Who is Simon Wessely?

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

another one that needs updating/re-writing; @Russell Fleming

2. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"The Society of Occupational Medicine ---"
    EDIT following Trish's comment below - thanks Trish ---
    Maybe the elements in the Society of Occupational Medicine who believe in CBT & GET want to honour the deity that is Wessley. Worrying i.e. there's no evidence that s--t works, yet these "professionals" want to honour unevidenced interventions? Hopefully they'll be held to account in tribunals etc. and discover the error in their ways.

Wessley really is something --- lauded all the way to the Lords --- yet the only objective evidence is that his theories don't work --! Sad.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

No, that's occupational therapy which is about enabling daily living.
    Occupational medicine is about health in the workplace.

bobbler, alktipping, Barry and 5 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Ash, bobbler, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

tornandfrayed, Ash, Amw66 and 8 others like this.
  6. Trish

Back to the subject of SW being given honorary membership of the Society of Occupational Medicine, and tweeters objecting being blocked, there's an article by Long Covid Advocacy:

Quote:
    Dear Society of Occupational Medicine, will you listen to people with M.E. and Long Covid?
    Concern at the mass blocking by SOM...
    We are hosting writer Kirstie Sivapalan this week who wrote an inspiring open letter to the Society of Occupational Medicine.

Patients with M.E. and Long Covid were blocked by the twitter account @SOMCEO for their valid concern regarding the awarding of honorary membership to Sir Simon Wessely. A controversial figure in the medical world.

Suppressing important patient testimony is not in the interest of common dialogue or medical discourse. We are concerned at the level of influence Wessely exerted in this act of institutional epistemic harm. Were SOM Wesslied?
    [...]

In response a small team of people came together to work on an open letter written by Kirstie Sivapalan. If you want add your voice you can add your name to our open letter through this form or…

More at link.

Ash, Jacob Richter, Hutan and 14 others like this.
  7. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Signed it. Was gonna go on an expletive-ridden rant, but I think everyone here knows who Simon Wessely is.

Ash, Hutan, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  8. Trish

Ash, EzzieD, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

John Pring from Disability News Service is asking on Twitter,
    "Many of you will know of the notorious 'Malingering and illness deception’ conference held in Woodstock, near Oxford, in November 2001, which was funded by DWP. Does anyone know the name of the hotel where the conference took place?"

Ash, EzzieD, Lou B Lou and 5 others like this.
  10. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know but I had a quick look, and searching for conference centres in Woodstock brought up Blenheim Palace.
    I'm not 100% sure but looking at some photos it looks like a possible match, the columns, steps, windows door paving etc...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1677659314004144128

hinterland, MEMarge, Ash and 8 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

for info purposes
    there's a youtube video (Maxwhd)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVdJfJdKB5A

and

Don't think I've seen this before but a book also resulted from the meeting

Malingering and illness
    deception

https://disabilityclaimssolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Lo-Casio-Malingering-articles.pdf

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    tornandfrayed, MEMarge, Ash and 6 others like this.
  12. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the music running through the video is somewhat incongruous some kind of horror theme would be more appropriate considering the harm done with malice against a great many people .

13. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd say it is time to reform Simon Wessely.

But wasn't Wessely involved in the current act? It seems like he's been involved for so long, and he got a lot of what he wanted. Including stuff like IAPT, which is just as disastrous. So it looks to me like a politician who did a reform, then presents himself as a reformist... from his own failed reforms.

It's precisely the biopsychosocial model and how it was misapplied, the way he wants it, that is disastrous. And that's his whole thing.

bobbler, tornandfrayed, Ash and 3 others like this.
  15. Adam pwme

Does anyone know where I can find early pictures of Wessely ideally a headshot from 1989 and 2002. This is the only one that I can find probably from the 90s I think.

[​IMG]

Ash and MEMarge like this.
  16. Sly Saint

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt, Arvo and 2 others like this.
  17. Sly Saint

don't think this video has been posted

Integrating mental and physical healthcare | Professor Sir Simon Wessely

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2023
    tornandfrayed, Ash, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  18. Adam pwme

Ash, alktipping, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  19. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We're currently having a clear-out and packing in readiness for a house move, and among a bunch of old papers I found this copy of a letter from back when I was working at a psych unit in the 1990s. At that time, I didn't yet know who Wessely was, I just found it interesting because it was about ME/CFS which I'd recently had and recovered from (temporarily, as it later turned out). Back then I tended to keep copies of the rare occasions I came across ME mentioned in print.

It's a horrifying time capsule of how, in that day, Wessely was considered 'acknowledged UK expert on chronic fatigue syndrome' and 'clinically by far the best person to deal with this specific special interest group'. We are in a small town away from the thick of things, so it shows that his influence spread far and wide even that long ago.

View attachment 20663

Attached Files:

Oni, tornandfrayed, Barry and 16 others like this.
  20. Trish

Three things strike me about that letter, @EzzieD.
    First, the suggestion that someone with CFS should be referred to a psychiatrist. Second that Wessely is considered the national expert. Third that people with CFS are described as a 'special interest group', not as sick people.

Oni, tornandfrayed, Barry and 14 others like this.