Who is Simon Wessely?

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Nov 13, 2017.

1. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, 100% spot-on as regards all three points. At the time, I didn't know who 'Simon Wessely' was, so I didn't know he was a psychiatrist. I did think it strange that the patient was being referred to see a psychiatrist in our unit, it made no sense to me since ME was/is a biomedical illness. And yes, why ME would be referred to as a 'special interest group' rather than patients with a disabling disease.

Oni, tornandfrayed, Sean and 10 others like this.
  2. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'Special interest group' is very striking isn't it? Says a lot.

tornandfrayed, Simbindi, Sean and 9 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm more appalled by the dripping condescension and lack of professionalism, but it probably underlies the rest.

tornandfrayed, Simbindi, Tia and 8 others like this.
  4. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, I thought that.
    Maybe is the rudest ‘professional’ to professional letter I’ve ever read.

Simbindi, Tia, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  5. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Having worked for the NHS for 15 years, I saw plenty of equally rude/unprofessional correspondence during that time - including ones to me or about me! It's common behaviour in the NHS, sadly... (Or was, when I worked for them. Not sure if things have improved since then, but I somehow doubt it.)

6. Ash

Oh my…
    Well it’s no wonder we’re in trouble is it?
    Sort of fills in some gaps in my understanding on why Drs so readily throw one another in front of the first on coming bus for the sin of getting sick. It probably comes from working in such a dysfunctional industry. Makes one mean.

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah it's hard to imagine it doesn't at least factor in significantly in attitudes towards patients. That and all the bullying. It could even be the main factor holding the discipline back, especially with the later focus on a holistic that is lacking in basic humanity, and psychology that doesn't bother understanding people, about as likely to work out as engineering without solid mathematical foundations.

8. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gulf war syndrome is the Achilles heel.
    It may all start unravelling ....

https://twitter.com/user/status/1753310660367413738

@WesselyS discounts the vaccines as cause due to 'Detailed' reports on shots. We found these reports to be 100% unreliable.
    Not the same vaccines
    Not the same intervals &
    Not on humans
    31 Nations NOT subjected to experimental regime = 2400% less sick.

There have been payouts to those who were vaccinated but not deployed who developed autoimmune type illnesses , though it took legal action in some cases.
    Given the research elsewhere on this , it's the potential time bomb that ME/CFS isn't.

9. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ariel, tornandfrayed, Sean and 7 others like this.
  10. Ash

Medical Ethics. Well this is what it takes. One must keep one’s hand in, fend off threats to one’s professional good standing and lasting legacy. What could be a more efficient use of one’s time in such a respect other than appointing one’s self to the position of or accepting the role of narrator on the topic of what should constitute medical ethics, and the ways in which these aught to be applied or where they might best be considered irrelevant.

Edited: Oxford, it felt right.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    MEMarge, RedFox, Lou B Lou and 11 others like this.
  11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

There are over 50 replies to that tweet, and not a single one is positive about Wessely.
    There's no reaction from the Institute of Medical Ethics of course.
    It's incredible how impervious Wessely and his reputation is to the legitimate criticism from the many people he has harmed.

MEMarge, Holinger, Binkie4 and 16 others like this.
  12. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is one of those things where criticism gets ignored until it reaches critical mass. It's relatively easy for people to ignore 50 critical tweets. It becomes less easy the bigger in number the criticisms become. It is still a pretty small group that's on to his wrongdoings. I don't know if he's gonna remain relevant enough to have his wrongdoings exposed to so many people that the criticism becomes impossible to ignore. If there's any justice he's gonna be held accountable for the things he's done, but I can also imagine a world where we finally get treatments and for most of us he becomes an afterthought.

JemPD, tornandfrayed, Sean and 6 others like this.
  13. Ash

Could you screenshot some of the replies for record keeping purposes and so we can read them here?

MEMarge, Ariel, JemPD and 6 others like this.
  14. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Targeting the comments that have more likes, and not copying the ones that are just a brief expression of disbelief and outrage and observations of the irony, apologies to those whose comments I didn't copy, selection was a bit random, especially as I got tireder:

Strange choice for your organisation, since 65 deaf and disabled people’s organisations, campaigns and mental health professionals objected to SW’s appointment: https://inclusionlondon.org.uk/campaigns-and-policy/act-now/letter-prime-minister-reconsider-appointment-professor-simon-wessely/ Also: http://margaretwilliams.me/2013/wessely-right-or-wrong_28oct2013.pdf Also: https://margaretwilliams.me/2014/wessely-right-or-wrong-update.pdf Also: https://stonebird.co.uk/The%20Cost%20of%20Collusion.doc - #ME

Is he speaking about medical ethics? Did anyone ask him about the time he got a disabled boy removed from his parents. https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Ean_Proctor

It is a real lesson in the realities of medical ethics when power and influence allow Wessely to build his whole career on harming the vulnerable and the then be considered a keynote speaker at a medical ethics conference. The eminent need not bother being ethical.

I recommend IME students read the following & now book a guest speaker from the M.E community,
    @davidtuller1
    for example. https://margaretwilliams.me/1994/the-views-of-dr-simon-wessely-on-me-scientific-misconduct.pdf

Perhaps it’s on the basis of these are the mistakes I have made and how you can avoid them? We live in hope. #Gulfwarsyndrome #ME

You invited him as an example of what absolutely not to do, right?

The principles of medical ethics are defined as: Autonomy – respect for the patient's right to self-determination. Beneficence – the duty to 'do good' Non-Maleficence – the duty to 'not do bad' Justice – to treat all people equally and equitably.' The irony of this is astounding.

@IMEstudents
    i hope you’re reading these comments

Medical ethics and ME in the same sentence with Simon Wessley, disgusting! This man has harmed thousands of patients and stymied biomedical research into ME for decades.

Medical ethics https://scottishlegal.com/articles/david-j-black-cherchez-la-shrink It seems odd that a psychiatrist once described in a Times interview “the most hated doctor in Britain” should suddenly become the most all-powerful doctor in that very same benighted realm.."
    "It is only human for doctors to view the public as foolish, uncomprehending, hysterical or malingering"

Simon Wessely the embodiment of self serving patriarchal arrogance and misogyny. So many titles and accolades so much harm.

Wessely, ethics? The guy who psychologised Gulf War Syndrome (proven nerve damage from Sarin), said Camelford water poisonings were 'hysteria' (actually aluminium sulphate in water supply) & used debunked 'evidence' from PACE to abuse #pwME for decades? That Wessely?
    @IMEstudents

Wessely has caused so much harm yet still people ignore it all and wish to listen to him. A lesson for all young people to learn. People in power can do what they like and they will get away with it. Hopefully they will grow up and learn.

People with ME listening to Wessely talk about medical ethics:
    [GIF - Hello darkness, my old friend]

Wessely expresses some remorse for "getting some things wrong" on his work into "CFS", yet the harm he and others caused continues to effect 250k+ in the UK and 17 million+ worldwide. All he has to do is denounce and retract the #pacetrial. #donoharm

Was he doing that funny skit where he whips out a photo of a seriously ill patient wearing layers in May so all the crowd can laugh at her? Man that was my all time favourite medically ethical joke ever.

Ethics... Let's discuss PACE Research, his work in M.E... used as an example of 'How not to do research' in Uni. Also Camelford Water Disaster look it up, look up what he said it was Vs reality. Also: 9/11 illnesses, GWS, Schoolgirl Poisonings. [GIF- laughing uproariously]

Hilarious. Looking forward to your 'Pol Pot on Health Care' lecture series.

Is this The Onion?

He thinks individuals with covid were making up symptoms and were just anxious https://medscape.com/viewarticle/new-evidence-suggests-long-covid-could-be-brain-injury-2024a10002v0?ecd=soc_fb_240212_mscpedt_news_mdscp_longcovid&form=fpf
    @IMEstudents
    are you aware of this? I cannot imagine a more unethical behavior. Perhaps you are still on time to inform the attendees and emit a statement?
    copied tweet: "In 2011Wessely ran an MSM campaign with the BBC & Ts successfully vilifying #pwME who had justifiably criticised his research In his case the marginalisation of #pwME was not *unintentional' it was active &
    deliberate" H Reid

This man has harmed ME patients for decades. He’s the reason we rot in bed with zero treatments.

He has inflicted harm on patients and been a barrier to proper biomedical research and treatments for #mecfs for decades, leaving patients to rot in their beds and his presence should be nowhere near this event.

With foreword by Paula Vennells. In 10years time you will realise how incredibly dumb this decision was. This man has a career gaslighting and abusing some of the sickest people on the planet

May Wesley and whomever follows his repugnant suit be haunted by the anguish and agony of ME patients for the rest of his days. I so wish med students of today were getting a better more ethical education rather than more of the same establishment upholding dark ages material

This is all wrong Time to listen to the millions of #ME #LongCovid #ChronicIllness sufferers worldwide rather than this one discredited individual with far too much power He should have been struck off decades ago Sickening to see
    @davidtuller1

MEMarge, Binkie4, Ariel and 15 others like this.
  15. Ash

Thanks @Hutan. My apologies for draining your battery. God that’s a lot.

MEMarge, Binkie4, Ariel and 7 others like this.
  16. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some of us will not live that long (long enough to benefit from treatments which are not yet provided). Yet we are so aware of the many times in our sick lives in which Wessely's influence made out lives unlivable and unbearable. Some of us have not, and will never, recover from the damaging repercussions of that man's influence.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
    MEMarge, Binkie4, V.R.T. and 19 others like this.
  17. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m pleasantly surprised to read how polite most of the replies are (all critical). Xitter can be such a cesspit of abuse on all subjects, it’s ironic and encouraging so see how polite and restrained most people are in their criticism of someone who has compounded the suffering of so many.

I could have asked a hundred ethical questions but here are my responses to date:

18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Wessely & Co – the psychosomatic club – are among the most protected of all human species I have ever seen.

Even the highest levels of medical scientific authority the world over appear to have no real control over them. They have become a law entirely unto themselves.

They have not only evaded answering to all their serious and blatant failures, they are endlessly rewarded for it.

Somebody is protecting these guys big time, and it has been going on for decades.

Oni, Mithriel, MEMarge and 16 others like this.
  19. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which adds —

cfsandmore, Binkie4, Ariel and 15 others like this.
  20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Well done Robert and others. One of the rare moments I slightly regret not still being on Twitter.
    Are there any replies defending Wessely?

cfsandmore, MEMarge, Binkie4 and 13 others like this.