Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Michelle, Invisible Woman and Kitty like this.
  3. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yessica, Michelle, JemPD and 4 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I only got mine because I contacted my GP surgery myself who then contacted the 'vaccination team'.
    As I told them that I was unable to get to either of the sites offered by myself, they both suggested I contact a local cab firm who were according to them operating a free
    'cab for jabs' scheme. I wasn't keen on the idea but rang them only to find that they 'had run out of funding' so it was no longer a free service.

MEMarge, Yessica, JemPD and 7 others like this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Invisible Woman likes this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are also offering free rides in my city, but I'm unsure if they wait to take us back home. I don't want to be dropped off, and I need someone who understands that I'm disabled even though I don't look it.

Either way, we are so behind other countries with our vaccination roll out that I most likely won't be getting mine until after July.

7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes, the vaccination lady I spoke to on the phone was unsure if they would wait/take me home which seemed a bit stupid (the place was about 4 miles from where I live).
    People were allowed to wear their own face coverings. It was a really weird almost party atmosphere, one guy was asking how soon he could go on holiday.
    A mature lady volunteer was ushering people into one of two rooms where the actual jabs were happening; she was standing right next to people and being reassuring by holding their arm or putting her hand on their shoulder. I steered clear.

eta: should have said; a neighbour took me,walked with me to the front door and then brought me home.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  8. Mij

They will be offering jabs at City Hall, which is only 3 city blocks from where I live, so I'm not sure the driver will be pleased to drive me such a short distance and figure I can walk home? What happens if I feel unwell and faint on the street? I don't want to have this discussion with them ugghh.

9. Mij

Many years ago I took a cab to go 6 city blocks, the cab driver had a fit and went on about how I was his last pick-up and to call the station to tell them I cancelled my ride. I jumped out of the cab I was so afraid.

10. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The place I went to for 1st shot was a mess. Two way traffic on a ramp about a metre wide (if that!) and I was in a wheelchair with OH pushing. Other probs too. OH contacted our GP practice via their website after, and got a very nice phone call back from them thanking him for feedback, and letting him know that they'd discussed it with the other practices involved and it had been changed so properly one way system. Backed up with an email later too. So it's worth letting your GPs know if you've had any weirdness at a vaccine centre.

We're getting 2nd jabs a week tomorrow, and both at our GP practice (OH morning, me tea time) which I'm very happy about. They weren't set up at the point we went for 1st jabs.

11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

12. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is possible, but not with low-efficacy vaccines (60-70% efficacy) and will unfortunately require adapting bi-valent vaccines to target circulating variants. And children will need to be vaccinated too.

But I agree with the overall narrative - vaccines alone aren't a solution. Elimination policies (including quarantine!) has proven to be better for both economic activity and health!

MEMarge, Missense, Wits_End and 7 others like this.
  13. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My local surgery has a sister practise the next village over. The sister practise has been turned into a vaccInation centre.

My first thought was where is everyone? Have a lot of people not shown up? They had it's just the people running it were very organised & efficient.

Marshalls in the car park and they'd opened up emergency access to the car park for the empty building next door.

At least two very socially distanced marshalls in sight at all times to point you in the right direction.

The whole surgery was turned into a one way system.

We weren't asked to remove or replace our masks.

As soon as I arrived at the door I was asked to come in, sanitize my hands and take a socially distanced seat, handed a freshly sanitized pen & clipboard with paperwork to fill in. As soon as I returned it they clipboard and pen were sanitized again.

I was asked to stand for about a minute in a corridor before being called through for the jab. My derriére had barely left the seat before the chair was immediately sanitized.

I was called through, seated, ID verified, information given verified & jab given all in a few minutes.

I was given a little information card with my jab details and date along with the patient information leaflet. Apparently, you're supposed to bring the card back with you for the 2nd jab.

Then directed out the other way to a large airy waiting room to take a socially distanced seat for 15 minutes.

A nurse was keeping an eye on everyone waiting and told people when they could leave.

Clockwork.

JaneL, ladycatlover, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  14. Mij

So I called and the transportation offer is to and from the clinic.

JaneL, ladycatlover, Yessica and 6 others like this.
  15. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Brilliant! somebody sensible is in charge :)

JaneL, ladycatlover, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  16. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ohhh thank you for mentioning this.

Hmmm - depending what they use and the odor associated with it, this could be a huge problem for me. Even more with having to wait afterwards for 15 or 30 minutes. I may have to find an alternative that is different than this.

Sigh so many this, that and the other that we need to have in place and figure out regarding getting vaccinated. :(

JaneL, MEMarge, Missense and 4 others like this.
  17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was none of this with my home vaccination.

They came in, wearing masks, standard cheap masks.

At no point did either of them even attempt to maintain the legally mandated separation.

I did not fill in any forms, although I was asked a couple of questions, was I on certain meds, was I allergic to anything. I was told it would be the AZ Oxford vaccine and asked if I had any issues with this. I was told that the vaccine would not give me coronavirus.

The person who did the jab put on a disposable apron and gloves and then did the jab.

I was given a card, and told the next vaccination would be in 12 weeks or thereabouts, but no information as to how this would be arranged

The apron, and gloves, along with some other bits were put in a ziplock bag and I was told to put them in my domestic rubbish.

They then left.

No 15 minute wait to see if I turned into a flamingo or the elephant man.

They were here 5-10 minutes or so.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Hutan, JaneL, ladycatlover and 8 others like this.
  18. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was no noticeable odour at all.

Admittedly, it was a nice sunny spring-like day so the door was open and there was lots of fresh air.

I definitely didn't have a blocked nose or anything because I spoke to someone earlier just as I left my home and even though I stayed a good 6 foot from them I could smell the fabric conditioner on their jumper. So my sense of smell was still as sharp as ever.

I didn't register any scent at all with the vaccination centre.

Edit- the only people who came within 6 foot of me during the process were the lady who handed me the clipboard and pen and the same person took them back. She stayed as far as possible from me though. The nurse who did the injection only came within 6 foot while injecting me and immediately stepped away.

JaneL, ladycatlover, Mij and 5 others like this.
  19. Mij

When I had my blood draw at home last week, the nurse/technician sat right beside me (I was practically on her lap) when I had already set up everything in advance for proper protocol. I even had a make-shift arm rest with pillows set up so that she could stand on the other side like they do at the lab. Nope, she told me to 'move over' on my couch and sat right beside me and grabbed my arm and plopped it on her lap, and continued to talk with her smelly cheap perfume.

She ALSO does her rounds around the city visiting senior homes etc.

JaneL, ladycatlover, Missense and 6 others like this.
  20. Mij

Regarding scents at the vaccination centres, you might not notice the scent while wearing a mask, but the chemicals are STILL in the air which I found out after the technician left and I removed my mask. I had a horrible headache and shakiness from her perfume.

JaneL, ladycatlover, Missense and 7 others like this.