Who was it that said being in support groups leads to poor outcome?

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by JaimeS, Jul 24, 2018.

1. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As the above response suggests that the quotation may have a wider significance it is probably best for the paragraph to be quoted in full, since the original is not widely available and I would not wish to be accused of unreasonable selective quoting.

"The link between physical activity and well-being has been studied extensively. Hughes et al (1984) found a correlation between fatigue and physical inactivity independent of physical health and fitness, whilst Stephens (1988) concluded that the positive correlation between physical activity, better mental health and lower levels of anxiety and depression (and hence fatigue) occurred independently of physical health status. In an eight-year follow-up study of nearly 200 healthy adults it was shown that lack of activity was independently associated with a two-fold increase in the risk of depressive illness (Farmer et al 1988). Looking at coping strategies, Montgomery,(1983) studied fatigue in a student population. He found significant differences in response to the question "when tired, what do you typically do?". For tired subjects the sensations of fatigue serve as stimulus to reduce their level of activity, acting as a cue to slow down or stop, whilst non-tired subjects tend to ignore similar sensation. Finally, in pain patients' rest is a potent reinforcer of both symptoms and disability (Keefe and Gil, 1986). Inactivity can, and does, cause fatigue. Nevertheless, with the occasional exception (Edwards, 1986; Dobkin,1989), patients with PVFS are usually told from a variety of sources that lack of activity is invariably and permanently a consequence of fatigue. Such advice may be both inaccurate and counterproductive, and may serve to perpetuate the very disability that it is intended to minimise.

………....Any suggestion that the explanations advanced in this chapter seek to blame the patient for his or her predicament are without foundation."

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for that quote, @chrisb. It does illustrate why context for quotes is important. It demonstrates in this case that Wessely was falling into the trap of assuming that observations made on physically healthy people about the effects of fatigue can be applied to pwME.

I think it illustrates just how damaging the name CFS has been for us. He completely misses the point that pwME do not have physiologically healthy 'fatigue', we have something physiologically wrong that produces abnormal muscle fatiguability and prolonged recovery. This makes his attempt to extrapolate from healthy people to pwME scientific nonsense and dangerous.

3. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's the "invariably and permanently" bit he is objecting to here. But one of those sources is his own. See this figure on the VERY NEXT PAGE:

Wessely_fig3.jpg
    What does fatigue lead to?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  4. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Based on this logic it seems like you could cure just about any disease, or at least all of the symptoms, with exercise and CBT. Effective medications are valuable only insofar as they are more convenient.

Luther Blissett, Sean, Inara and 2 others like this.
  5. Lucibee

While we're on Wessely's chapter, I'll note down a few things that stood out (sorry, this is a bit long!).

First was the link with depression/mood disorder:
    There are lots of assumptions in there.

The next bit was on blame (my explanations, taken from preceding paragraph, in square brackets):
    There is no doubt in my mind that he sees this as a psychological disorder that has been triggered by an infection (circumstantially), but that the blame lies squarely with the patient (and maybe their doctor).

The next paragraph triggered me to write "wtf?" in the margin (I think I quoted it earlier):
    Next section on Cognitions goes further:
    Further on, he starts polarising:
    This quote comes from a CIBA Foundation symposium discussion in 1988.

I'll continue in another post - the next section deals with the phrase "all in the mind".

6. Lucibee

Un-%^&*-believable! Note that they never say, "we are not saying that it is 'all in the mind'" as they have more recently tried to say - although usually in the context of rejecting cartesian dualism.

He does however say,
    But dotted throughout this chapter and others (I'll try to track them down) is the implication that PVFS is neither a proper chronic medical condition nor even a proper psychiatric one. Third-class disorder. [I am aware that this may be only my perception - but if I take that implication away, I know others will have done the same.]

Next: Treatment offer
    This is the worst analogy I have seen, and shows a stark lack of understanding of why knowledge of the causative agent, and the potential biochemical pathways affected, might be useful. A better analogy would be that your car has broken down, but you are unable to tell the mechanic what is wrong. They will have to work it out for themselves. If someone went to their doctor having drunk an unknown poisonous liquid, it would be essential for the doctor to find out what that liquid was before they could act. If a surgeon is removing a kidney, it is essential for him/her to be told which one to remove.

It is clear that they have decided that even if PVFS was triggered by a viral infection, that that infection plays no further part in perpetuation of the condition, and that all perpetuating factors must therefore be psychological.

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for finding those quotes, @Lucibee. I read them with horrified fascination.
    That's my conclusion too. They say it's not a psychiatric illness, it's not a physical illness, it's something different that is both real but not real. It's kind of surprising they don't just come out with it and use the word 'psychosomatic' which is hovering between the lines in everything he writes.
    Your term 'third class disorder' is sadly very apt.

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

adambeyoncelowe, Inara, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  9. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There has been a somewhat unexpected development in the matter, discussed earlier in the thread, of Greenberg's suggestion that "patients' illness behaviour is likely to be perpetuated by adhering strictly to the advice given by the powerful self-help group, the "ME Society", which advocates total rest". I said that I had never heard of such an organisation and set out what appeared to be Dr David Smith's view of exercise, which most certainly did not include total rest, and which was effectively "pacing".

Thanks to an observation by @NelliePledge on another thread it seems that the ME Association is also registered under the name the ME Society. It therefore seems entirely possible that Greenberg was referring to the MEA, although it is odd that he would have known of this name, when members did not. If my memory on this is incorrect, it seems that so is that of @Mithriel who appears to be in agreement that total rest was never part of the general advice. I suppose the possibility cannot be discounted that members raised the question from time to time, as members will, or that it was advised as a short term expedient or necessity at the acute stage.

I suppose the answer to Greenberg is that there must have been many thousands of us who did not pursue a policy of total rest, whether or not advocated by the MEA or ME Society, but who are nevertheless ill. It is difficult to understand this apparent mischaracterisation of the situation.

MEMarge, Amw66, Art Vandelay and 8 others like this.
  10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quite right. A lack of specificity of an association means it is likely not to be causitive. I mean you can't blame total resting, continuing to do the same amount, and everything in between as a specific prognostic factor.

11. Lucibee

I now have a copy of Ciba Foundation Symposium 173 for a short while...

MEMarge, ukxmrv, Inara and 4 others like this.
  12. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Psychiatry doesn't have a negative stigma due to nothing. There are almost 200 years of history. This is not restricted to a subgroup of ME/CFS patients (not all reject Psychiatry). Psychiatry is well aware of this fact, that's why they're constantly choosing new names and words that they know sound nicer and more acceptable. So they keep to their manipulative manner.

13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why is it t
    Yes. New bottles, same snake oil.

14. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

History of PVFS, BME and CFS in ICD:

https://dxrevisionwatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/icd_code-cdc-march-2001.pdf

A Summary of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Its Classification in the International Classification of Diseases

Prepared by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics, Office of the Center Director, Data Policy and Standards, CDC archive document, March 2001.

This document provides a summary of the classification of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in the International Classification of Diseases, ninth and tenth revisions, and their clinical modifications.

Inara, adambeyoncelowe and Wonko like this.
  15. Dx Revision Watch

The WHO did not classify Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis under the Diseases of the nervous system chapter [Edited for clarification: in the Tabular List] until the release of ICD-10. ICD-10 was endorsed in May 1990.

Page 2 of:

A Summary of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Its Classification in the International Classification of Diseases

Prepared by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics, Office of the Center Director, Data Policy and Standards, CDC archive document, March 2001.

"ICD-10 WHO published ICD-10 in 1992 and included many modifications, among them relocation of some diagnoses to different chapters within the classification. WHO created a new category G93, Other disorders of brain, in Chapter VI, Diseases of the Nervous System, and created a new code G93.3, Postviral fatigue syndrome, a condition which was previously in the symptom chapter of ICD-9. WHO also moved benign myalgic encephalomyelitis to the new code G93.3. The alphabetic index contains other terms, such as chronic fatigue syndrome, that WHO considers synonymous or clinically similar."

The ME Association was founded in 1976.

Action for M.E. was founded in 1987 and originally known as "The M.E. Action Campaign". The name was changed to "Action for M.E." in 1993.

So when ICD-9 was being revised for ICD-10, both The MEA and the organization later known as "Action for M.E." were in existence.

When ICD-10 was in development, this would not have been undertaken as a public process, as ICD-11 has (to an extent) been. Also, the ICD-10 online browser is a relatively new entity. Prior to the online browser for viewing the ICD-10 Tabular List, stakeholders would have needed access to a print edition of the Tabular List. (Likewise the ICD Alphabetical Index, which is still not made available, online, by the WHO.)

So there would not have been the degree of public stakeholder awareness, interest in and participation in the revision of ICD-9 to ICD-10, as there has been for the revision of ICD-10 for ICD-11.

I did not become involved in ME advocacy until 2002, at which point, ICD-10 had been in use in the UK since 1994 and I don't know what, if any, involvement either the MEA or what was then known as "The M.E. Action Campaign" had in relation to the development of ICD-10 or what involvement any U.S. or other international ME orgs might have had in its development. And for the U.S., they continued to use ICD-9-CM up until October 2015.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  16. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Dx Revision Watch - but I was sure I had seen 1969 quoted, and I had

A simple google ("myalgic encephalomyelitis who 1969") found this as the first result

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23480562

ME.pedia also states 1969
    https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Myalgic_encephalomyelitis

ETA

Wikipedia states it was introduced in ICD-8
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_chronic_fatigue_syndrome#ICD-8

and the reference [52] is given as
    I have no idea what is correct, I am merely explaining why I thought 1969 when you are saying decades later.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Inara and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  17. Dx Revision Watch

BME was not classified in the Tabular List until ICD-10 (1990).

CFS was not classified in the ICD-10 Tabular List. It is included only as an Index term, in ICD-10, and remains an Index term for ICD-10:

CDC document:

https://dxrevisionwatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/icd_code-cdc-march-2001.pdf

"ICD-9 The International Classification of Diseases, ninth revision (ICD-9), was published by the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1975. WHO did not make revisions to the classification between major updates, which usually occurred every ten years. The term “chronic fatigue syndrome” did not have a specific code in ICD-9 nor did the term appear in the alphabetic index of ICD-9. The only entry in the alphabetic index of the ICD-9 was “Syndrome, fatigue” and referenced code 300.5, Neurasthenia, a condition classified in Chapter V, Mental disorders. The term “benign myalgic encephalomyelitis” appears in the alphabetic index and references code 323.9, Encephalitis of unspecified cause. The code 323.9 did not include reference to postviral syndrome. The term “postviral syndrome” was classified to code 780.7, Malaise and fatigue, in Chapter 16, Symptoms, signs and ill-defined conditions. It should be noted that while many terms are listed in the alphabetic index, all of the terms may not appear in the tabular list of the classification. This is a standard convention of the ICD.

"ICD-10 WHO published ICD-10 in 1992 and included many modifications, among them relocation of some diagnoses to different chapters within the classification. WHO created a new category G93, Other disorders of brain, in Chapter VI, Diseases of the Nervous System, and created a new code G93.3, Postviral fatigue syndrome, a condition which was previously in the symptom chapter of ICD-9. WHO also moved benign myalgic encephalomyelitis to the new code G93.3. The alphabetic index contains other terms, such as chronic fatigue syndrome, that WHO considers synonymous or clinically similar."

"ICD-9-CM For morbidity data the United States uses the International Classification of Diseases, ninth revision, clinical modification (ICD-9-CM), a clinical modification of ICD-9. ICD-9-CM has been used in the United States since 1979 and has an annual update process that has been in place since 1985. The update process begins with the convening of the public forum, ICD-9-CM Coordination and Maintenance Committee. Proposals to modify the classification are presented and discussed during these public meetings. Information about future meetings of the ICD-9-CM Coordination and Maintenance Committee may be found on the NCHS website at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/otheract/icd9/maint/maint.htm.

"In 1990, a recommendation to create a specific code for chronic fatigue syndrome was presented. At that time, there was no consensus about the etiology of the syndrome, which is needed to accurately classify a condition in the ICD. A new code could not be created because of this problem; however, a modification to the alphabetic index was made to direct users of the classification to code 780.7, Malaise and fatigue. This is the same code used to identify cases of postviral syndrome. This change became effective October 1, 1991. In 1998, subcategory 780.7 was expanded to include new five-digit codes. The new codes created included code 780.71, Chronic fatigue syndrome. The placement of this condition in this category was consistent with the WHO version of ICD-9 and with its placement within ICD-9-CM."

Inara and Wonko like this.
  18. Dx Revision Watch

From the Prof Hooper document:

"Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) has been classified in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) as a neurological disorder since 1969, when it was include in ICD-8 at Volume I: code 323: page 158 and in Volume II (the Code Index) on page 173. (ICD-8 was approved in 1965 and published in 1969)."

However, code 323 in the ICD-8 Volume 1: Tabular List was:

323 Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis

not Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis.

You'll need to pull up the cached version.

http://moira.meccahosting.com/~a000849d/DefintionsPages/DefinitionsArticles/Hoopersdescription.pdf

The Terminology of ME & CFS

By

Professor Malcolm Hooper

(...)

"Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) has been classified in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) as a neurological disorder since 1969, when it was included in ICD-8 at Volume I: code 323: page 158 and in Volume II (the Code Index) on page 173. (ICD-8 was approved in 1965 and published in 1969).

Prior to 1969, the term benign myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) did not appear in the ICD, but non-specific states of chronic fatigue were classified with neurasthenia under Mental and Behavioural Disorders.

Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) was included in ICD-9 (1975) and is listed in Volume II on page 182.

The term "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" was not introduced by Holmes et al until 1988 and therefore did not appear in the ICD until 1992*, when it was listed as an alternative term for benign myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). Another alternative term listed is Post-Viral Fatigue Syndrome."

-----------------------------------------

*Ed: In the ICD-10 Index.

You will see references on Wikipedia to CFS having been added to ICD-9. But also discussion on the Talk Page, that this was for the U.S. adaptation of ICD-9 (ie, not added to the WHO's unmodified ICD-9.)

Inara, Sly Saint and Sarah like this.
  19. Dx Revision Watch

Can anyone show me a listing for Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis or Myalgic encephalomyelitis in the WHO's unmodified ICD-8, either Tabular List or Index, that isn't:

323 Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis

and that is not a Wikipedia reference or MEpedia referencing Wikpedia?

Note the Wikpedia reference is

International Classification of Diseases. I. World Health Organization. 1969. pp. 158, (vol 2, pp. 173).

which does not pull up a copy of ICD-8 where the listing can actually be viewed.

I doubt whether MEpedia has been able to access a copy of the unmodified ICD-8 to check the Wikipedia reference.

Inara and Wonko like this.
  20. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Dx Revision Watch

I am not saying you are wrong, I was merely explaining why I posted 1969 in my post you quoted, in that every source I have seen, other than what you have posted today, says 1969 for ME WHO neurological, including the BMJ. For all I know they are ALL using the same source which could well be, and seems as if it may be, wrong.

Inara likes this.