .........IAPT for example(?)

20. Inara

I have also found today that a German law that makes "hospitalization" into psychiatry possible goes back to Nov 1933. (In fact, there are still many laws today that go back to Nazi Germany.)

Invisible Woman likes this.