Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

— mods, please feel free to move if this post is in the wrong thread —

Is there any tally of reactions to the 2nd Pfizer dose? Scuttlebut and also the nurse who administered it say to expect a greater reaction to the 2nd shot. I had the 1st one on Friday and so far, I don’t feel much worse than the round trip to the administering site and slog though its block-long hallways would have done on their own. I did have a greater reaction with this one than to any other vx (I get zero from most others). I suspect this is by design.

So I’m now thinking that the first may be enough, as it seems to prevent severe cases by itself. Of course, I don’t want to catch the bug and possibly get post-viral syndrome after a moderate run-in with the virus. Brain fog and language imprecision are a problem right now, so I won’t make any decisions until that at least partly clears.

2. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Still haven’t had vaccine. Was promised I’ll get a date and time “this morning”. Then when my mum called, promised I’d get a date and time “in a few hours”. So now a complaint has been sent off to the CCG and to NHS England. Thought might as well try both due to covid delays. Wrote urgent in the subject line. My mum rang the CCG and they said yes they’ll try to investigate it since it’s urgent.

Sarah94, Amw66, MeSci and 1 other person like this.
  3. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's a Facebook group where people with ME/CFS share their experiences with the vaccines. It may be a bit hard to follow but I've been a member since almost the beginning and my impression is that indeed the second dose of Pfizer tends to give you a greater reaction. Here is the group if others are interested in following it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/226441995768222
    There are some weird posts here and there but the admins try to keep it scientific.

Also, there was a poll on Health Rising a couple of weeks ago and I think the results were similar there too.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Sarah94 and Daisymay like this.
  4. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Especially important as you need to go into hospital for surgery and are clinically extremely vulnerable!

JaneL, Sarah94, Wits_End and 5 others like this.
  5. lunarainbows

Got this on Dr IQ:
    So now it’s a “home visit team”? Who they can’t “get through to”? Where is this team based, that they can’t get through to them despite telling me since Friday I’ll have a date? It was supposed to be a GP at the practice itself last week, or early this week who was going to vaccinate me.

MeSci, JemPD, Amw66 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought I'd posted a link to something saying that there seem to be more-marked reactions to the second Pfizer dose and to the first AstraZeneca one, but can't find it now, unless it's in the CDC link in #306.

7. lunarainbows

Sent this in to Dr IQ:

“Please make a home visit appt with a GP for this week. I have sent in a formal complaint to the CCG and to NHS England, as of yesterday, about your practice’s handling of vaccination for housebound patients. Please be aware all housebound patients in groups 1-6 are meant to have been vaccinated by the end of this week, and as a clinically extremely vulnerable person, I should have been vaccinated a month ago.

Are you aware I’ve been trying to get a home visit for a vaccine for 1 and a half months? I need to know what is going on and why it is that a GP seems unable to make a simple home visit to have me vaccinated, for 1 and a half months now. I need a home visit appointment, from the GP, this week. You’re now telling me about a home visit team that you’re unable to get hold of. That’s not what I asked for. I want a GP visit, which any GP is more than capable of doing, and I want a date and time *today*. The GP practice is putting me at serious risk.”

10 mins later my mum got a call saying a GP is coming to do a home visit for vaccination for me and my mum, today between 9.30 and 3.30pm.

Joh, ScottTriGuy, Wits_End and 13 others like this.
  8. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Brilliant, great job Luna.

Yessica, Kitty, Simbindi and 5 others like this.
  9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

You’re having a positive week @lunarainbows due to all the excellent work you’ve been doing on advocating for your needs. Virtual pat on the back and hug from me :thumbup::hug:

Sean, Wits_End, Yessica and 10 others like this.
  10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope to get the Johnson & Johnson one time jab in the future.

Perrier, Yessica, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  11. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just got an email from my municipality offering me vaccine :nailbiting: I think it's because I'm registered as a home healthcare user? There was no additional info, so I have sent them an email with a lot of questions (which vaccine/make, when, home visit or not, did they consult with my doctor and take into consideration that I developed a severe chronic illness after a vaccination, do they guarantee two doses, what's the planned schedule, etc).

Here in Sweden you are not allowed to choose which make. You might not even get to know which one you are getting until you arrive at the vaccination site on the day.

At the moment I have no idea whether to accept the offer immediately, or not. I guess it all depends on what answers they give.

I'm still in a bad relapse, I don't even have the required brain power to process this...

ETA: Pretty cool that I got the offer exactly 365 days after my self-isolation started! I've spent the whole year completely alone, since that day (a hospital visit, which is the reason for my current relapse).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Helene, Ukmum, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You can’t compare efficacy rates of different COVID-19 vaccines because they’re taken from different clinical trials in different places at different times. That's what the experts are saying.

Perrier likes this.
  14. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good 4U!
    Here is the USA I have no idea how to go about getting a home visit. There may be such a procedure, but if so it’s far from obvious. I’m still a bit hesitant about the 2nd shot - bc the total of the trip, some walking/standing, and the shot may cause a decline.

MeSci and Yessica like this.
  15. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Presumably they are given to 'people' tho, and measurements can be taken as to how many of those people get ill or die - which as far as I know are the only things needed to work out how effective a vaccine is.

Only real variable is the vaccine.

If they start making it so that people have to be from equivalent cultures, neighbourhoods, jobs then you;d need a different rate depending on whether or not someone had cornflakes or porridge for breakfast - there is a reason why only some things are considered relevant - it's specifically to make things compatible _ as it to allow comparisons.

Sisyphus likes this.
  16. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems that when a patient (me) doesn't respond to a GP email within a week, current practice is to send round 2 large instances of plod, and a tiny amount/package of GP.

So I had plod here, who TBF did disappear fairly rapidly once they determined I wasn't rotting above a certain threshold.

and a GP, who was here for around an hour, and I still havent had a vaccination.

it should be noticed that I was not dressed (just pyjamas), and was not 'presentable'.

For an hour.

All I now know is that someone, who will not call, or let me know when in any way, let alone an acceptable one (which calling is not, unless they have previously notified me when the call will occur, and received agreement), will be here on a weekday, between 9 and 4, before the end of March.

This is not 'ideal'.

As it means that I will have to have the door buzzer on, and be on standby, presumably between now and when it happens.

Just like a delivery with a 3 week window, with no tracking at all.

Chezboo, Daisybell, shak8 and 10 others like this.
  18. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course you can, it's called meta-analysis and it's common.

Michelle, FMMM1, JaneL and 1 other person like this.
  19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean, Snow Leopard and JaneL like this.
  20. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

JaneL, Dolphin and Trish like this.